• The KillerFrogs

Remaining Basketball Recruits

73frog

I can't find much on the remaining recruits. I did find two blogs that quote him as saying he is down to Col St and Hawaii. i don't know if we backed off or he did but i feel good with Anderson.

If Moss and Cerina both leave, then i think we have two spots but most of the conversation is that we will take one more. That seems interesting. Christian has never had a full roster yet.

I like the ones that have signed so far and even if Moss and Cerina leave, it should be the most talented roster in a long time. Hopefully they can play together.

halfwaytoheaven

If Moss and Cerina both leave, then i think we have two spots but most of the conversation is that we will take one more. That seems interesting. Christian has never had a full roster yet.

With the departures of Moss and Cerina, we had six spots to fill. We have five recruits in the class right now, and apparently we've got one more coming soon.

And if Christian's been doing all the recruiting himself, kudos. This is probably the best class he's had yet, and he did it mostly without any help. But he's going to have to turn right around and start on the 2012 class, so he might want to hire some guys to work on that. And also, you know, free up some time to coach the games.

73frog

"With the departures of Moss and Cerina, we had six spots to fill. We have five recruits in the class right now, and apparently we've got one more coming soon."

I don't think that is right. i think they have six returning scholarship players, which would mean 7 spots to potentially fill. The six are Thorns, Cadot, Kone, Green,Fields and Ray.Now they may choose not to fill all 13 spots but i think they could take two more. i think it is hard to break in a large number of people every year and they may want to save one for a potential transfer or something.

I also don't think they have signed a new assistant yet. There was a posting that announced it but I think that was a mistake. There has not been a press release from the school.

ricksterh

"With the departures of Moss and Cerina, we had six spots to fill. We have five recruits in the class right now, and apparently we've got one more coming soon."

I don't think that is right. i think they have six returning scholarship players, which would mean 7 spots to potentially fill. The six are Thorns, Cadot, Kone, Green,Fields and Ray.Now they may choose not to fill all 13 spots but i think they could take two more. i think it is hard to break in a large number of people every year and they may want to save one for a potential transfer or something.

I also don't think they have signed a new assistant yet. There was a posting that announced it but I think that was a mistake. There has not been a press release from the school.

There was something a week or so back about signing an assistant who had previously coached at SMU and UTA and recently was a hc at a small school in La. But later when I went back to look for the article I couldn't find it. Maybe it was a mistake? :unsure:

I think it is interesting that Kone is still on the team. He is a big body and if he is still there Coach C must think he has the potential to contribute somehow? :huh:

halfwaytoheaven

He has people working with him, [Craig James]'t Bill Woo and DBO Cody Hopkins. They work, too.

That's right, I forgot we had three assistants. How involved is the DBO in recruiting?

If we do have a seventh scholarship available, might not be a bad idea to save it. For the first time, we'll be going into fall recruiting as a future Big East member, and we might lure a slightly higher cut of player. Of course, if someone really good comes around, by all means.

Gunner

That's right, I forgot we had three assistants. How involved is the DBO in recruiting?

If we do have a seventh scholarship available, might not be a bad idea to save it. For the first time, we'll be going into fall recruiting as a future Big East member, and we might lure a slightly higher cut of player. Of course, if someone really good comes around, by all means.

They let Kone play a little late in the season. Wish I could have seen more, but I think he is considered "notta" by Christian.

Virginia Frog

And if Christian's been doing all the recruiting himself, kudos. This is probably the best class he's had yet, and he did it mostly without any help.
Christian needs to pucker up and deliver a big sloppy one on GP (and the entire football staff.) His luck (I want to go to Vegas with him as a lucky charm), to still have a job after three downer going on miserable seasons, then along comes TCU's invite to the #1 basketball conference the BIG EAST.

As a result, recruitment now has become the easiest of his jobs.

He should have to produce a .500+ season in conference and .667+ out-of-conference for a wining record like a 16-13 (or better) for '11-'12 to stay employed IMO.

In your opinion? I am just asking because I see them rated almost equally.

Sorry I missed your question yesterday. A lot of the info I get is fourth hand but I do feel very confident that it is accurate that the coaches had Anderson higher on their board in this case, and the way things went down I think it makes sense. We had been talking to Stokes for a long time, but a better opportunity arose in Anderson, whom we had scouted early, but he didn't think much of us at the time, which was pre Big East announcement and we moved on to other targets in the fall.

When Anderson was released from his LOI we pounced on the opportunity. You didn't see our coaches flying to NY to lock up Stokes at that point because Anderson was now listening to what Christian had to say and saw the opportunity he had to be a starting point guard in the Big East, which was a big part of what drew him to Providence. Meanwhile Stokes never made it here, though he wanted to come, he would have liked to have gone to Iowa too, but the Hawkeyes were no longer recruiting him.

As for the rankings, everything I have seen shows Anderson as a notch above Stokes. Espn ranks Anderson as a 3 star prospect with a score of 89. They have Stokes rated as a two star player with a score of 86. Rivals has Anderson as a 3 star and hasn't bothered to rank Stokes and Max Preps has Anderson as a 4 star player. The national ranking that I have seen for Anderson have him in the high 30s to low 40s for point guards while Stokes is not rated as high. In my opinion, Anderson is the crown jewel of the class so far, and while Stokes would have been a solid serviceable player for us, Kyan is more Division 1 ready at this time, he is a better passer and has more experience as a pg than Stokes. With a healthy wrist, Anderson is also a quality scoring threat.