• The KillerFrogs

recruiting picture

frogman

There seems something wrong in the recruiting picture in Big 12.Is it by design by coaches regarding early recruiting or some thing happening with recruits or other reasons.

Winning programs with Stable coaching like TCU 1 recruit in year 2013 recruiting yeat,Oaklahoma 1 recruit,OK state 1 recruit,west virginia 1 recruit,Kstate 3 reruits.

Loosing programs with unstability in coachingUT 13 recruits,Aggies 13 recruits.UT stil has coach FEB and Aggies have their 4th or 5th Head coach in last 12 years.I could justify recruits for going to loosing programs for early play time ,yet with coaching uncertainties loosing may gon for a while especially for Aggies in SEC.

Not worried about TCU,we have cupboard full of Speed recruit they will perform with grat coaches we have.Interesting to see young men going to these programs which have not done well lately despit great history.

toad horny

There seems something wrong in the recruiting picture in Big 12.Is it by design by coaches regarding early recruiting or some thing happening with recruits or other reasons.

Winning programs with Stable coaching like TCU 1 recruit in year 2013 recruiting yeat,Oaklahoma 1 recruit,OK state 1 recruit,west virginia 1 recruit,Kstate 3 reruits.

Loosing programs with unstability in coachingUT 13 recruits,Aggies 13 recruits.UT stil has coach FEB and Aggies have their 4th or 5th Head coach in last 12 years.I could justify recruits for going to loosing programs for early play time ,yet with coaching uncertainties loosing may gon for a while especially for Aggies in SEC.

Not worried about TCU,we have cupboard full of Speed recruit they will perform with grat coaches we have.Interesting to see young men going to these programs which have not done well lately despit great history.

What the hell?

i could read it, and i don't read. He was just asking why athletes would want to go and play for subpar programs when there are better ones to look at.

kaiser soze

And now to the original post. It has been a weird recruiting season. 2012 did not end with the bang we wanted and 2013 hasn't started with the flurry we hoped would accompany TCU's new seat at the B12 table. I think a few reasons are contributing to that:

1) We are targeting the best TX has to offer. Teams with thier own momentum/inertia are winning those battles. No shame in that. TCU's mo was lost Feb 8. Hopefully the competition will get grounded when they actually have to produce on the field, something they have yet to do consistently in the last few years (ATM, Baylor, even UT recently).

2) Suprisingly, 10+ years of WAC/CUSA/MWC birds in the hand (or rings on finger) do not seem to be equal a couple Big 12 birds in the bush in the minds of 18 year olds. 2012 on field performance is the cure.

3) Drug bust timing. Seemingly came at a good time after signing day and pre-spring practice, but the disastrous affadavit release just as recruiting momentum /junior days started to kick up became easy negative recruiting fodder to sell to parents who are hearing it in Waco, CS, Dallas, Austin, Stillwater, Lubbock, etc. CGP is going to have to get back to work to re-prove his beliefs/expectations to parents. He's the man to do it.

4) Reality is better than anticipation. CGP's pitch will be much stronger in October 2012 than March 2012 when there are asses in seats versus cranes and steel. Patience tlll fall. But again, on field performance is a must. Another reason why the Feb 8 losses of certain defenders is tough.

5) Technology / recruiting changes. The now mature rivals/scout/247 networks are pinpointing a top 100-200 very early on . These kids connect at camps and now have techology like twitter and facebook to keep these going which makes recruitng much more clickish than it might have been in the past. I keep reading that player X is friends with Y or Z from another district or city, even state sometimes. CGP is likely already on top of this development, but I hope TCU football falls in line or sets a new one with how the rest of the nation is using these tools (legally) to attract a nexus of football talent and player recruiters to this team. A recruiter on a ship who may never contribute more than special teams but brings in 4 guys who do play/star may be far more valuable than a sold starter/teammate who contributes on the field but not in February.

6) Waco has momentum. Heisman, first day draft success. pro day hoopla with RG3. Sweet stadium announcement. Annual Sweet 16 expectations. Griner being the man in the wommen's tourney (literal and figurative). Again, 2012 on field performance wil be key. 6-8 wins or a breakthrough?

7) UT is UT. Got to beat them on the field (and go to a better bowl) in November for it to pay off next February and subsequent ones. Until then, they are a force to be reckoned with in February. A surprisingly strong Aggie is squeezing every last drop of juice out of their unique TX SEC orange. They made a nice hire who will chuck it around and be exciting in the SEC. However, they have to get a defense going or it will be more years of 6-6 to 8-4. Not bad at all in the SEC, but not the top of the mountain.

8) Speed. As the OP said, the cupboard is chock full with speed athletes. CGP has to make them football players now, who can execute his system. Didnt have enough of them in 2011 on defense. Not worried at all on offense especially with a wiser CP4, but we need defensive leaders to step up at LB and in the secondary. And no injuries. Prove it on the field.

In sum, 2012 is pretty damn important for TCU football. lets wish for sellouts and frog shutouts.

DickBumpastache

I really couldn't tell what the hell it said either. However calling Texas a "loosing program" is...inaccurate. UT was the team that kept TCU out of the national title game just 2+ years ago.

DickBumpastache

False the voters kept us out behind UT. We had the better resume.

Not the point. OP is silly.

I guess people just don't follow college football enough outside of TCU to know what a losing program is. That or they've become fans so recently that they don't remember how long we were wandering in the wilderness, and just expect to go 12-0 every season while UT stays 5-7. It doesn't work that way.

maximilian

False the voters kept us out behind UT. We had the better resume.

JagsFanWTF.gif

frogbyproxy

I'm not really sure what has happened this year compared to past recruiting. Ags going to the SEC got them a few commits and Texas? Well they are Texas and until they have another 5 bad seasons or 10 they will never drop on getting top 150 commits. I'd like to point out something I have always believed and that is the SEC is good but not that good! Until we get a plus one or a playoff they will always be a top conference in BCS BS. Good marketing sales anything if you get my drift.

tExAs this year didn't get but one commit on their first Jr day but just as our story broke in just one week they had 8 top 150 players. Is it just by accident I'm not sure so you will have to decide.
Oklahoma is working Texas first I think because both of their players just happen to be from here. KState has two also from Texas so maybe they are doing an Oklahoma.

TCU is looking at quite a few right now and if you've read some threads by Feisty and others there are players saying they are waiting on visits and the will commit to TCU. It looks like we had a little set back and things will be looking good soon.

Go Frogs!