• The KillerFrogs

Reasons to be Optimistic against OSU?

frognutz

p1966165636-5.jpg

jack the frog

Ok St aggy syndrome. They never can put it all together and find a way every year to fold in a big game that keeps them out of the big picture. Alway a chance that this is the game where they choose to El Foldo for the big prize.

SnoSki

Ok St aggy syndrome. They never can put it all together and find a way every year to fold in a big game that keeps them out of the big picture. Alway a chance that this is the game where they choose to El Foldo for the big prize.
We need OK State to have their annual early stinker against us next weekend. They are an enigma overall to me. They'll probably beat us but then lose to Iowa state or Texas this year.

W

Way of the Frog

Last off season and during Fall camp Patterson referred to the OkState game last year multiple times as an example of the offense not being able to run the ball when a defense basically dared them to do it.

Games like that are why Meachum is in Kansas and why CT is now on the TCU staff. I would not be surprised to see TCU pound the run if the Cowboys play the same style of defense and I would not be surprised to see Hill under center as we saw against Arkansas.

Moose Stuff

Last off season and during Fall camp Patterson referred to the OkState game last year multiple times as an example of the offense not being able to run the ball when a defense basically dared them to do it.

Games like that are why Meachum is in Kansas and why CT is now on the TCU staff. I would not be surprised to see TCU pound the run if the Cowboys play the same style of defense and I would not be surprised to see Hill under center as we saw against Arkansas.

I'd be shocked if shortening the game by running the ball wasn't part of the game plan.

TX_Krötenechse

Keys to success:

1. Run the ball successfully and control the clock

2. Force Rudolph to beat us with the deep ball. This will keep their defense on the field and let us score more easily, and they won't make 100% of their deep shots.

3. Win the turnover battle

That's really all we need to do. If we can contain their short pass and run game, then even though they'll score points on the deep ball, their defense will be gassed and sooner or later they'll start missing shots down the field. Getting a turnover or two to halt drives will also help immensely.

To be clear I doubt we can do this. But that's the game plan, I think.

jake102

-- SMU did a great job of prepping us for elite WRs.

-- oky State was perfect last week

Thats all Ive got. This is an awful matchup for us, especially on the road

Tom Brown

Not even close. OSU didn't have to do anything creative or even open up page 2 in the playbook against Pitt. Narduzzi did what Narduzzi does and didn't modify a dang thing against them...and they torched it again. OSU isn't that tricky. They scheme exceptionally well and execute even better with senior-experience in the system. Big difference this season is that Poke D is better (not great but if they can get off the field even a bit earlier in drives than they did last year, Okie Lite is gonna have things rolling). I know they haven't been "tested" this and that but Tulsa is no slouch offensively.

I meant everything clicking. Yoy live to disagree.

MinFrog

We have to limit their possessions and that comes down to sustained drives and being able to run the ball.

We all know how much improved our running game is.

But sustaining drives means converting third downs. Now go back and look at our third down conversion percentage, it's through the roof. Yes, it's against teams worse than OSU, but that will be huge. If we convert third downs and keep Rudolph of the field we will win. Another aspect here is that you can't lose yardage and take sacks. I think this is why Hill has been asked to work on these real quick passes. If the routes are all under 10 yards, it's tough for the dline to get the sack. We've been practicing for okie state for three weeks now.

Also, for the defense. You drop 5 and ask your front 6 to stop the run. Know why that may actually work this year? We have a freaking two deep for our front 6 this year - something GP hasn't had. We can run fresh bodies out there all game (especially if we sustain drives).

I'm calling my shot: tcu - 31 OSU - 21.

250 on the ground, 250 in the air (on 25+ completions due to short/quick passes).

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
It's the same old stuff:

Don't turn the ball over

Get a turnover or two

Avoid penalties

Don't take sacks

Force the other team to punt or settle for field goals more often that you have to do so

Conceptually the game is not complicated. It's all in execution

..and win by one point?

They didn't exactly shut Tulsa down.
Tulsa scored 10 points offensively against our first team defense. They got 7 on special teams and seven against the freshmen and walk ons in the fourth quarter.

USA didn't score against the first team defense. They to got a TD against he reserves in the fourth.

Pitt scored 14 points against the first team defense, using a QB we had limited film on. They scored their other TD on special teams.

In total, the Cowboys' first team defense has given up 24 points in three games, for an 8 points a game average.

In fact, in the first quarter of the three games, OSU scored a combined 59 to zero scoring total. No team has yet posted any score in the first period.

netty2424

Tulsa scored 10 points offensively against our first team defense. They got 7 on special teams and seven against the freshmen and walk ons in the fourth quarter.

USA didn't score against the first team defense. They to got a TD against he reserves in the fourth.

Pitt scored 14 points against the first team defense, using a QB we had limited film on. They scored their other TD on special teams.

In total, the Cowboys' first team defense has given up 24 points in three games, for an 8 points a game average.

In fact, in the first quarter of the three games, OSU scored a combined 59 to zero scoring total. No team has yet posted any score in the first period.
Dork

dawg

Only reasons for optimism I have are Hill didn't throw a pick this week (so maybe that's out of his system after chucking one each in the first two games), the o-line and RBs can control clock, and, well, stranger things have happened in CFB.

Captain Obvious checking in, but it's going to take a near-perfect 60 minutes, and then hope Okie St makes mistakes. Definitely can't lose turnovers 0-4 like in 2015.

Last edited: