• The KillerFrogs

Really OT: TCU Tuition

Endless Purple

Flawed, unless I missed part. By directing students to specific majors based on payback rate, it will flood the market with specific majors and cause a shortage in other areas. It gave the math major vs english major example. Are those math majors going to teach all the english classes in school?

Current system is flawed also.

Give all the students the same payback rate and time. The total payback amount can still be the same to lenders/investors, but it gives a better balance of majors for fulfilling the needs for the economy and society. It would act the same as health insurance is supposed to - spread the cost among many.

DeuceBoogieNights

Or....come to grips with the fact that there’s a significant percentage of college “students” who would be far better off doing something other than enrolling at four-year college and universities.

Agree completely but that is also on employers. Stop making the requirements for an entry level job of filing papers require a college degree. I see so many ridiculous requirements on basic job openings.

There are many issues. We need to push trades more instead of making college this thing everyone needs to do.

Froglaw

My family could barely afford TCU in 1977 at $72 per hour.

But TCU was and still is our school.

My dad and older sister went there. Mom went to Phillips (TCU sister school in OK - closed now).

So I worked saved and got Scholarships, grants, and a $500. Loan.

Doable, but tough.

I loved TCU and my 4 years there.

The answer for the modern family is scholarship,money.

We who have gone before must keep TCU affordable for those who want TCU.

I don't want us to be a rich kid only school.

The flavor of student life should be varied by race, economic level, gender, geography, and country.

That is the difference between a small college and a University..

TCU2002

My family could barely afford
I don't want us to be a rich kid only school.

This ship has sailed. I don't know how any genuinely middle class student can consider TCU unless they get awarded the full-tuition Chancellor's Scholarship (or, unless they are willing to borrow at levels which court financial catastrophe).

TCU has the highest median parent income of any Big 12 school (surpassing Baylor by....a lot). And the second highest in Texas, only to SMU.

70% of TCU students come from the top income quintile, a percentage which is comparable to the Ivies. By comparison, at UT-Austin this number is 56%. At OU, it is 52%.

More here: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/college-mobility/texas-christian-university

Last edited:

ticketfrog123

This ship has sailed. I don't know how any genuinely middle class student can consider TCU unless they get awarded the full-tuition Chancellor's Scholarship (unless they are willing to borrow at levels which court financial catastrophe).

TCU has the highest median parent income of any Big 12 school (surpassing Baylor by....a lot). And the second highest in Texas, only to SMU.

70% of TCU students come from the top income quintile.

More here: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/college-mobility/texas-christian-university

agree it’s definitely a rich kid school except for those on scholarship. Not as bad as SMU, where most students have $60k cars, but TCU has its fair share of that + celebrities visiting campus

edit: TCU went from $48k/year cost of attendance to $65k/year within 5 years

OICU812

Interview this morning on NPR discussing national trends. Huge drop in apps and enrollment for this year because who wants to pay huge tuition for online classes, but the profs and enrollment people interviewed said it's just the biggest drop of a 10-year national trend of dwindling apps and enrollment. They sounded pretty worried for their immediate and medium-term outlooks. I'm guessing the next two-three years are going to be really, really hard on a lot of previous-stable institutions.

HToady

Or....come to grips with the fact that there’s a significant percentage of college “students” who would be far better off doing something other than enrolling at four-year college and universities.
I am a firm believer that, if you manage to attend a 2 year community college, and do well, you can get in basically anywhere you want and have much reduced student debt. I've seen it first hand. It's the social life that drives the 4 year aspiration IMO. Who really wants to pay $3,000 for a history, english or sociology class when you can get the same for $150? Why, it's the students that want SAE or KKG more than an economical education....

Horny4TCU

Flawed, unless I missed part. By directing students to specific majors based on payback rate, it will flood the market with specific majors and cause a shortage in other areas. It gave the math major vs english major example. Are those math majors going to teach all the english classes in school?

Current system is flawed also.

Give all the students the same payback rate and time. The total payback amount can still be the same to lenders/investors, but it gives a better balance of majors for fulfilling the needs for the economy and society. It would act the same as health insurance is supposed to - spread the cost among many.
I get your issues with it, but it's not saying you can't have english majors. It is just presenting the facts about the job market.

If you enroll to be an English Major, you have to pay X back verse what an Engineer did based on the market.

So when the English majors get to be scarce, the pay X back will switch back to an English Major.

I think this would be a good way to eliminate those underwater basket weaving majors. Where there is no job market, just an easy way to get a degree that won't pay off in the future.

TCUdirtbag

Interview this morning on NPR discussing national trends. Huge drop in apps and enrollment for this year because who wants to pay huge tuition for online classes, but the profs and enrollment people interviewed said it's just the biggest drop of a 10-year national trend of dwindling apps and enrollment. They sounded pretty worried for their immediate and medium-term outlooks. I'm guessing the next two-three years are going to be really, really hard on a lot of previous-stable institutions.

Did they also mention the looming birth dearth/enrollment cliff? The pandemic is merely exacerbating/accelerating imminent enrollment decreases that higher ed was already barreling toward.

FWIW, TCU is pretty well positioned for what is coming.

researchfrog

This ship has sailed. I don't know how any genuinely middle class student can consider TCU unless they get awarded the full-tuition Chancellor's Scholarship (or, unless they are willing to borrow at levels which court financial catastrophe).

If I sent my son to Rice, Yale, or Chicago, he wouldn't pay any tuition because we don't make enough. (And yes, he is well within the admissions range for those schools.) But TCU offers him a scholarship for half tuition. So he'll probably end up at UT-D. TCU isn't particularly interested in high-achieving, middle class kids.

Horned Toad

My son, despite excellent academic credentials

If I sent my son to Rice, Yale, or Chicago, he wouldn't pay any tuition because we don't make enough. (And yes, he is well within the admissions range for those schools.) But TCU offers him a scholarship for half tuition. So he'll probably end up at UT-D. TCU isn't particularly interested in high-achieving, middle class kids.
I would have killed for a half-scholarship for my daughter. We got offered bumpkiss. She got a full ride mommy and daddy scholarship and we are solid middle class. That’s the problem of having a daughter go to TCU and being in the middle class. If you can fog a mirror as a male student, you’re likely to get something.

West Coast Johnny

State schools should cut down on the number of international students. My son goes to the University of Illinois and half the student body was born in Asia. I think the U of I should be first an foremost, for Illinois students, not foreign. I get that some universities want to recruit the best now matter where from but state schools should be for the state. This will cut down on demand and push prices lower.

There shouldn't be any tax payer assistance for students studying non-essential skills. No government interference for literature majors because they are not needed.

ECoastFrog

Do we expect teachers to have a college degree? I assume most folks would say 'yes.'

How can a prospective teacher go to TCU, knowing they will make $50K yearly, with insignificant raises over the years, and expect to pay back these loans?

Even loans for cheaper schools are going to be tough to pay back by the K-12 teacher.

PO Frog

Any reason in particular you would send your son to UT-D instead of Rice, Chicago, or Yale? Seems like a no-brainer but maybe I’m missing something. No offense to UTD.

researchfrog

Any reason in particular you would send your son to UT-D instead of Rice, Chicago, or Yale? Seems like a no-brainer but maybe I’m missing something. No offense to UTD.

He's a little young due to graduating high school in three years, so he wants to stay close to home. Plus, if he actually makes it all the way to National Merit Scholar, (he'll almost certainly be at least a finalist), UT-D has the best scholarship offer of pretty much any school. And STEM, so undergrad doesn't matter as much as other majors.

Wexahu

How can a prospective teacher go to TCU, knowing they will make $50K yearly, with insignificant raises over the years, and expect to pay back these loans?

Marry someone with rich parents, like a lot of TCU students do.

If you are a prospective teacher you shouldn't go to TCU, unless you are rich. If you are rich, you shouldn't need loans.