• The KillerFrogs

RA'SHAAD SAMPLES - crootin'

i sold baylor tickets in boykins senior year a week before the game for $350/ ea. - weather was so awful at kickoff they were giving tickets away.
The weather was awful but it just became part of it and it was one of my most fun experiences at a TCU game. It gave me the sads this year thinking of how far the program had fallen when we couldn’t come close to that crowd for our last home game against UT in the foreseeable future on a beautiful day. I hope that we get that back soon.

Eight

These kind of posts are incredibly short-sighted.

Yall remember that stretch from 2014-2017 right? We had a lot of low-recruited players and did just fine in the Big 12 which was arguably stronger then than it is now.

Also, those 2-star teams the program was built on beat the following programs.

Clemson
Boise State
Cincinnati
Utah
Iowa State
Wisconsin
Oregon
Oregon State
OU
Stanford
Texas

im sure im forgetting some.

You guys also remember the Big 12 is about to become a hybrid of the Big12/MWC/American?

I agree recruiting needs to improve, and im not saying we can win with just 2-star guys but, we dont need to get into TOM LUGINBILL mode about it.

when did tcu play cincinnati, boise utah, and wisconsin between 2014-17

as far as the "low-recruited" players that myth has been addressed multiple times on this site.

the 2008-2010 team did have a cluster of "2-stars" they hit upon, but that run in 2014-17 wasn't made up of scraps woven together in this great quilt of tcu football. there were some highly regarded kids in that list and if people keep wanting to blame the higher rated kids for the performance in 2016, and 2018-2021 they really haven't been paying attention

Moose Stuff

These kind of posts are incredibly short-sighted.

Yall remember that stretch from 2014-2017 right? We had a lot of low-recruited players and did just fine in the Big 12 which was arguably stronger then than it is now.

Also, those 2-star teams the program was built on beat the following programs.

Clemson
Boise State
Cincinnati
Utah
Iowa State
Wisconsin
Oregon
Oregon State
OU
Stanford
Texas

im sure im forgetting some.

You guys also remember the Big 12 is about to become a hybrid of the Big12/MWC/American?

I agree recruiting needs to improve, and im not saying we can win with just 2-star guys but, we dont need to get into TOM LUGINBILL mode about it.
There were very few (if any) 2 stars on those 2014-2017 teams. Those were very talented teams comprised of fairly highly recruited players. If there was a notable exception to that it would probably be Doctson.
The weather was awful but it just became part of it and it was one of my most fun experiences at a TCU game. It gave me the sads this year thinking of how far the program had fallen when we couldn’t come close to that crowd for our last home game against UT in the foreseeable future on a beautiful day. I hope that we get that back soon.
My then first grade daughter and I stayed until the bitter end. Most fun I’ve ever had at a TCU game.

CountryFrog

There were very few (if any) 2 stars on those 2014-2017 teams. Those were very talented teams comprised of fairly highly recruited players. If there was a notable exception to that it would probably be Doctson.

My then first grade daughter and I stayed until the bitter end. Most fun I’ve ever had at a TCU game.
Doctson and Derrick Kindred

geefrogs

when did tcu play cincinnati, boise utah, and wisconsin between 2014-17

as far as the "low-recruited" players that myth has been addressed multiple times on this site.

the 2008-2010 team did have a cluster of "2-stars" they hit upon, but that run in 2014-17 wasn't made up of scraps woven together in this great quilt of tcu football. there were some highly regarded kids in that list and if people keep wanting to blame the higher rated kids for the performance in 2016, and 2018-2021 they really haven't been paying attention

How can I help your reading skills?

I think we are having different conversations. My apologies.

geefrogs

The 2 star reference was to those teams prior to big 12. Which had alot of those wins that I listed.

Fun times though for sure.

One Frog Nation

While it is true a 5 star can be a bust, it is proven that stars do matter. Alabama / Ohio State / OU / etc are loaded with 4 and 5 star kids year in year out. Yes, some 2 and 3 star kids will get drafted by the NFL but most of the first few rounds are almost all 4/5 star. You can win with lower but you will not compete on a consistent high level without 4 and 5 star players. Coaches today learn how to manage the egos.

Zubaz

Moronic take. That's not all he beat up on.
When we were built on "Texas two-stars"? That was the overwhelming number of wins. From 2001-2007 or so when Patterson was "building" the program, our P5 wins were what? Northwestern 3-9 in 2002, 6-6 in 2004), Vanderbilt (2-10), Arizona (2-10), Texas Tech (8-5), Oklahoma (8-4), Iowa State (7-5), and Baylor (4-8 in 2006, 3-9 in 2007). Losses to Nebraska, Texas Tech, Texas, and Texas A&M? If I recall, we only beat two teams in those six years that finished the year ranked (Louisville in 2001, OU in 2005).

So outside of two or three games (OU and Tech, maybe Louisville), what super impressive win did those "Texas 2-Stars" have? Does anyone really think 2002 or 2003 TCU's recruiting would be sufficient for the current landscape of P5 football, even a UT or OU-free Big 12? I don't. Seems like we were the epitome of what the non-AQ stereotype was during that time period: Really good in theb confines of our conference, but not up to beating elite level teams with any regularity. That didn't really change until 2008 or so, coincidentally around the time that really started to improve our recruiting.

Not taking anything away from those players, just saying like others have said the notion that recruiting doesn't matter is pretty conclusively shown to be not true.

FrogCop19

When we were built on "Texas two-stars"? That was the overwhelming number of wins. From 2001-2007 or so when Patterson was "building" the program, our P5 wins were what? Northwestern 3-9 in 2002, 6-6 in 2004), Vanderbilt (2-10), Arizona (2-10), Texas Tech (8-5), Oklahoma (8-4), Iowa State (7-5), and Baylor (4-8 in 2006, 3-9 in 2007). Losses to Nebraska, Texas Tech, Texas, and Texas A&M? If I recall, we only beat two teams in those six years that finished the year ranked (Louisville in 2001, OU in 2005).

So outside of two or three games (OU and Tech, maybe Louisville), what super impressive win did those "Texas 2-Stars" have? Does anyone really think 2002 or 2003 TCU's recruiting would be sufficient for the current landscape of P5 football, even a UT or OU-free Big 12? I don't. Seems like we were the epitome of what the non-AQ stereotype was during that time period: Really good in theb confines of our conference, but not up to beating elite level teams with any regularity. That didn't really change until 2008 or so, coincidentally around the time that really started to improve our recruiting.

Not taking anything away from those players, just saying like others have said the notion that recruiting doesn't matter is pretty conclusively shown to be not true.
I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone has ever said recruiting doesn't matter. If so, point it out and I'll enjoy some crow.

What HAS been said (and implied) is that GP built this program on 2-3*'s. Rebuilding a program takes more than 6 years when you're doing so from the dregs where we were. Also, during the next three seasons, including when we won the Rose Bowl, we were still using mostly 2* & 3*'s. GP thrived on those kids that had a chip on their shoulder, that weren't viewed as "blueblood" material. Speaking of the Rose Bowl, Tank Carder, one of the best linebackers to play during the GP era and a TCU legend, was a 2*. To only pick the first 6 years of a program is disingenuous at best.

Zubaz

I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone has ever said recruiting doesn't matter. If so, point it out and I'll enjoy some crow.

What HAS been said (and implied) is that GP built this program on 2-3*'s. Rebuilding a program takes more than 6 years when you're doing so from the dregs where we were. Also, during the next three seasons, including when we won the Rose Bowl, we were still using mostly 2* & 3*'s. GP thrived on those kids that had a chip on their shoulder, that weren't viewed as "blueblood" material. Speaking of the Rose Bowl, Tank Carder, one of the best linebackers to play during the GP era and a TCU legend, was a 2*. To only pick the first 6 years of a program is disingenuous at best.
The underlying message here sure appears to be that 2* / 3* teams were stronger than teams filled with highly recruited athletes, if that's not the case then disregard. I think it's pretty clear the opposite is true, and the teams and classes that we put together back then are not at the level we would need them to be today, regardless of the chip on their shoulder, because the level of competition ramped up significantly in 2012 (as we saw in 2012 and 2013, obviously). Sure, there are the occasional diamonds in the rough, just as there still will be today, and nobody got more out of them than Patterson, but they are the exceptions rather than the rules.

FrogCop19

The underlying message here sure appears to be that 2* / 3* teams were stronger than teams filled with highly recruited athletes, if that's not the case then disregard. I think it's pretty clear the opposite is true, and the teams and classes that we put together back then are not at the level we would need them to be today, regardless of the chip on their shoulder, because the level of competition ramped up significantly in 2012 (as we saw in 2012 and 2013, obviously). Sure, there are the occasional diamonds in the rough, just as there still will be today, and nobody got more out of them than Patterson, but they are the exceptions rather than the rules.
I'll agree with you for certain that GP got more from less than any other coach out there. As I stated above, even with the low-starred players we held our own in the BigXII for the first few years (certainly better than was expected) with no appreciable increase in "star power." I don't think anyone claims those teams were stronger, but if you look at the statistics, it's hard to argue against the fact that the more stars we've had, the lower we've performed. I am firmly in the camp that Patterson didn't adapt to that caliber of player well enough to get what we expected, much less what we needed, out of them. I don't think that means the teams were "stronger", but one could argue that they were "better."

Wexahu

Heard it said quite often back in 2009 and 2010 that those teams were as good anyone in the country and the Top 5 rankings they had were very well justified. And I'm not sure there was a 4 star kid on those teams. If there were, it was very few of them. Are we now conceding that those teams really weren't all that good if we now say that you need 4 and 5 star kids in order to compete with the elite teams? That's what doesn't really compute.

I am not disagreeing with you, just pointing out how arguments and povs can change quickly depending on what we're talking about.

My opinion is you need top level talent but if you're gonna have a 5-star or two on your team, they better be the right ones. It's still a team game and everyone for the most part needs to check their ego at the door.

Zubaz

Heard it said quite often back in 2009 and 2010 that those teams were as good anyone in the country and the Top 5 rankings they had were very well justified. And I'm not sure there was a 4 star kid on those teams. If there were, it was very few of them. Are we now conceding that those teams really weren't all that good if we now say that you need 4 and 5 star kids in order to compete with the elite teams? That's what doesn't really compute.
You heard me say that? Where?

Zubaz

Not you. Just TCU fans in general.

Good lord, if someone said those teams maybe weren't as great as we thought they were, they'd be roasted on here.
I definitely took the "any given Saturday" view of those teams, but would put our Big 12 rosters against just about any of them save maybe for 2009.

My only objection to the whole "they don't have the athletes for the weekly grind" back then was that it ignored context. The athletes that we got knew we didn't have the same weekly grind or power conference status and committed accordingly. You don't get to criticize us for not having power conference depth when we couldn't get most athletes that wanted to be in a power conference. Didn't mean we couldn't build a team that was capable of competing in any given week.

OmniscienceFrog

A lot of teams you listed there that weren't New Mexico or Wyoming.