• The KillerFrogs

Questions for the board about additional upgrades and maybe a Gameday Chat

Should we look into adding a chatroom for gameday coverage or stick with the gameday thread?

• Let's try the chat room!

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • What? Stick with the thread!

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Thank y'all for being patient while I got us up and running on the new board software and spent the day tweaking the theme. The outpouring of support and suggestions have been great and I feel like this theme has gotten a lot of things right, more so than the one I've been working on with our app developers for our upcoming mobile app release (that one more closely mimicked the old board look). I've informed them that they should use this theme for the app integration moving forward, but there are a few things we still need to address and one possible upgrade I'd like everyone's opinion on.

First, the loose ends. Obviously we're rocking an ad free version of the board at this time as I haven't integrated our ad network just yet (but we do need to pay the bills). However, I plan on making any ad integrations as unobtrusive as possible for any guests viewing the board, and especially for our registered members. Back in 2012 when we joined the Big 12, Scott and Wes rolled out a paid membership level that increased a penny each year. As I've mentioned previously there were several items we were working on at the time of Scott's passing that were put on indefinite hold and work on that paid membership was one of them (however I kept them going per Wes' request). Now that we're getting things back on track we are revisiting those plans and with the upcoming launch of the mobile application the paid membership will be a part of that. I don't have all the details just yet, but I'd like to hear what y'all would want as far as benefits, swag, and forum privileges if you were to become a KillerFrogs paid member. Those of you who paid for a KMA or Tier level membership in the past will still receive your ad free experience, but we want this place to be about you and I'd like to know what you want.

Second, this new board software has a nice chat add-on that I think would be a great addition for gameday coverage. However, if y'all love the gameday thread experience and have no interest in the chat I'll just put that on the back burner. So, let me know what you think in the poll.

Finally, please note there is no BAN STEEL option... at this time.

TxFrog1999

Didn't we run a chat room a few years ago? Seemed to work pretty well actually. Wasn't a fan of the incessant logged-in, logged-off notifications but there was probably a way to disable that and I just didn't find it.
Yes we had one but it was for the old board software (pre XenForo days) and you’re right, the connection issue caused us to abandon it. This would be a completely different system.

TxFrog1999

I like the GameDay thread. I never read or post during home games so it is fun to go back through afterward and see the reactions/overreactions. If there's a chat it will probably need mods to avoid spam.
This chat module would allow us to kick members for spam or behavior and the chat itself can be preserved as an archive that can be viewed later and even searched.

jack the frog

I appreciate what y’all do. It is easy to forget that UT OU Baylor and Tech have all lost versions of their boards over the years and have had to move to less friendly and sometimes more expensive iterations associated with 247 etc. We’ve had it good. I’ll re-up on my paid membership I can get ever get PayPal to work for me again.