• The KillerFrogs

Question, was the :01 a reviewable "play"?

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Someone brought up some points on the ESPN board that the Big XII refs should not have been allowed to review the clock on the McCoy pass out of bounds.

Anyone know the rule?

Punter1

QUOTE(Gehörnter Frosch @ Dec 5 2009, 11:26 PM) [snapback]467095[/snapback]
The clock is definitely reviewable.

ARTICLE 6. No other plays or officiating decisions are reviewable.
However, the replay official may correct egregious errors, including those
involving the game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable.
This excludes
fouls that are not specifically reviewable (Reviewable fouls: Rules 12-3-2-c
and d, 12-3-4-b and 12-3-5-a).

[Deleted].

TxFrog1999

Had to go look it up... http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbm...;ATCLID=1522906

It seems the only review of the clock that is allowed under the rules is when a play on the field is reversed, then the refs can review the play to determine the correct time. Unless I'm reading this wrong, an obvious incomplete pass that was not reviewed does not warrant a review of the clock. Therefore the refs got that wrong.

TxFrog1999

QUOTE(Punter1 @ Dec 5 2009, 11:35 PM) [snapback]467127[/snapback]
ARTICLE 6. No other plays or officiating decisions are reviewable.
However, the replay official may correct egregious errors, including those
involving the game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable.
This excludes
fouls that are not specifically reviewable (Reviewable fouls: Rules 12-3-2-c
and d, 12-3-4-b and 12-3-5-a).

[Deleted].

Where did you find that Article?

It's simple. They were reviewing it to see if it was indeed an incomplete pass, and noted that there was still one second on the clock when the whistle blew.

Or....

They were reviewing to see if McCoy had crossed the line of scrimmage.

Or....

Pick whatever you want, they'll find a way to justify it.

weklfrog

I expect to wake up tomorrow morning to see a story indicating that the Big12 commisioner rules that the play was not reviewable, the official game ended with the incomplete pass and the win is awarded to Nebraska. I suspect that they are meeting about it as I type.

QUOTE(weklfrog @ Dec 5 2009, 11:46 PM) [snapback]467171[/snapback]
I expect to wake up tomorrow morning to see a story indicating that the Big12 commisioner rules that the play was not reviewable, the official game ended with the incomplete pass and the win is awarded to Nebraska. I suspect that they are meeting about it as I type.

Yeah.. that would be the perfect ending

The Bird Man

MY QUESTION IS---THAT WAS A DIFFERENT CLOCK THEY SHOWED ON REPLAY THAN WAS ON THE NORMAL TV SCREEN---WHAT CLOCK WHERE THEY SHOWING????????? IDIOT ANNOUNCERS HAD A GOOD POINT...IF NEBRASKA DIDN'T PRESSURE MCCOY TIME WOULD HAVE RAN OUT..........................THAT WAS SO CLOSE

WHAT CLOCK---SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER ME

TxFrog1999

QUOTE(weklfrog @ Dec 5 2009, 11:46 PM) [snapback]467171[/snapback]

I'm not going to hold my breath, and I'm not expecting this to get any airtime past tonight, I was just curious on the rule.

But when I close my eyes tonight... :biggrin:

The Bird Man

FROM THE BIG12 WEB SITE-----Can Nebraska protest---does anhyone know if that is possible????????? By these rules that was not reviewable.

Instant Replay Guide
All Division I-A conferences have requested a uniform system of replay to be included in the rules book. As this is permissive, not mandated, the rule would allow for growth without forcing all institutions and conferences to use video review. The committee notes that overall game times increased by two minutes in Division I-A, with several conferences that used replay reporting shorter game times.

Section 1. Definition
Definition
Article 1. Instant Reply is a system utilizing electronic means to review and assist game officials with certain on-field decisions as listed in Section 3.

Section 2. Eligibility for Instant Replay
Participation
Article 1. a. Any member institution may use instant replay. This rule is permissive, not a requirement. If instant replay is used, it must be used in full compliance with this rule.
b. For any non-conference game, if the home team is using instant replay, the visiting team does not have the option of declining its use for that game. If the home team is not using instant replay, the visiting team does not have the option of requesting that it be used in that game.

Section 3. Reviewable Plays
Side Line, Goal Line, End Line
Article 1. Reviewable plays governed by a sideline, goal line or an end line include:
a. Scoring plays, including a runner in possession of a live ball breaking the plane of a goal line.
b. A pass ruled complete, incomplete or intercepted at a side line, goal line or an end line.
c. A runner or pass receiver ruled in or out of bounds.
d. Recovery of a loose ball in or out of bounds in the field of play or an end zone.
Passes
Article 2. Reviewable plays involving passes include:
a. A pass ruled complete, incomplete or intercepted anywhere in the field of play or an end zone.
b. A legal forward pass touched by an ineligible receiver.
c. A legal forward pass touched by a defensive player.
d. A fumble ruled on the part of a potential passer. (Note: If the on-field ruling is forward pass and the pass is incomplete, the play is not reviewable).
e. A forward pass or forward handing ruled when a runner is beyond the line of scrimmage.
f. A forward pass or forward handing ruled after a change of possession.
g. A pass ruled forward or backward when thrown from behind the line of scrimmage. (Exception: If the pass is ruled forward and is incomplete, the play is not reviewable).
Miscellaneous
Article 3. Miscellaneous reviewable plays include:
a. A runner judged to have been not down by rule. (Note: If a runner is ruled down, the play is not reviewable).
b. A runner’s forward progress with respect to a first down.
c. Touching of any type kick by any player.
d. The number of players participating by either team during a live ball.
e. A scrimmage kicker beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball is kicked.
f. Clock adjustment when a ruling on the field is reversed.
g. A fumble recovery by a Team A player during fourth down or a try and before any change of possession.

Plays Not Reviewable
Article 4. No other plays or officiating decisions are reviewable. Section 4. Instant Replay Personnel, Equipment and Location
Personnel

The bottom line is they got it right, regardless how wrong it might have been.

The last thing any real sports fan would want is to see TCU or Cincy get in on some technicality.

We all saw the ball hit the ground with one second left on the clock.

TxFrog1999

Bird Man, I agree, based on the text you posted (same as the link I added up top). However, Punter's found Article (would still like to know where he got it from) does state the officials can review the clock in special circumstances even if the play wasn't reviewable. But, since the link and your text are from the official Big XII review rules I'm not sure what to believe.

It won't change the outcome, but damn if it wouldn't be fun if it turned out to be a fact that the play should not have been reviewed.

What if there is a clock malfunction?

Clearly they can use replay to figure out the right amount of time that should be on the clock.

What if there is a clock-operator error? What if the guy pushes the button is in the middle of sneezing? None of these things involve an actual play being reviewed.

TxFrog1999

QUOTE(FrogByBirth @ Dec 6 2009, 12:01 AM) [snapback]467227[/snapback]
They got it right......

let's have some class

Yes they did, just curious as to the rule. In most games I've watched the clock is stopped when the whistle blows, not exactly when the ball hits the ground. I'm not disputing the call, you're right, the ball hits with a second left, but how many times during that game did the clock bleed one or two ticks on an incomplete pass, and why should that play be handled differently?

TxFrog1999

I made the topic invisible, its not something that needs to be discussed.

My curiosity surrounding Big XII rules has waned for the night, and I'm being a stubborn jackass and not furthering the discussion.