• The KillerFrogs

Practice updates......

LSU Game Attendee

Lots I agree with here. I read those comments from other Big 12 coaches and spent the entire article thinking how not one of them pondered what might happen to this team with a healthy Turpin/Nixon/Lewis/Song, added depth on the DL, and improved coaching on the OL. We'll see how that all manifests itself but I'm pretty confident we're gonna be a better team.
Like Limp has noted, I bet it's mostly recruiting propaganda attempting to minimize the frogs. That, and wishful thinking.

Purp

Purp, I never heard much in terms of dissension with offensive leadership. What was that all about? Were there struggles between Meach and Cumbie, or just no real focal point for the players to look towards with two co-OC's at the helm, plus a Patterson to please? Just curious to get your take.
My understanding is that there were different ideas for what was best for the team in terms of offense between Meach and Cumbie, and maybe even Meach and GP too. In some ways it appears that difference filtered down to the team and they never were really well prepared or in sync after that.

Hughes Your Daddy

My understanding is that there were different ideas for what was best for the team in terms of offense between Meach and Cumbie, and maybe even Meach and GP too. In some ways it appears that difference filtered down to the team and they never were really well prepared or in sync after that.

Interesting, makes sense to me though. I appreciate the response.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I've heard it was mostly between Meach and GP that caused the rumblings. That's why he got canned.

Nick Danger

IIRC, in his media day remarks, GP threw some shade at Meach for abandoning the game plan and getting cutesy with play calling during games last year. Said he looks forward to having an offensive game plan that's stuck to this season.
Additionally, I seem to recall reading that Patterson wanted the game plans to have more planned runs by Hill or some such!

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Consider me excited about this season. I've been high on the defense being MUCH improved, and I'm starting to think the OL might actually be quite a bit better and spring our offense. Throw in the positive news on Song, and I'm fired up.

In my top 3 wishes for 2017, were a kicker worthy of a D-1 team, an aggressive GP defense, and quality QB play. Coach P said Hill had his best practice ever. If this news keeps up, I'm going to be one happy camper -- like a bettor who won the trifecta.

Last edited:

McFroggin

In my top 3 wishes for 2017, were a kicker worthy of a D-1 team, an aggressive GP defense, and quality QB play. Cosch P said Hill had his best practice ever. If this news keeps up, I'm going to be one happy camper -- like a bettor who won the trifecta.

We've had a quality QB. Just haven't had quality WR or O-line.

ScottPatrick

Quality guy, I guess. But very, very bad QB play. Same WR's that finished the 2015 season, same OL coach. Only change was QB but suddenly WR and coach suck? You gotta be kidding me. Never had any training in experimental design and evaluation, huh?

In 2015 the top 4 receivers were Doctson, Nixon, Turpin and Listenbee. Only one of those played in 2016 and he had an injury riddled year.

McFroggin

Quality guy, I guess. But very, very bad QB play. Same WR's that finished the 2015 season, same OL coach. Only change was QB but suddenly WR and coach suck? You gotta be kidding me. Never had any training in experimental design and evaluation, huh?

Poor reading comprehension and didn't watch 2016 football?

I said nothing of coaches.

WR corp without Listenbee and Doctson looked to Slanina and Turpin. Both plagued by injuries were shells of 2015 form. Other expected replacements were disappointments. Hicks led the team in receptions due to check downs. #1 in the nation in dropped passes.

O-line was top 3 in Big 12 with sacks allowed and close to UT which we joke about having an awful O-line.

#1 in dropped passes, nobody could get open, and top 3 in sacks. Despite all that, Hill was top 4 in completion percentage in Big 12.

Limp Lizard

In 2015 the top 4 receivers were Doctson, Nixon, Turpin and Listenbee. Only one of those played in 2016.
Only Nixon and Turpin finished the season. Did you see where I said "finished the 2015 season"? Finished. Like the last 3 games where we went 2-1 with a one point loss to OU, a CFP participant:
  • OU: Nixon 5-23 yards, Listenbee 4-98; Listenbee, Turpin and Porter had TD catches
  • Baylor: Nixon 2-6, Listenbee 1-5; Turpin and Stewart had TD catch each
  • Alamo Bowl vs. Oregon: Nixon 9-71, Listenbee 1-(-1); Austin and Porter had one TD catch each
Summary of the last three games: Doctson, Nixon and Listenbee combined had 22-202 yards and one TD catch. Receivers who played in 2016 had 32 catches for 451 yards, and 6 of the 7 total TD catches.
QB's were 61-109-5 for 748 yards and 6 TD. Foster Sawyer one of our 2016 QB, contributed 9-19-3 107 yards and 1 TD. Remove him since he played last year and you have 52-90-2 for 641 yards 5 TD's. 57% 5 TD, 2 ints. TD/int = 2.5. Last year:295-495-14(!), 18 TDs. TD/int = 1.28. Once the only difference between the end of 2015 and all of 2016 was the QB play. Not saying it will not be great this year, just saying that was by far the #1 factor last year. We will know soon enough.