• The KillerFrogs

Practice updates......

CountryFrog

I wouldn't make the assumption that none were at practice. There is a group that can come to practice whenever they want. I have no doubt some of them post on here.
Probably true. I would make the assumption, however, that most of the people able to go to the practices have little to no idea as to how to properly judge the practice as good or bad.

Frog-in-law1995

Not conveniently. Same coach who developed those players. Hill could not get rid of the ball quickly. Whether this was due to the design of the play or his inability to make quick reads, I don't know. GP said the team's success this year will be based on the play of the QB and the improvement of the defense.

Same QB coach too, so no reason to worry.

CountryFrog

Only Nixon and Turpin finished the season. Did you see where I said "finished the 2015 season"? Finished. Like the last 3 games where we went 2-1 with a one point loss to OU, a CFP participant:
  • OU: Nixon 5-23 yards, Listenbee 4-98; Listenbee, Turpin and Porter had TD catches
  • Baylor: Nixon 2-6, Listenbee 1-5; Turpin and Stewart had TD catch each
  • Alamo Bowl vs. Oregon: Nixon 9-71, Listenbee 1-(-1); Austin and Porter had one TD catch each
Summary of the last three games: Doctson, Nixon and Listenbee combined had 22-202 yards and one TD catch. Receivers who played in 2016 had 32 catches for 451 yards, and 6 of the 7 total TD catches.
QB's were 61-109-5 for 748 yards and 6 TD. Foster Sawyer one of our 2016 QB, contributed 9-19-3 107 yards and 1 TD. Remove him since he played last year and you have 52-90-2 for 641 yards 5 TD's. 57% 5 TD, 2 ints. TD/int = 2.5. Last year:295-495-14(!), 18 TDs. TD/int = 1.28. Once the only difference between the end of 2015 and all of 2016 was the QB play. Not saying it will not be great this year, just saying that was by far the #1 factor last year. We will know soon enough.
Lots of numbers here, but I don't think any of them do much to support your argument.

SuperTFrog

Probably true. I would make the assumption, however, that most of the people able to go to the practices have little to no idea as to how to properly judge the practice as good or bad.
I do agree with that. I think the main thing pointed out was that we were still dropping passes. I think most fans would be able to tell that (or at least I hope so).

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
So, 1 post about practice and 100 posts of opinions. Jeesh it never ends on here.
duty_calls.png

ifrog

GP also said multiple times last year that a lot of the INTs and incompletions were not on KH, but on his receivers. If you're taking GP's word to the bank you should remember that one too.

Good point. Can't have it both ways.

CountryFrog

I do agree with that. I think the main thing pointed out was that we were still dropping passes. I think most fans would be able to tell that (or at least I hope so).
Of much more importance, though, is who were the players dropping the passes, were they dropped in live action or warm ups, were they true drops or good defensive plays, were the passes on target, etc. Plus how many were actually dropped. One person could go to a practice, see 4 drops and freak out; while another could see those same 4 drops and see no issues due to the surrounding circumstances of each one.

A generic "drops look to be a problem again" really means nothing by itself. That said, drops were absolutely an issue last year, so they absolutely could be an issue again this year. I just put zero stock into anyone's opinions of a practice outside of the coaches, and the coaches are rarely going to be 100% transparent.

CountryFrog

I don't think that's a fair assumption.
It absolutely is. Even if you have an extensive background in coaching then it's really hard to come away from a few practices with an educated opinion of what happened without knowing the specific coaching objectives of each session of the practice(s).

Not to mention the eternal paradox of "is the offense succeeding because the defense is failing" and vice versa. The coaches of the team are usually the only ones who have a really good feel for this, and even they usually need several hours of film review to know.

netty2424

It absolutely is. Even if you have an extensive background in coaching then it's really hard to come away from a few practices with an educated opinion of what happened without knowing the specific coaching objectives of each session of the practice(s).

Not to mention the eternal paradox of "is the offense succeeding because the defense is failing" and vice versa. The coaches of the team are usually the only ones who have a really good feel for this, and even they usually need several hours of film review to know.
By that logic, you pretty much just shut down all fan boards, forever.

EDIT: fwiw, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your points.

Moose Stuff

I wouldn't make the assumption that none were at practice. There is a group that can come to practice whenever they want. I have no doubt some of them post on here.

Yes, some people can go to practice. I'm pretty sure they all know better than to post on here about what they saw. That tends to not go over very well. Hell, we had a guy with access to the team post some stuff last spring and then he disappeared off the face of the earth. Hence the comment that nobody posting in this thread was at practice.

Moose Stuff

I think we can all agree that dropped passes would be fairly easy to detect and comprehend. I'm not worried about them right now but I think it's a pretty safe bet that PO knows someone who was at practice and witnessed some dropped passes.