• The KillerFrogs

PGA Tour agrees to merge with Saudi-backed rival LIV Golf

Eight

A year or two? In a year or two, at this rate, we will be living in a completely new world, Steels' friend...

True Detective Time GIF

FrogAbroad

would guess the u-turn is the issue

when you wrap yourself in the flag, literally using the emotions tied to the tragic death of thousands and resulted in starting a couple of wars to throw [ Finebaum ] at the golfers who left you for more money when you yourself are a money grubbing Briles who made this decision for monetary reasons it does smell a bit

as i said above, in a year or two none of this will matter
That makes sense, and I certainly can't disagree with that perspective. Monahan postured publicly as a face then when the price was right revealed himself to be a heel. Gotcha.

Rory, Rahm, Morikawa, JT, Spieth et. al. each turned down hundreds of millions and ended up in the same place. I bet they are furious.

I can’t see how Monahan survives.
Woods turned down $700-$800mm for just a few of tournaments a year. Then he turned down $1B.

I still think they get paid. PIF has the $$$.

Eight

when any of the commissioners of the nfl, nba, and mlb say or do something it usually is to either preserve, protect, or increase the value of the franchise owned by their employers

with this however, you have the commissioner of the pga tour, a nonprofit with over a billion a year in revenues right now, speaking out and the question is on the behalf of whom?

personally this is similar to the heads of various bowl games talking about how important their games are to college football, but exactly who aside from the players on the tour directly benefits from the increased revenue

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
They're all pretty much scumbags, the Pro Sports Suits. It'd be nice for Monahan, Silver, Manfred, and the execrable Goodell to vanish into the septic tank, but, they will be around to continue to screw things up for a long, long time. I just quit enjoying Pro sports due to their meddling and debasing of their various charges, and now I don't watch any of it. Mexican soccer is about it, and that's because the games don't have commercials, and I can't understand the announcers. Inscrutable jabbering, and no imbecile commercials. What's not to like?

FrogBall09

Since I'm not a follower of golf at any level, I don't have a dog in this fight. Nevertheless the apparent controversy does make me wonder "why?" To a non-fan it looks like a business combination that should pump more money into the professional golf industry, and give it more media exposure on well-established sports networks.

So my not-intended-to-sound-snarky question is, why (aside from Mr Monahan's U-turn) is this such a cause célèbre?
Well I realize your name says abroad so maybe you were only in FtW for TCU - but as an example, this battle with LIV throwing money at players and the PGA responding with Elevated events to keep players has basically put a time bomb on the Colonial invitational.

It will take a few years for Schwab to get through this contract before they decide its not worth what they are paying, the tour wants to move us to a less desirable spot (not that sandwiched between the PGA and Jack is that great now), the members to get even more tired of bad fields and losing time during the best golf weather for tourney prep- especially after a year of no golf and spending $25-30 mil on the rebuild - before the event goes away.

So eventually this chase for money to make rich pro golfers even richer (because none of this benefits number 250 in the world - its all about the top tier despite the fact that they act like pro golfers are so taken advantage of...) will result in an initial severe downgrade and eventual loss of our local tour event.

The longest running event on one course on the PGAT will no longer support the local community, Cook Children's, etc

Now multiply that by the other 20 events that won't see Elevated status enough to stay relevant and keep sponsors....

LIV and Elevated have been great for the top golfers checkbooks - but terrible for actual golf