• The KillerFrogs

OT - Starting a new career in late 30s/early 40s

HFrog1999

1 month for every 10K in salary you want. So 80k will take about 8 months to find a job and get it. So give yourself time and squirrel some money away before resigning and/or have something lined up before resigning.

Practice interviewing. Use the star method if you're outta practice, or even if you want to improve your interviewing skills. Be positive in the interview, even if they ask a negative question, spin it. Dress in formal business attire (black suit preferred, white shirt, good tie with no logos). Research the company, have questions for the interview, and have thank you notes. Get business cards before you leave, hand write a thank you, leave it with the secretary. If you have a phone or zoom interview, send an email thank you. You'll land most any job you want, just spin your resume to the industry.

My former boss was a big Step Brothers fan, so when we were hiring, we agreed that anyone wearing a Tux was an automatic hire

GloriousSingleFluke-size_restricted.gif

mc1502

OP, just as a side note, late 30's, early 40's leaves more than half of your working life ahead of you (15 - 20 years of work behind you, 25ish ahead). Make the move. 25 years doing something you do not like is not a good thing. Life does not have to be a grind.

I worked for JPMorgan Chase for ten years after college, then made the jump into outside sales. I had a bunch of friends in sales who seemed to enjoy their jobs a lot more than me, so I started looking into it.

I started in construction industry sales in 2014 and then last year moved to a new company selling CNC machines for the manufacturing industry. Machining/manufacturing is a whole world I never really knew existed and it’s great. I’m currently in the process of trying to sell machines to a company that recently landed the contract to build the next International Space Station.

Absolutely love the life of being an outside sales rep and could never imagine going back to a standard 9-5. Sales jobs can be absolutely terrible or they can be fantastic, depending on the industry, company, and manager. If anyone gets into sales, my main advice is to go out every single day and bang on doors. Don’t be lazy and don’t be afraid.

Side note: It may seem like it’s never the right time to make a career move for a variety of reasons, but just do it. Last year in a 3 week span… I started my new job, I got diagnosed with cancer, the Covid pandemic hit, and my son was born. Just don’t be a pu$$ and make it work.

I echo these sentiments. I've been in my field for 18 years. Near the end of year 13 I was approached to go into sales. I hesitated but eventually made the best career decision ever. I use my background of 13 years producing the product/service to sell myself and my company. I'll never go back to a desk job. Not gonna lie, the perks of happy hours, golf, Ranger games, etc are pretty cool but the greatest overall benefit is getting out to talk to and get to know a lot more people than I ever would have behind the desk. Like Ron said, if you work hard and knock on at least a few doors a day sales isn't really that hard.

Paint It Purple

Be humble. No body gives a [ #2020 ] what you did the last 15 years. I was very disgruntled by the lack of respect for what I had done. I had to take a lower position than I should have but got promoted quick. Of course I was promoted quick because I should have started at the higher level. I felt like they looked at me as a 40 year old with an MA and nothing else really. I had a full page list of accolades, nobody cared. Find where you want to be and take the job that will get you the opportunity you deserve now but may not get looked at for.
Your's is great advice. I thoroughly enjoyed my career out of college, but the money wasn't what I wanted. I took your approach and ended up making the kinda of money I deserved and wanted, plus I feel lucky to have work that I absolutely love.

Cougar/Frog

I worked in a high stress industry for a decade and was very burned out. I then decided on the major career change at 36, including new schooling. It was enjoyable, until it didn't work out, as my new field was changing and the opportunities just were not there.

So, I ended up back in my old field. It is still stressful but I make good money and do occasional meaningful work. The main thing is that it is easier to handle in my 50s than my 20s and 30s.

Would it have been nice if the career change had worked out? Yes. But just trying it was really good in every way but financial, as it was a huge setback. But I don't regret trying to change careers at all. I would have been miserable if I hadn't at least tried.

As I person who spent 33 years in one industry, I have found that the best and most enjoyable years are the ones where you work for people who like, and appreciate you. When you work for people who don't care for you or are poor people managers, it is miserable.
This is great advice. Who you work for is as important as what you do.

When interviewing, always remember that you are interviewing THEM as potential employers.

Eight

If you don't know what industry or job, think long term. And when you're thinking about it, ask, "Can this job be replaced by robots in 5 to 10 years.)

Being an educator, you have soft skills, people skills, teaching skills, which are not replaceable. Look into something with negotiation or training.

fool, in 5 to 10 years we are all going to be "replaced" by robots

dcKEInT.gif

Spike

I've been in public education for 15 years, and I think it's time to go another direction. Thing is, I'm not really sure of what that direction is....so I'm curious to hear from those who have done it out there.

Spent 9 years in law enforcement then went to law school. Way happier now in private practice.

Always leverage your network. Threads like this are a great idea. What are your friends/neighbors/guys from church, etc doing and is it something you could do without a 3.5 year investment like lawschool? Several of the guys have mentioned sales and if you have the personality and temperament for something like that I would explore that.

Daniel Weir

I've been in public education for 15 years, and I think it's time to go another direction. Thing is, I'm not really sure of what that direction is....so I'm curious to hear from those who have done it out there.
No advice on direction, but I left a successful career in professional theatre to go to law school at age 44. Some 28 years later and a successful law career, I can advise to go for it. Loved my theatre career, but going to law school fulfilled a long held dream. GO FOR IT.

ftwfrog

I know a dude who was a coach, damn good one for years. Around age 60 he kind of lost interest and had less and less fire for the sport. He turned to music. He was scheissing terrible but insisted on continuing to produce [ Finebaum ]ty country songs. He continues to coach but you can tell his heart is not in it. He shoulda just moved on and retired. Learn from him.

BRINGING IT BACK TO SPORTS!!!

asleep003

Once you've decided on the the career to challenge...
come back here on how to go about it... and then how to interview for it once you have some knowledge about it.
You have the career experience you have ... can go back to it easily, so nothing to fear but fear itself !
Call the resource depts of companies of your chosen field, tell the Resource MGR that you are happy to start
from the bottom.... Your degree and that you stayed in a field for 15 years and still young and also brave, will go a
long way.