• The KillerFrogs

OT - Road Conditions and School Closings

Chongo94

Seems like a lot of schools have already cancelled classes and closed for today but near as I can tell, the roads look fine thus far.

Anyone run into any actual hazardous road conditions in DFW proper?

StinnettFrog

Saw some moisture on the road and overpasses around 287 to I30. Couple of accidents on 287 and more once I got onto I30. I understand there was a fatality accident on I30 and Beach Street.

researchfrog

There were many wrecks on I-20 in southwest Tarrant County. A coworker counted seven between White Settlement and Hulen. I skipped I-20 for 183 this morning. It wasn’t bad at all, but the real bad weather will be later.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Surface roads in Arlington, Kennedale, and Mansfield are fine... at the moment.

My kid's school just announced early dismissal at noon today and Tarrant County College, in keeping with their wait until the last second to begin thinking about closing, will probably not have an announcement until most students that drive to class from work will already need to be on the road.

PurpleBlood87

this is nothing for most birds
Listening to the radio, flights are being canceled right and left.

"According to the website FlightAware, 116 flights out of Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport had been canceled due to the wintry weather as of 11:15 a.m. on Monday. An additional 80 flights were delayed. Inbound, another 113 flights have been canceled and 61 delayed."

Toad Jones

My kid's school just announced early dismissal at noon today and Tarrant County College, in keeping with their wait until the last second to begin thinking about closing, will probably not have an announcement until most students that drive to class from work will already need to be on the road.
According to local service-look for schools to be closed most of the week. Re: weather will worsen in the next few days. NWS said with these conditions as soon as the rain hits the road it freezes w/n a minute.

Any of you remember the eighties when we had HAil, HAIL, RAIN, RAIN FOR DAYS. You step one foot on the sidewalk and the next you feel is this thump of your derrière.

Eight

According to local service-look for schools to be closed most of the week. Re: weather will worsen in the next few days. NWS said with these conditions as soon as the rain hits the road it freezes w/n a minute.

Any of you remember the eighties when we had HAil, HAIL, RAIN, RAIN FOR DAYS. You step one foot on the sidewalk and the next you feel is this thump of your derrière.

truthfully, don't remember much of the late 80's through early 90's

Last edited:

Chongo94

Thanks everyone. I was trying to determine what to do about work stuff today. I canceled what I had just to be safe.

Then proceeded to head to the gym in Aledo. Wasn’t bad initially but that sleet @RollToad mentioned was rough. Roads out on 377 look dangerous as all get out.

Eight

Slid like I was in Tokyo Drift this morning on 1187 near I20. I turned around and went home, darn that. Just had some fairly heavy sleet too.

clarification here, this was because of the weather and not because you had decided to climb back up on the steel horse so to speak

Chongo94

Tech was the absolute worst at this….they would actually fail to cancel on most bad weather days and then because everyone was so pissed they didn’t cancel, they would cancel the next day when all the weather had already passed.

Ridiculous.

December 1983 sleet storm. Hit the Friday of finals week and most students had already left town. Nothing moved in Fort Worth for several days. Kind of like 2014 but without good cars with anti-lock brakes.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Tech was the absolute worst at this….they would actually fail to cancel on most bad weather days and then because everyone was so pissed they didn’t cancel, they would cancel the next day when all the weather had already passed.

Ridiculous.
I'm actually surprised that TCC cancelled so early in the day, before the rain came, and then cancelled tomorrow's classes as well. In my 15 years working for them, when they did cancel, it was all classes were cancelled and campuses closed after 5PM and then wait until the morning for a decision on the next day. I guess the new chancellor learned a few lessons.