• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
This is next up.
Read a great book "Kokoda" by Peter FitzSimons.

The film takes place in the aftermath of the complete collapse of the British Army in Malaysia, resulting the the fall of Singapore. The fall of Java and all the Dutch East Indies along with the destruction of the ABDA Fleet (Including the "Galloping Ghost of the Java Coast" the heavy cruiser Houston) followed closely along. Six straight months of brutal and costly defeats with not an single victory to celebrate. In the words of Wellington, "It was a close-run thing." Between the defense of the Kokoda Trail, and the counter-offensive of the Chindits (See: Viscount Slim, Defeat Into Victory https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defeat_into_Victory ) the Allied victory against the Japanese hung on very slender threads...

ShadowFrog

Moderators
The film takes place in the aftermath of the complete collapse of the British Army in Malaysia, resulting the the fall of Singapore. The fall of Java and all the Dutch East Indies along with the destruction of the ABDA Fleet (Including the "Galloping Ghost of the Java Coast" the heavy cruiser Houston) followed closely along. Six straight months of brutal and costly defeats with not a single victory to celebrate. In the words of Wellington, "It was a close-run thing." Between the defense of the Kokoda Trail, and the counter-offensive of the Chindits (See: Viscount Slim, Defeat Into Victory https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defeat_into_Victory ) the Allied victory against the Japanese hung on very slender threads...
Not doing the one up-man thing.
Here, some more history:

PurpleBlood87

The film takes place in the aftermath of the complete collapse of the British Army in Malaysia, resulting the the fall of Singapore. The fall of Java and all the Dutch East Indies along with the destruction of the ABDA Fleet (Including the "Galloping Ghost of the Java Coast" the heavy cruiser Houston) followed closely along. Six straight months of brutal and costly defeats with not an single victory to celebrate. In the words of Wellington, "It was a close-run thing." Between the defense of the Kokoda Trail, and the counter-offensive of the Chindits (See: Viscount Slim, Defeat Into Victory https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defeat_into_Victory ) the Allied victory against the Japanese hung on very slender threads...
USS Houston and USS Marblehead.

The Japanese expected to run roughshod through the Pacific for six months after Pearl Harbor giving the Japanese time to gain all the natural resources they thought they needed and also build a defense area around them.

Almost six months to the day after Pearl Harbor the battle of Midway happened.

Have you seen this movie?

PurpleBlood87

Kokoda started late July 1942.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Kokoda started late July 1942.
Eh. What's a couple of months?

The Japanese logistical buildup had been going on for some time, and the Allies knew what was coming. Even so, the buildup of supplies in Australia was maddeningly slow, and the front-line saw little in the way of support.

I haven't seen the film, but I probably should.

PurpleBlood87

Eh. What's a couple of months?

The Japanese logistical buildup had been going on for some time, and the Allies knew what was coming. Even so, the buildup of supplies in Australia was maddeningly slow, and the front-line saw little in the way of support.

I haven't seen the film, but I probably should.
The first troops they sent to Kokoda were untested and with little support. They learned how to fight very quick.

Commanders didn't let them take medium machine guns or medium mortars because they thought they were too heavy to carry up the Kokoda Track.

Last edited:

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
We just started Monsieur Spade on Acorn. Only one episode in but it shows promise. It follows the further adventures of Sam Spade in 1961 France

Also available on AMC+
I thought I should follow up on this

I watched the entires series and while I especially liked many things about the production - individual acting performances in particular - I have to say that overall the writing/plotting let the actors down. The settings and costuming were also quite nice. I recommend it with those reservations. Maybe a C+ or a very weak B- for me. The finale felt rushed, unbelievable and chaotic

Still though I do believe it’s worth a look.