• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Thank you.

It was already "Meh" for me, as I had read that the whole thing was a thinly-disguised relentless slam of Unbelievers in Globull Warmening.

I think it was Louis B. Mayer who said, "If you want to send a message, hire Western Union."
Actually, supposed to be a slam at Covid deniers from what I read.

Not sure about global warming. Pretty sure it’s happening, just not sure of the cause. 61 on Christmas here when avg usually in the 30s. I have read some accounts from glaciation experts that don’t get wide reporting (shocking) that as arctic ice melts it causes salt to be diluted which will eventually freeze faster, which change currents which will begin a cooling cycle. We are in an inter glaciation warming period that is part of natural cycling. There was just something buried on the back pages recently indicating the Gulf Stream is already showing sign of change. Just not convinced this is all or much man made…

Last edited:

jack the frog

I got all of the political shots in the movie, but I liked it. Nice dumb spoof. Made me think of a Leslie Nielsen movie

I don't think anyone missed the Simple Simon political inferences. Bottom line, when I see Streep and DiCaprio on the marquee of what is promoted as political satire I fairly well know what to expect and set my expectations accordingly. Oh and Shatner and the piranha tank
still cracks me up. One of the Naked Gun movies I suspect lol.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I don't think anyone missed the Simple Simon political inferences. Bottom line, when I see Streep and DiCaprio on the marquee of what is promoted as political satire I fairly well know what to expect and set my expectations accordingly. Oh and Shatner and the piranha tank
still cracks me up. One of the Naked Gun movies I suspect lol.
Okay. But you did say you don’t like a lot of politics in your movies and yet that was what this whole movie was about…

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

Not sure about global warming. Pretty sure it’s happening, just not sure of the cause. 61 on Christmas here when avg usually in the 30s. I have read some accounts from glaciation experts that don’t get wide reporting (shocking) that as arctic ice melts it causes salt to be diluted which will eventually freeze faster, which change currents which will begin a cooling cycle. We are in an inter glaciation warming period that is part of natural cycling. There was just something buried on the back pages recently indicating the Gulf Stream is already showing sign of change. Just not convinced this all or much man made…
Doesn't really matter. I don't have a lick of respect for them, and ridiculing a projected image of what they think I am is hardly something I would pay to watch. They can fester in their irrelevance for all I care...

As to "Climate Change" it is important to note that it has been far and away warmer than it is now, and it has been far and away colder, too. 13,000 years ago, present day Chicago was under about five miles of solid ice, and glaciers extended as far south as Texas. Much of the ground on my ranch is glacial loess, and this boundary is found in many places in Texas. In the Octagon Fort in Fredericksburg, there is a Wooly Mammoth tusk found during the construction of a bridge some years ago.

I'd rather it be warm.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden

Not sure about global warming. Pretty sure it’s happening, just not sure of the cause. 61 on Christmas here when avg usually in the 30s. I have read some accounts from glaciation experts that don’t get wide reporting (shocking) that as arctic ice melts it causes salt to be diluted which will eventually freeze faster, which change currents which will begin a cooling cycle. We are in an inter glaciation warming period that is part of natural cycling. There was just something buried on the back pages recently indicating the Gulf Stream is already showing sign of change. Just not convinced this all or much man made…
So putting as much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere as we have since the industrial revolution has no impact? Its a closed-loop system; any significant change would have an impact somewhere. The climate is one terribly obvious example. Same with ocean acidification. I get it; it sucks because if we caused it, we’d seemingly feel compelled to change what we’re doing. Which would mean radically changing energy production and consumption. And a whole bunch of people who hold a lot of power have made vast fortunes, so they’ll block any attempt at change. So we’re heading like a runaway train to a mass extinction event that we’re already seeing the beginnings of. Without transformative change, the only questions will be how quickly will extinction ramp up - and in the long run - will humans be included.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
lol, if you want to play the reductive game, I’ll give it a go. If you only breathed the “lifeblood of all plant matter” you‘d lose consciousness in a few minutes, be brain damaged in four minutes, and shortly thereafter dead from total anoxemia.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Watched "American Hustle" last night.

Can't believe it took me this long to discover Amy Adams' most revealing performance.

PO Frog

lol, if you want to play the reductive game, I’ll give it a go. If you only breathed the “lifeblood of all plant matter” you‘d lose consciousness in a few minutes, be brain damaged in four minutes, and shortly thereafter dead from total anoxemia.
Weirdly non-responsive. There was nothing reductive about my post nor did I mention anything about humans breathing pure carbon dioxide. Plants like the carbon dioxide. Humans prefer the oxygen. That’s why it’s a great relationship. In with the good, out with the bad.
More oxygen, better crop yields, fewer starving deaths. What a place god has created for us.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
Weirdly non-responsive. There was nothing reductive about my post nor did I mention anything about humans breathing pure carbon dioxide. Plants like the carbon dioxide. Humans prefer the oxygen. That’s why it’s a great relationship. In with the good, out with the bad.
More oxygen, better crop yields, fewer starving deaths. What a place god has created for us.
Okay, sure. I’ll play this game, too. To summarize that all the changes being caused on earth due to vast amounts of carbon dioxide pumped into the atmosphere is “thinking carbon dioxide is a toxin” IS absolutely reductive — don’t play coy. Plants don’t “like“ carbon dioxide any more than they crave the electrolytes in Brawndo. And humans don’t “prefer“ oxygen. In both cases the very nature of plant life and animal life require that respiration. One isn’t good, one isn’t bad. Symbiosis is indeed an incredible thing and why it is so catastrophic when the system gets thrown out of balance by burning a vast quantity of fossil fuel since the 18th century. Not only has there been an imbalance by the burning of fuel, there’s been no attempt to counter it with an infusion of oxygen. In fact, if anything, humans make matters worse by unprecedented deforestation. In the end, the earth obviously doesn’t care one way or another — it’s just a planet. It’s seen innumerable changes in its 4.5 billion years. There have been five mass extinction events — in one where like 98% of life in the oceans were extinguished and 70% of life on land. Will the one caused by humans be that bad, or worse? And will humans be one of the few species to survive it?

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
So putting as much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere as we have since the industrial revolution has no impact? Its a closed-loop system; any significant change would have an impact somewhere. The climate is one terribly obvious example. Same with ocean acidification. I get it; it sucks because if we caused it, we’d seemingly feel compelled to change what we’re doing. Which would mean radically changing energy production and consumption. And a whole bunch of people who hold a lot of power have made vast fortunes, so they’ll block any attempt at change. So we’re heading like a runaway train to a mass extinction event that we’re already seeing the beginnings of. Without transformative change, the only questions will be how quickly will extinction ramp up - and in the long run - will humans be included.
This is laughable even if man made climate change is a thing

LisaLT

I think I'm going to rewatch Curb Your Enthusiasm season 11 again. Frickin hilarious!!!!
Hungry Season 11 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

HG73

Maybe addressed already. I just saw 12 Mighty Orphans. Decent movie. Predictable in many areas. I recognized some Fort Worth locations where the movie was shot. TCU referenced once. I wonder why it has not been propted up more? Like I said, not great but not bad for a sports movie. Maybe next season it will get more play before football season.
12 mighty Frogs? Na, never mind!
Yes, good movie on its own, plus FW/TCU etc. Saw the Matrix 4, glad I went.

I think I'm going to rewatch Curb Your Enthusiasm season 11 again. Frickin hilarious!!!!
Hungry Season 11 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

The season finale was funny but not hilarious as it has been all year. And while it was funny I found Vindman's presence, satirization and ultimate monetization of his whistle-blowing to be completely off-putting. Writing a book is one thing. Making light of it on a sitcom is another. Farcical would be the appropriate word.

But Leon...Leon always steals the show. Somehow they've managed to not over-expose him and find just the right amount of Leon to write into every episode.

Last edited: