• The KillerFrogs

OT: Lone Star Beer. Question from some of the older beer drinkers here.

Not much of a beer drinker, but Shiner Bock out of the tap is pretty darn good..as for Lone Star, I like the taste...just don't feel well after I drink one...yes only one, have had others say the same too.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
When compared against many European Bocks, Shiner can certainly be described as coming up short in flavor. However, when you take into account the price between Shiner and something like Celebrator Bock its value and quality are tremendous.

Lone Star come a long way in the last decade and is certainly worth drinking over Bud, Miller, and Coors' offerings.

Recently I've been finding myself frequenting False Idol Brewing which happens to be down the street from my campus here in NRH. They do a lot of various IPAs and some terrific barrel aged stouts, but their lager and wheat beers are solid if you're not into hops or dark beers.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
When compared against many European Bocks, Shiner can certainly be described as coming up short in flavor. However, when you take into account the price between Shiner and something like Celebrator Bock its value and quality are tremendous.

Lone Star come a long way in the last decade and is certainly worth drinking over Bud, Miller, and Coors' offerings.

Recently I've been finding myself frequenting False Idol Brewing which happens to be down the street from my campus here in NRH. They do a lot of various IPAs and some terrific barrel aged stouts, but their lager and wheat beers are solid if you're not into hops or dark beers.
Celebrator is a Double Bock, a style which was first expressed in Salvator. This old Monk's recipe was so renowned that all dopplebocks were named with a word finishing in "-ator" to denote their lineage. The "Shiner 100 Commemorator" was a dopplebock.

Shiner Bock was, it is rumored, merely their Blond with some extra syrup added for color and flavor. In the early 90's after new ownership, a brewmaster from by-Ghod Bavaria was hired, and he began producing a proper Bock beer, which is the present Shiner Bock we all know and love. His second "new" beer was the Shiner "Summer Stock" a Kolsch-style beer featuring a Horned Frog on a cactus. Since then, Shiner has frequently issued special beers of varying styles and really had some fine things to offer.

Ah, beer. I think it's time I went and fetched one.

jack the frog

I don't think I have had a Lone Star since the late 1970's. It is still the same crap that they brewed then? Texas makes some great beers, but LS and Pearl ain't one of them. I remember in the mid-70's when a friend of mine and I ordered LS by mistake and thought that the Coors on tap was really gross! He stopped drinking his and I finished mine, and had a bad stomach for a couple of days.

It's just that you see a Texas bar scene on TV and everyone is drinking Lone Star.

We viewed Corona the same way back then. We referred to it as mule pi**. I haven’t had a beer in well over two decades, maybe they have improved the beer or maybe we were kids that couldn’t tell the difference.

I knew a beer distributor in Alpine in the early 80’s. We would drive a pickup down that way and drive back to Midland with 20 free cases of Lone Star. Store it at one of the cool parents garage. The price was right but we hated drinking the stuff. It sounds like Lone Star has picked up their game.

Wexahu

On a slightly different note, I would love to know who was in charge of the marketing for Tito's Vodka. That has become a wildly popular national brand in a relatively short period of time.
No kidding. It's everywhere.

And honestly, I am no connoisseur, but think it's very average. Can't tell one bit of difference between Tito's and any other well vodka out there.

RufeBruton

Back in the fraternity’woodsie’ days, we bought three kegs. Two for drinking, one (generally Lone Star) for throwing. Don’t know if Lake Benbrook ever recovered from the pollution.

Celebrator is a Double Bock, a style which was first expressed in Salvator. This old Monk's recipe was so renowned that all dopplebocks were named with a word finishing in "-ator" to denote their lineage. The "Shiner 100 Commemorator" was a dopplebock.

Shiner Bock was, it is rumored, merely their Blond with some extra syrup added for color and flavor. In the early 90's after new ownership, a brewmaster from by-Ghod Bavaria was hired, and he began producing a proper Bock beer, which is the present Shiner Bock we all know and love. His second "new" beer was the Shiner "Summer Stock" a Kolsch-style beer featuring a Horned Frog on a cactus. Since then, Shiner has frequently issued special beers of varying styles and really had some fine things to offer.

If every other brewery in the world besides Shiner went out of business, I’d have all the beers to choose I’d ever need.

FrogCop19

Username checks out...:p

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
On a slightly different note, I would love to know who was in charge of the marketing for Tito's Vodka. That has become a wildly popular national brand in a relatively short period of time.
What might blow people's mind is that the majority of Tito's is made Florida and TX Whiskey is made in Indiana.

Paint It Purple

Shiner has a lovely portfolio of beers, from Shiner Blonde, all the way to Shiner Black, a schwartzbier (Black Lager), with Kolsch styles and Wheat beers as well. The Bock is, of course, mother's milk...
Beer is beer. My old father in law said there are two kinds of beer....Hot and Cold

Frogs1983

That's freaking fantastic. I was never a very accomplished brewer and most of my exploits in the field of beer were cut real short once I started having kids. Maybe one day I can get back into to it.

I was a total hop head for a while until I was skiing one year in Telluride and not acclimated to the altitude. I felt like the IPA's were just evaporating the water from my body. A buddy of mine who lived there ordered a beer on tap, handed it to me and said you will enjoy this. It was a PBR and it was fantastic at the time. I became less of a beer snob that day.
PBR on tap is darn good in my book.

tjcoffice

Someone in San Antonio started brewing Pearl beer with the original recipe from the 1880's. That is a great lager with much flavor. Its like night and day from the Pearl I knew way back when. But, have not seen the new Pearl on the shelves lately.

Horned Toad

My tailgate partner brought some Dos Equis to the Baylor freezing rain game. I didn’t drink any before the game and we stayed there for the entire game and celebration afterwards. We got back out to the tailgate and it was the only beer we had left. I twisted the top off a freezing cold one and drank it down in about three gulps. One of the most satisfying beers I‘ve ever had. I’ll never forget that.