• The KillerFrogs

OT: Jerry Lee Lewis passed away.

froginaustin

Many years ago I met a gentleman whose firm was a patron/sponsor of Austin City Limits for several seasons, and the social conversation got around to "what did you get out of that deal?" or the like.

The response was to the effect of:

"I met some of the most wonderful, gracious people I've ever met [whispered: Dolly Parton],

and some of the most worthless, unpleasant people I've ever met [whispered: Jerry Lee Lewis]."

The sponsor was a good man, very likeable and personable. And a good judge of character in general, although I have no idea whether or not his assessment of worthlessness in this comment is accurate.

CryptoMiner

Many years ago I met a gentleman whose firm was a patron/sponsor of Austin City Limits for several seasons, and the social conversation got around to "what did you get out of that deal?" or the like.

The response was to the effect of:

"I met some of the most wonderful, gracious people I've ever met [whispered: Dolly Parton],

and some of the most worthless, unpleasant people I've ever met [whispered: Jerry Lee Lewis]."

The sponsor was a good man, very likeable and personable. And a good judge of character in general, although I have no idea whether or not his assessment of worthlessness in this comment is accurate.
The guy just passed away.

tcudoc

I saw that TMZ had stated that he was dead, then retracted that statement. I told my wife, "he will be dead within 36 hours." And here we are. Where there is smoke there's fire and TMZ rarely misses.

Strat Frog

The Killer, as he was called, was revolutionary. Intense performances with great stage showmanship. Different. Southern. Gospel roots. Battered the piano rather than playing it. Listen to Middle Aged Crazy, or What Made Milwaukee Famous, not just Great Balls of Fire. A true legend is now gone. Adieu.

Virginia Frog

The Killer, as he was called, was revolutionary. Intense performances with great stage showmanship. Different. Southern. Gospel roots. Battered the piano rather than playing it. Listen to Middle Aged Crazy, or What Made Milwaukee Famous, not just Great Balls of Fire. A true legend is now gone. Adieu.
Jerry Lee's surprising D-FW/Texas connection is just south of the MetroPlex in Waxahachie at the Southwestern Assemblies of God College (now University) where he was "expelled for having played a boogie-woogie rendition of "My God Is Real"." (WIkipedia)

He had two famous first-cousins: Houston-area's Mickey Gilley (recording artist and namesake of Pasadena TX mega honky tonk "Gilley's" made internationally famous by the film "Urban Cowboy" (great score, IMO) AND Baton Rouge's televangelist and frequenter of New Orleans Airline Highway dive motels Jimmy Swaggart who said during his sex scandal "Forgive me God, for I have sinned!" (What I believe he meant was "Forgive me contributors, I'm human so getting some extra tail was just too big of a temptation, you understand. Keep sending in your weekly checks!") JLL father and MG mother were brother-sister. I couldn't fine the exact JLL-JS first cousin connection but it was likely through the Lewis family for all three to be "first-cousins" to one another.

That dude could play and his music was absolutely revolutionary. Give credit where's credit is due.

Last edited: