• The KillerFrogs

OT: Glen Campbell passes away

"Southern Nights?"

Glen Campbell made Southern Nights a huge hit. It was written by the late great Alan Toussaint. There's a very good documentary about Toussaint on YouTube. He arranged and wrote in many different genres and had a number of hits sung by folks like Bonnie Raitt, Box Scaggs and Lowell George/Little Feat. Not to derail a thread on a worthy artist....just a parenthesis

Froginbedford

It's on youtube, so check it out...."Zippa-dee-doo-dah," produced by Phil Spector and sung by Bob B. Soxx and the Blue Jeans (yeah, early '60s cheeze)...guitar riff is Glen Campbell, I've read before....

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I remember Glen Campbell from his early days (1954-1960) in Albuquerque NM. He played in his uncle's band (D.ick Bills and the Sandia Mountain Boys) and was a frequent guest on "K Circle B Time"--a kid's show on KOB television (NBC Affiliate/Channel 4).

Riding on the trail to Albuquerque,
Saddlebags all filled with beans and jerky.
Headin' for K circle B,
The TV ranch for you and me.
K circle B in Albuquerque.
Yoodle Ae, eee, ae, aeeee, aeee.....

bwood

3/4s of the people on the board are going, "who?".

On that note....

I took a trip to Pebble Beach a few years ago with some guys from work. Someone dropped out so we ended up as a group of 5 and being the young guy I got put as the single for each tee time. When we played Spyglass I got paired up with a group of 3 old guys (one even had the handicap flag on the cart) but right before we were going to tee off I asked if I could drop back with the younger twosome behind us so there would be 3 and 3. I get to hole 2 and the cart girl stops me and asks if I noticed who was playing in the group ahead of us. I think she was offended when she was so excited to tell me it was Glen Campbell and my response was "Who?". The guys at work still give me grief for that one.

stbrab

Guy sold more albums than the Beatles did in 1968. Sold over 45,000 albums in his career. Say that is pretty dang good. Not many good country singers left and I hate that. Now most all sound like pop bands that talk about tailgates, dirt roads, and/or a girl in a truck
Considering Magical Mystery Tour topped the charts for the entire months of January and February; and the White Album was released in December, I find this hard to believe...but no denying Glen Campbell was a great artist. Sad to see him gone.

Jet Set Frog

Campbell was an incredibly prolific artist. Some stats:

During his 50 years in show business, He...
- released more than 70 albums.
- sold 45 million records.
- accumulated 12 RIAA gold albums, four platinum albums, and one double-platinum album.
- placed a total of 80 different songs on either the Billboard Country Chart, Billboard Hot 100, or Adult Contemporary Chart, of which 29 made the top 10 and of which nine reached number one on at least one of those charts.

Paint It Purple

Guy sold more albums than the Beatles did in 1968. Sold over 45,000 albums in his career. Say that is pretty dang good. Not many good country singers left and I hate that. Now most all sound like pop bands that talk about tailgates, dirt roads, and/or a girl in a truck
Consider banning all Nashville C&W and switch to Texas Reddirt genre. If you like songs with heart like Glen Campbell's, you'll appreciate the switch.

tcudoc

So poor you could only afford 7 tracks?

#theyusedtohavethingscalled8tracksbackbeforeitunesandcds
7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 dwarves. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby.
I7GvA2.gif

TCUFROG1998

Considering Magical Mystery Tour topped the charts for the entire months of January and February; and the White Album was released in December, I find this hard to believe...but no denying Glen Campbell was a great artist. Sad to see him gone.
yep its true. And he and most any country singer from that era was better than the Beatles in my opinion. Yep, I said it!