• The KillerFrogs

OT - Fairly Iconic TV Intros

Limp Lizard

Zsa Zsa was a pretty funny woman.

After Johnny Carson's rather painful divorce, she was a guest on the Tonight Show. The conversation wandered in the direction of marriage breakups, and the fact that she had a number of them. She said to Johnny, "Oh, and I'm a great housekeeper!"

Eyebrows were raised. No one could imagine her wielding a Hoover. She continued, "Every time I get a divorce, I keep the house."

Poor Johnny! He just laughed so hard, genuinely. Everybody on the set was just gasping while she sat there with her cigarette in it's holder...
Great story of Zsa Zsa. But Ava was the Gabor on Green Acres.
Also I meant to say a 21st century feminist.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Anyone remember this? I watched a lot of them, but we were in Japan and they were dubbed into Japanese. Even the title song was translated, although you could understand "Casey Jones" in the lyrics. We only got to listen to a couple of shows a week in English, so it gave you a lot of ability to use your imagination as to what was happening.

Froginbedford

Don't know why since my dad and I watched every western on the air (except this one), but never saw this TV show until about 5 years ago....In the early episodes, sometimes "boulders" would ripple (painted canvas, I suspect), Robert Fuller was always a bit angry (I know that was his character at first), there was a little brother and an older man who was the ranch caretaker/cook, played by Hoagy Carmichael....Then, one year, the little brother and Hoagy got on the stage to take the kid to school "back east" and neither returned and no story line offered an explanation....

Mean Purple

A show that I remember from pre-teen days....Never have given it much mental time since it went off the air...until now....Thanks for the memory....
Yeah, I only knew about it because of a Jimmy Buffett song. (line mentions Gardner McKay - the actor) Asked my dad and he told me about the show.

Mean Purple

Don't know why since my dad and I watched every western on the air (except this one), but never saw this TV show until about 5 years ago....In the early episodes, sometimes "boulders" would ripple (painted canvas, I suspect), Robert Fuller was always a bit angry (I know that was his character at first), there was a little brother and an older man who was the ranch caretaker/cook, played by Hoagy Carmichael....Then, one year, the little brother and Hoagy got on the stage to take the kid to school "back east" and neither returned and no story line offered an explanation....
I watch it from time to time. (reruns, obviously) I always get a kick out of watching Mel Gibson's Maverick, because Fuller, along with some other Western stars, are shown throughout the movie.

Mean Purple

And, yes, Fuller's character comes off angry in some. Fuller seems to have portrayed the guy as a really serious in demeanor.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Zsa Zsa was a pretty funny woman.

After Johnny Carson's rather painful divorce, she was a guest on the Tonight Show. The conversation wandered in the direction of marriage breakups, and the fact that she had a number of them. She said to Johnny, "Oh, and I'm a great housekeeper!"

Eyebrows were raised. No one could imagine her wielding a Hoover. She continued, "Every time I get a divorce, I keep the house."

Poor Johnny! He just laughed so hard, genuinely. Everybody on the set was just gasping while she sat there with her cigarette in it's holder...

There's another infamous Zsa Zsa/Johnny story which Snopes claims is untrue. It is slightly risqué:

Zsa Zsa Gabor was a frequent visitor to Carson’s couch. As the tale has it, she once came on carrying a cat, which she held in her lap. She is said to have asked Carson, “Would you like to pet my [ muschi ]?” His fabled reply: “I’d love to, but you’ll have to move that damn cat.”

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
There's another infamous Zsa Zsa/Johnny story which Snopes claims is untrue. It is slightly risqué:

Zsa Zsa Gabor was a frequent visitor to Carson’s couch. As the tale has it, she once came on carrying a cat, which she held in her lap. She is said to have asked Carson, “Would you like to pet my [ muschi ]?” His fabled reply: “I’d love to, but you’ll have to move that damn cat.”