• The KillerFrogs

OT - College enrollment boom?

MAcFroggy

Finally paid of my student loans. Just in time for the debt to be erased. What a con job by Sanders.

I paid off my own student loans, but I would not be against some sort of program to help relieve student loan debt. Not sure exactly what it would be, but I do not think some sort of relief is totally ridiculous.

I think making student loans forgivable in bankruptcy is a potential solution, but obviously there are big issues with that solution. I think that might help decrease the overall costs of higher education, but it might also limit the people who would qualify for loans.

I think forgiving all student loans is a little crazy, but creating some sort of program where outstanding student loans can be forgiven after a certain amount of time could work (obviously this exists to an extent).

However, I do not think it is unreasonable for people to expect some relief when all sorts of companies from auto makers to banks received bailout during the recession. I clearly do not have a solution, but as somebody who paid off loans of my own I would not mind some other people getting help.

Pharm Frog

I paid off my own student loans, but I would not be against some sort of program to help relieve student loan debt. Not sure exactly what it would be, but I do not think some sort of relief is totally ridiculous.

I think making student loans forgivable in bankruptcy is a potential solution, but obviously there are big issues with that solution. I think that might help decrease the overall costs of higher education, but it might also limit the people who would qualify for loans.

I think forgiving all student loans is a little crazy, but creating some sort of program where outstanding student loans can be forgiven after a certain amount of time could work (obviously this exists to an extent).

However, I do not think it is unreasonable for people to expect some relief when all sorts of companies from auto makers to banks received bailout during the recession. I clearly do not have a solution, but as somebody who paid off loans of my own I would not mind some other people getting help.

And I think people should pay back their loans. You borrow money, you pay it back under the terms in which you borrowed it. (emphasis on the .) And...no...I do not think taxpayers should be bailing out automakers or banks or anything else.

YA

This happened to me as a freshman in 2004 in Moncrief. 3 people to a room, meant 6 19 year old dudes sharing a suite 1 holer bathroom...was un-ideal. luckily one of my roomates was local and got sick of it and ended up just moving back in with his parents, so we had an extra bunk bed for visitors.
Try walking down the hall to go the restroom or take a shower--then you would have appreciated the bathroom for just 6 people you had

MAcFroggy

And I think people should pay back their loans. You borrow money, you pay it back under the terms in which you borrowed it. (emphasis on the .) And...no...I do not think taxpayers should be bailing out automakers or banks or anything else.

That’s fair. We can have differing opinions on the matter. The government legally allows people to get out from under almost any type of loan (home loans, business loans, car loans, and pretty much every other type) thru bankruptcy. I just think people that have taken on student loans should have some way to get our from under them in a similar way. If congress is not willing to figure out a way to allow them to be cleared during bankruptcy then I have no issue with people voting to get them discharged in any other way (like Bernie’s carte blache method). People have to vote in their best interests and I am okay with that despite me having to pay mine off on my own.

SuperBarrFrog

That’s fair. We can have differing opinions on the matter. The government legally allows people to get out from under almost any type of loan (home loans, business loans, car loans, and pretty much every other type) thru bankruptcy. I just think people that have taken on student loans should have some way to get our from under them in a similar way. If congress is not willing to figure out a way to allow them to be cleared during bankruptcy then I have no issue with people voting to get them discharged in any other way (like Bernie’s carte blache method). People have to vote in their best interests and I am okay with that despite me having to pay mine off on my own.

I have no loans either but tend to agree with you. Something needs to put college tuition in check. Tcu was considered a value school when I started 20 years ago. Now no normal family could afford tuition without loans. It’s crazy.

Deep Purple

Define “discount” in TCU terms.

Free pass to Edens Greens?
Eden's Greens has been gone for over a decade.

TCU recently announced an increase in target undergrad enrollment (from 8k to 9.5??)
Depends on how you define "recent." TCU's undergrad enrollment reached 9,500 about 3 years ago -- almost time enough for an entire class cohort to enroll and graduate.

For the price you pay at TCU, the housing issue is embarrassing and I think leadership has taken steps to address it.
Nothing embarassing about it. It's a byproduct of TCU being swamped by 18,000-20,000 applications per year for the last 8-9 years in a row. We're a hot commodity.

Having said that, many private U's experience similar problems. At summer conferences, I've stayed in dorms at private schools like Dartmouth and Kenyon. The dorms weren't half as nice as TCU's -- in fact, some were downright crappy -- but they have waiting lists of students wanting to live there.

Believe the ratio was even higher than that when I started in 1999. Everyone used to say 65/35 but that might’ve been an exaggeration.
It was. The current 60:40 ratio of females to males is the highest gender disparity in TCU history.

Frog-in-law1995

I have no loans either but tend to agree with you. Something needs to put college tuition in check. Tcu was considered a value school when I started 20 years ago. Now no normal family could afford tuition without loans. It’s crazy.

Excusing existing student loans won’t put college tuition in check. If anything, it would encourage additional borrowing, which correlates to tuition increases.

ticketfrog123

Eden's Greens has been gone for over a decade.

Depends on how you define "recent." TCU's undergrad enrollment reached 9,500 about 3 years ago -- almost time enough for an entire class cohort to enroll and graduate.

Nothing embarassing about it. It's a byproduct of TCU being swamped by 18,000-20,000 applications per year for the last 8-9 years in a row. We're a hot commodity.

Having said that, many private U's experience similar problems. At summer conferences, I've stayed in dorms at private schools like Dartmouth and Kenyon. The dorms weren't half as nice as TCU's -- in fact, some were downright crappy -- but they have waiting lists of students wanting to live there.

It was. The current 60:40 ratio of females to males is the highest gender disparity in TCU history.

Appreciate the insight. I misspoke on the enrollment — is TCU targeting 12k undergrad given all the new housing that has gone up? I thought it was a 2k bump from current levels

HFrog1999

So you’re okay with paying off everyone else’s loans in addition to your own?

Because that’s what they’re talking about. Making taxpayers who either didn’t take out loans, paid them back or even didn’t go to college at all, pay for those who took out loans and haven’t paid them back.

MAcFroggy

So you’re okay with paying off everyone else’s loans in addition to your own?

Because that’s what they’re talking about. Making taxpayers who either didn’t take out loans, paid them back or even didn’t go to college at all, pay for those who took out loans and haven’t paid them back.

Yeah, I would be okay with helping other people get out from under their student loans. I do not know if I would do it the way Bernie is talking about, but I do think we could do something. We have bailed out banks, auto makers, and we are currently bailing out farmers due to trumps trade war with China, so I do not see why it we could not bail out people with student loans. If nothing else I would not be against making them dischargeable in bankruptcy or set interest for federal student loans to 0%. I do not really see why the federal government should be trying to make so much money from student loans.

People are able to get out from every single financial mistake from credit cards to auto loans, yet we do not allow people to get out from student loans. So if people want to vote to get out from under their loans, I am okay with that.

netty2424

Yah I don’t really follow this if I’m honest. What’s the point of selling debt to someone only for it to knowingly be eliminated later on? You agree to take on the debt, you should pay it off.

I think the focus should be more on the universities and how much they’re charging to attend them, the amount of student debt should be some how more closely aligned with the degree, which in a lot of cases are docs, lawyers, etc. but aren’t all 4 year degrees at TCU the same, be it nursing or business or RTVF, etc? And there should be a cap of student debt that one can take on which would also be in conjunction with the degree.

HFrog1999

Yeah, I would be okay with helping other people get out from under their student loans. I do not know if I would do it the way Bernie is talking about, but I do think we could do something. We have bailed out banks, auto makers, and we are currently bailing out farmers due to trumps trade war with China, so I do not see why it we could not bail out people with student loans. If nothing else I would not be against making them dischargeable in bankruptcy or set interest for federal student loans to 0%. I do not really see why the federal government should be trying to make so much money from student loans.

People are able to get out from every single financial mistake from credit cards to auto loans, yet we do not allow people to get out from student loans. So if people want to vote to get out from under their loans, I am okay with that.

When someone discharges debt through bankruptcy, the lender incurs the loss and passes on the expense to borrowers who pay higher interest rates. So, the cost of bankruptcies is already baked into the interest rates borrowers choose to pay.

Interest rates on student loans are artificially low because they are guaranteed with taxpayer money. That’s why they can’t discharge it through bankruptcy. That’s also why tuition is ridiculously high.

I think it’s very unfair to take tax dollars from a hardworking, responsible person who may not of even gone to college to pay off someone else’s college loan.

MAcFroggy

When someone discharges debt through bankruptcy, the lender incurs the loss and passes on the expense to borrowers who pay higher interest rates. So, the cost of bankruptcies is already baked into the interest rates borrowers choose to pay.

Interest rates on student loans are artificially low because they are guaranteed with taxpayer money. That’s why they can’t discharge it through bankruptcy. That’s also why tuition is ridiculously high.

I think it’s very unfair to take tax dollars from a hardworking, responsible person who may not of even gone to college to pay off someone else’s college loan.

I think it is very unfair to take tax dollars from a hardworking, responsible person who did not over-leverage themselves to bail out banks, auto companies, and farmers and then not bail out individuals with student loans.

We obviously have differing opinions on the matter, and that is okay.

HFrog1999

I think it is very unfair to take tax dollars from a hardworking, responsible person who did not over-leverage themselves to bail out banks, auto companies, and farmers and then not bail out individuals with student loans.

I don’t think the government should bailout anyone for their bad decisions with our tax dollars.

I’m not trying to change your opinion, I’m just expressing mine.

I’ve regretted my choice of school and major for 20 years. Thankfully you and other taxpayers didn’t have to pay for my mistake. I was the first person in my family to graduate from college and I made the mistake of believing what I was told regarding career and salary prospects.

I think colleges are ripping students and taxpayers off with their exorbitant tuition rates.

Big Frog II

I would think most of these college loans that are not being paid back are from "for profit" schools that their graduates cannot get jobs that pay well enough to pay back their student loans.

netty2424

Bailouts are touchy, no doubt. But bail outs aren’t bailing out the executives who are paid ridiculous salaries that are set for life, on the backs of check to check guys. They’re bailing out the check to check guys who show up to work 50-60 hours a week who don’t have the money to retire to, or even keep up with monthly bills in some cases when a few checks are missed.

Latest posts