• The KillerFrogs

OT: A Plea for Help from My Fellow Attorneys and Others

Showtime Joe 2.0

This is a pretty good resource below for openings in education around the state. When you go to the site, find Career Center at the very top. You can customize your search. Most districts start looking for 2024-25 around March although with the number of openings that may be moving to earlier. With the explosion of charter schools in Tarrant County, I expect there to be many openings. Of course, if you could get certified, that would increase your opportunities. If you are hoping for middle school or high school, it helps to be able to do multiple subjects or have additional interests like coaching or after school activities, especially if they have a connection to UIL competition. Good luck! We need great teachers.

Thank you so much for that splendid link and the excellent advice!

froginmn

Good luck to Showtime Joe. It seems that apart from the bikini image copyright issue, you have a lot of good leads from fellow frogs. I do hope in the new year you find new success and financial stability. I think most of us can relate to that concern.
With this crowd you could probably do a fundraiser with your phantom pic and set up Joe for life!

Hemingway

I am in dire financial straits and could really use some help in the form of additional income. Even though I have a BA and an MA from TCU, a Ph.D from University of North Texas, and a JD from Harvard Law School, I haven’t had a full time job in 18 years.

Instead, I’ve been trying to eke out a living as an adjunct history professor at various community colleges in DFW. We get paid very little as adjuncts and we don’t get paid at all during January, even though we start back teaching in the middle of that month. So, I won’t be getting my next paychecks until the end of February.

In the meantime, I am open to working for anyone who’s willing to hire me on a full time basis for the first half of January and then every Friday thereafter, since I teach on Mondays through Thursdays.

I am willing to do virtually any kind of work although I would like to put my Texas law license, which I’ve had since 2006, to work. I practiced law full time in Michigan from 1987 to 2005 and am highly skilled and experienced in legal research and writing, oral arguments, taking depositions, and trying cases.

Please send me a PM if you have any work for me to do in any field, legal or otherwise. I would greatly appreciate it since I’m on the verge of being evicted from the trailer park in Fort Worth where I live.

Thank you all very much.
I think you’ll have a hard time dipping your toes in the legal field on a sporadic time arrangement. That doesn’t fit in the firm budgeting model.

Certainly, with your training you’d be a great permanent employee. Otherwise , hang your own shingle and get after it. What do you have to lose? Everyone has their own practice to manage, even within a firm. Doesn’t matter if you’re in a firm or solo to most.

Showtime Joe 2.0

Wow, and I always assumed all Harvard law grads could pick any job they want. I guess that is just another urban myth.

I think you’ll have a hard time dipping your toes in the legal field on a sporadic time arrangement. That doesn’t fit in the firm budgeting model.

Certainly, with your training you’d be a great permanent employee. Otherwise , hang your own shingle and get after it. What do you have to lose? Everyone has their own practice to manage, even within a firm. Doesn’t matter if you’re in a firm or solo to most.
Yes, I understand fully where you're coming from since I've never even seen a part-time attorney's position advertised, much less applied for one. All my applications have been for full-time positions, and I've only landed a handful of interviews compared to the scores of jobs I've applied for over the years.

As far as hanging up my own shingle, I don't have the start-up capital to do that nor an advertising budget to compete in the plaintiff's personal injury field (otherwise known as ambulance chasing), which is what I mostly did when I was practicing law in Michigan.

But thank you so much for your advice!

The TCU Football Jerk

Hey Showtime, unless things have changed, you don’t necessarily have to enter into an alternative certification program to get certified.

With as many public school openings as there usually are, you have a good chance of getting the job outright on an emergency certification basis. You’ll still have to do some of the certification stuff but you’d be allowed to teach full time from the get go with the understanding that you would have your certification completed by a certain date.

At least that’s how it used to be but things could have changed for all I know.

Back when the price of oil exploded and all the little podunk towns in West Texas started exploding with population, they needed teachers badly. Place like Kermit and Mentone were buying up ramshackle houses and fixing them up. They'd offer teachers $120k plus a free place to live if you'd sign up for multiple years. I think that has died down somewhat though. Might be worth looking into if you're willing to relocate. There are oilfield workers that do that type of thing. Work like a dog for 5 years, don't spend any of you're money while you're there, then move to greener pastures with several hundred thousand dollars in savings after all is said and done.

Hemingway

Yes, I understand fully where you're coming from since I've never even seen a part-time attorney's position advertised, much less applied for one. All my applications have been for full-time positions, and I've only landed a handful of interviews compared to the scores of jobs I've applied for over the years.

As far as hanging up my own shingle, I don't have the start-up capital to do that nor an advertising budget to compete in the plaintiff's personal injury field (otherwise known as ambulance chasing), which is what I mostly did when I was practicing law in Michigan.

But thank you so much for your advice!
Calling it ambulance chasing is kind of insulting. You should go work for the state or municipality in a civil division then.

Best of luck.