• The KillerFrogs

OT: A Plea for Help from My Fellow Attorneys and Others

Showtime Joe 2.0

I am in dire financial straits and could really use some help in the form of additional income. Even though I have a BA and an MA from TCU, a Ph.D from University of North Texas, and a JD from Harvard Law School, I haven’t had a full time job in 18 years.

Instead, I’ve been trying to eke out a living as an adjunct history professor at various community colleges in DFW. We get paid very little as adjuncts and we don’t get paid at all during January, even though we start back teaching in the middle of that month. So, I won’t be getting my next paychecks until the end of February.

In the meantime, I am open to working for anyone who’s willing to hire me on a full time basis for the first half of January and then every Friday thereafter, since I teach on Mondays through Thursdays.

I am willing to do virtually any kind of work although I would like to put my Texas law license, which I’ve had since 2006, to work. I practiced law full time in Michigan from 1987 to 2005 and am highly skilled and experienced in legal research and writing, oral arguments, taking depositions, and trying cases.

Please send me a PM if you have any work for me to do in any field, legal or otherwise. I would greatly appreciate it since I’m on the verge of being evicted from the trailer park in Fort Worth where I live.

Thank you all very much.

Joe, election season is coming up. Have you thought about doing some consulting work with a campaign or even several campaigns?

Surely they could use someone with your credentials. You seem to have some strategic thinking abilities that a campaign could benefit from, and having a law degree from Harvard would open a few eyes.

FloridaFrog76129

I will provide a helpful part time suggestion, but the Harvard law + trailer park juxtaposition makes me wonder if this is an off-season bit.

Bucees will pay over $150k annualized to anybody that can (1) show up on time (2) with a smile and (3) display above average work ethic

It’s not sexy but most likely highest paying, most stable part time option to help in a pinch…

Showtime Joe 2.0

Joe, election season is coming up. Have you thought about doing some consulting work with a campaign or even several campaigns?

Surely they could use someone with your credentials. You seem to have some strategic thinking abilities that a campaign could benefit from, and having a law degree from Harvard would open a few eyes.
I’ve thought about that at times and I may look into it further upon your kind suggestion. It’s just that I love teaching and I’ve had fairly steady employment as an adjunct and would like to continue doing that while supplementing my meager adjunct pay in some fashion. Thanks for the suggestion!

An-Cap Frog

I will provide a helpful part time suggestion, but the Harvard law + trailer park juxtaposition makes me wonder if this is an off-season bit.

Bucees will pay over $150k annualized to anybody that can (1) show up on time (2) with a smile and (3) display above average work ethic

It’s not sexy but most likely highest paying, most stable part time option to help in a pinch…
My friend just got a dog and named him Bucee.

Showtime Joe 2.0

Thank you for that suggestion. I will definitely look into part-time work at Bucees. But my life is not an “off-season bit.” It is what it is. There are a number of people on this board who know me.

Dogfrog

Joe, given your circumstances, have you considered applying for substitute teaching at the various local school districts? Classes dont start til Jan 9? but it’s something. I think they pay $90 a day. You receive a request and you have the option to accept or not on a day to day basis. When subs become sought after they can work pretty regularly.

Frog-in-law1995

Joe, have you considered substitute teaching? My wife is a history teacher in the district where you live (though not the school right next to you…a tad further east). Her department coworkers are always excited about finding a sub with a history background. If you’re interested, I can find out more about the process and reach back out.

Frog-in-law1995

Joe, given your circumstances, have you considered applying for substitute teaching at the various local school districts? Classes dont start til Jan 9? but it’s something. I think they pay $90 a day. You receive a request and you have the option to accept or not on a day to day basis. When subs become sought after they can work pretty regularly.
Haha. Great minds.

Showtime Joe 2.0

Yes, I’ve looked into that before and I almost signed up last semester but I was told that I may not get a lot of assignments because I’d only be able to substitute on Fridays. But I’ll look into that again and thanks!

zfrawg

Yes, I’ve looked into that before and I almost signed up last semester but I was told that I may not get a lot of assignments because I’d only be able to substitute on Fridays. But I’ll look into that again and thanks!
Subs are in high demand all the time. Apply within a couple of districts. Most subs find a district or a few campuses they prefer. It's not easy but usually eye-opening... kids can be jerks, especially to subs. Good luck!

y2kFrog

As a teacher, I can tell you Friday’s are the most in demand days. There are always open positions every Friday due to athletic events and other extracurricular activities.

Showtime Joe 2.0

Joe, have you considered substitute teaching? My wife is a history teacher in the district where you live (though not the school right next to you…a tad further east). Her department coworkers are always excited about finding a sub with a history background. If you’re interested, I can find out more about the process and reach back out.
Yes, please do and thank you very much!

Showtime Joe 2.0

What area of law did you practice? (I mean what specialty if you have one). I am looking for help policing my trademarks/copyrights all over the internet.
I’m afraid that was never one of my specialties but thank
What area of law did you practice? (I mean what specialty if you have one). I am looking for help policing my trademarks/copyrights all over the internet.
I’m sorry but that was never one of my specialties. But thank you very much!