• The KillerFrogs

OT: A Plea for Help from My Fellow Attorneys and Others

westoverhillbilly

Have you tried finding doc review gigs?
Yes, Showtime, a lawyer friend of mine is on disability after removal of a brain tumor and has done some of this work on huge lawsuits where he sits with several other attorneys reading thru endless boxes coming off of a truck that contain files and they look for relevant material to the huge litigation cases. As he has said, the pay is pretty lousy, but it keeps him busy and he doesn't lose his disability. I can reach out to him if you're interested?

Chongo94

I will provide a helpful part time suggestion, but the Harvard law + trailer park juxtaposition makes me wonder if this is an off-season bit.

Bucees will pay over $150k annualized to anybody that can (1) show up on time (2) with a smile and (3) display above average work ethic

It’s not sexy but most likely highest paying, most stable part time option to help in a pinch…
$150k for part time work?? No way. What position would they even attempt to offer such a thing in?

If this is true I cannot understand why they don’t have a mass of people banging down their doors.

Showtime Joe 2.0

Yes, Showtime, a lawyer friend of mine is on disability after removal of a brain tumor and has done some of this work on huge lawsuits where he sits with several other attorneys reading thru endless boxes coming off of a truck that contain files and they look for relevant material to the huge litigation cases. As he has said, the pay is pretty lousy, but it keeps him busy and he doesn't lose his disability. I can reach out to him if you're interested?
Yes, please do so and thank you!

Paint It Purple

Joe, have you considered substitute teaching? My wife is a history teacher in the district where you live (though not the school right next to you…a tad further east). Her department coworkers are always excited about finding a sub with a history background. If you’re interested, I can find out more about the process and reach back out.
Yes, let's send this person into our public school system.

Endless Purple

Hey. Just wanted to wish you luck.

Your story sounds similar to mine. One school where I did most of my adjunct teaching shut down the other month, and I have been looking as well. Really been weighing in on whether to get more teaching or go back to design or photography. Unfortunately those industries really help if you have the contacts and and current portfolios.

Did you get your state teaching certificate for K-12 when you got your PhD?

I also tried dumbing down my resume for some retail work, but I have no retail experience, so no bites. I did have a friend who did the uber for a while to fill in some work gaps. I believe the work does require a vehicle with a backseat and 4 doors (ruled me out). He actually enjoyed it for a period.

Don't know if you have looked into it (and probably not much during holidays) but I see a lot of people doing tutoring of high school and middle school kids. Maybe some opportunities there for those that need to catch up or get ahead before the next semester. Especially around some of the wealthier private schools.

At least you have 4 days of teaching in mid-January to look forward to.

Add: Also consider looking in other places if possible. Maybe a full time spot to replace the few adjunct classes opens up. I know I am now going to expand my search nationally and maybe beyond that.

FrogPreacher

Good luck to you. Prayers on your journey. Over the years I have done a variety of jobs, including substitute teaching and working as a chauffeur. I did restaurant work for a number of years. Waiting tables can be good, quick immediate cash and depending on the restaurant, you can make some good money. Just be prepared to swallow your pride a bit from time to time because people will make an assumption that waiting tables is all that you are capable of.

FloridaFrog76129

$150k for part time work?? No way. What position would they even attempt to offer such a thing in?

If this is true I cannot understand why they don’t have a mass of people banging down their doors.
People have too much pride…I said part-time annualized - so he could have that $150k annual salary but only fit maybe 50% into his schedule…excludes OT and 401k match

Aldi has a college grad program that pays $100k starting (base + bonus) and you get a free Audi A3 or Q3 lease every X years….still not sexy enough for Gen Z to roll up their sleeves..

1703825461634.jpeg

Last edited:

Chongo94

People have too much pride…I said part-time annualized - so he could have that $150k annual salary but only fit maybe 50% into his schedule…excludes OT and 401k match

Aldi has a college grad program that pays $100k starting (base + bonus) and you get a free Audi A3 or Q3 lease every X years….still not sexy enough for Gen Z to roll up their sleeves..

View attachment 15466
Holy hell, I’m switching careers!