• The KillerFrogs

Ohio St game thoughts on rewatch

BAM Frog

Have to admit I’m a little confused on why SRobinson is such a better deep ball passer at this point than KHill.

I think we all know he has potential, but not sure results have been there
I’ve noticed that as well. I think one big difference between KH and SR on the deep ball is Shawn has good misses. Meaning, he tends to overthrow the WR or put it too far to the sideline. They are “good misses” because either his WR will catch it or no one will.

jake102

In college I think there’s a much higher chance of good things happening on a deep ball in one on one coverage than bad things. CBs generally suck and will almost always commit PI on an underthrown ball.

XIIFrog

Shawn Robinson is a better deep ball passer because he has much better strength, and because he puts the ball to a place to where only his receiver has a chance to catch it Granted, we see a lot of overthrows. But I'll take those knowing that we're taking a shot at a huge gain, and that there's no chance for the DB's to INT it if it's a little off target.

Re-watching the game, I still have that nervous knot in my stomach for some reason. I still think somehow the frogs time travel and come away with a win. But here are a few biggies that have stood out:
  • That 4 minute meltdown in the 3rd was brutal. You can't fault the defense for a breakdown to start it out when it's ~8mins left in the 3rd and they had still not allowed an offensive touchdown
  • That shovel pass INT... C'MON MAN! Defense was showing clear pressure from the left side, the offense looks to the sideline, and Cumbie calls an option shovel straight into that pressure?! With as talented a D-front as OSU, we were handing that to them on a silver platter. Could've been avoided, knowing what the defense was showing pre-snap, and with 3rd and long, we should've run something else. Clearly.
  • The bad longsnap/punt sucked, and it seemed like it could've been avoided, as there was a blatant facemask on 2nd down that would've given us a first there and possibly changed the scenario. Still, I thought the refs did a great job this game, just allowing the players to play. I saw several holds and some PI's that couldv'e been called but weren't.
I have to say, I hate how Herbie interpreted the long TD throw to Heights - he put it as though Heights was lucky that the safety "lost" the ball and that Heights adjusted. That's not the case. If you pause the game right before Shawn released the ball, you will see that both SR and the safety saw Heights had the corner beat. The safety then switched to playing the man since he was the last line of defense, and SR put the ball in a place where he knew Heights would beat the safety for a catch. Brilliant play by QB and WR.

FrogLifeYo

I have to say, I hate how Herbie interpreted the long TD throw to Heights - he put it as though Heights was lucky that the safety "lost" the ball and that Heights adjusted. That's not the case. If you pause the game right before Shawn released the ball, you will see that both SR and the safety saw Heights had the corner beat. The safety then switched to playing the man since he was the last line of defense, and SR put the ball in a place where he knew Heights would beat the safety for a catch. Brilliant play by QB and WR.

Herbie was trying really hard to hide his bias but as the night went on he was clearly frustrated with his beloved Buckeyes..You rarely heard how well we were playing but there were plenty of remarks about badly the Buckeyes were playing. Coincidentally as the game turned in their favor there was a sense of relief in his voice

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Herbie was trying really hard to hide his bias but as the night went on he was clearly frustrated with his beloved Buckeyes..You rarely heard how well we were playing but there were plenty of remarks about badly the Buckeyes were playing. Coincidentally as the game turned in their favor there was a sense of relief in his voice
He shouldn’t be allowed to call aOSU games for that reason. But he is, because part of ESPN’s MO is fellating aOSU.

4th. down

I can't believe what we didn't go back to in the second half... We did so good in the first half, then we just played not to lose and darned ourselves...

Cumbie got conservative and left the warp tempo. Maybe GP told him too so that his defense could get some rest. We will never know what the thinking was. Cumbie is still learning as evidenced by several different game situations but calling that shovel pass again was depressing.

Eight

Cumbie got conservative and left the warp tempo. Maybe GP told him too so that his defense could get some rest. We will never know what the thinking was. Cumbie is still learning as evidenced by several different game situations but calling that shovel pass again was depressing.

actually gary discussed this during the press conference.

one big issue in regards to running tempo in the second half was the frogs were having trouble creating positive plays. no positive plays means no tempo.

when meachum was calling plays there was nothing more frustrating than tcu running a play, not work, and then forcing the tempo and rushing the series.

tcu only had positive first down plays on two series, those two series resulted in touchdowns. the other series tcu was looking at 2nd and long and as gary mentioned in his press conference those situations make running tempo difficult.

FrogLifeYo

I thought Cumbie called a good game but got impatient as the game went on. He stopped using one play to set up another. I still say he’s twice the caller Meach was and will continue to get better. He called a really good first half. As others have said the next step of growth for him is how he calls plays late in games when teams have adjusted to his script.

netty2424

It turned out to be a bad call as evident of the pick 6, but we've had some success with that play in the past with Sewo. He busted one open in the Alamo bowl and several times before that.

But to your point, it didn't work the first time, there was no reason to think it would work a second time either. It's a chaotic play to begin with, tight throw in traffic. Just wished SR would've pulled back on this one too. I know he wants it back.

Ron Swanson

It turned out to be a bad call as evident of the pick 6, but we've had some success with that play in the past with Sewo. He busted one open in the Alamo bowl and several times before that.

But to your point, it didn't work the first time, there was no reason to think it would work a second time either. It's a chaotic play to begin with, tight throw in traffic. Just wished SR would've pulled back on this one too. I know he wants it back.
I believe that was the third time we ran it.

BleedNPurple

I’m sure our coaches and players are reading all of this! All I can say after rewatching this is we need to set our sites on winning the B12. We learned a hell of a lot - we have a good team. OSU is still tired and black and blue this week after that game.

Time to take it out on UT and destroy them. Bring that speed on all of those 4 starsies and make their heads swim!

CountryFrog

I don't understand the idea that there was a huge drop off in the offensive approach in second half vs first half. We scored 14 points in both halves. Just imagine how different we MIGHT have felt about the play calling if Turpin catches that pass over the middle. Who knows what that might've changed, but we then could've gotten tempo going again and the pick 6 shovel pass probably never happens.

Wexahu

My least favorite plays are the WR screens that are thrown backwards, especially when they are thrown to a guy running with his back to the QB. That’s just asking for a dropped pass/fumble. At least the flip pass to Sewo is an incompletion if he doesn’t handle it, that’s if it isn’t thrown right to a D-lineman.

4th. down

It just kills me we lost that game the way we did after banging head to head with probably a play off team and maybe the number 2 seed. With 4 defensive linemen possibly going in the first 2 rounds of the draft and here we were without Ross, our potential going forward is stunning. I would have never, ever, thought OSU would be without an offensive touchdown midway in the 3rd. quarter. If we cut these mistakes back, we are going to make a run and let it begin in Austin.

FBallFan123

actually gary discussed this during the press conference.

one big issue in regards to running tempo in the second half was the frogs were having trouble creating positive plays. no positive plays means no tempo.

when meachum was calling plays there was nothing more frustrating than tcu running a play, not work, and then forcing the tempo and rushing the series.

tcu only had positive first down plays on two series, those two series resulted in touchdowns. the other series tcu was looking at 2nd and long and as gary mentioned in his press conference those situations make running tempo difficult.

Yeah, you need a first down or two to get those up-temp offenses going and TCU wasn't able to really get it going much in the 2nd half.

From what I can remember - with a little help from the play-by-play on ESPN - there were two WR drops by TCU recievers that kept them from building the type of rhythm they had in the first half.

One was by Turpin on a 2nd down and 10 at their own 19 on their 3rd possession of the 2nd half, when the game was 21-13 TCU.

TCU had just scored a TD and forced an OSU punt.

A completion there, which I believe might have given TCU a first down, would have given them a chance to continue to build momentum and pick up the tempo and start to really lean on a clearly tiring OSU defense.

Instead, he dropped it, they went kinda conservative with a Sewo run (for 2 yards) on 3rd down and then punted.

Then came the TCU implosion with an OSU TD, and the pick-6...and suddenly the game goes from 21-13 TCU to 26-21 OSU.

The other drop was by Barber,on the next possession.

It was 3rd and 7, at TCU's 23.

From what I can remember, the ball may have been a little low, but catcahble.

He dropped it and TCU punts the next play...it's blocked and OSU scores another TD to make it 33-21.

Last edited: