• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

An-Cap Frog

ESPN/Adam Rittenberg

2021 coach: Gary Patterson (out after 3-5 start)

Replacement: Sonny Dykes, previously SMU head coach

Grade: A-

Analysis: The move makes sense on a number of levels. Athletic director Jeremiah Donati practically described Dykes in explaining what TCU wanted for Patterson's successor. Dykes is already in the market, boasts Power 5 and Group of 5 head-coaching experience, and runs a dynamic offense that should attract players to TCU. He also has made SMU a transfer destination and can brand TCU the same way. Dykes likely will bring assistant Ra'Shaad Samples and other talented recruiters with him from Dallas to Fort Worth. He spent the 2017 season as an offensive analyst at TCU under Patterson, recharging after a bad experience at the end with Cal. Dykes then landed the SMU job and went 10-3 in his second season.

The 52-year-old Dykes knows the Big 12 from his time as a Texas Tech assistant, and as the son of former Texas Tech coach Spike Dykes. The only real concern with him is whether he can put together complete seasons at TCU. Dykes started 8-0 in 2019 before dropping three of the final five games. SMU started 7-1 last year before dropping its last two games, and began this fall 7-0 before dropping three of the past four. His November record will need to improve for TCU to start competing for Big 12 championships again.
I hope Dykes understands that the expectation is 10-win seasons and not limping into a bowl game...

Paint It Purple

TCU to officially announce HCSD on Tuesday....is this delay designed to maximize exposure without other competing news? It's kinda no longer a mystery is it not?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Fair questions with Kaz. Concerns were brought to him and he apparently did not act on them or take them seriously, recommend follow-up. I would like to know if a TCU female athlete or coed came to him with similar complaints about a TCU athlete, or any student, how he would handle that. That is not to say every complaint/concern/report is true, but how do you respond? His at Baylor was not appropriate IMO.

Lost four out of his last five, 1-3 now overall against Tulsa, and another November collapse. I understand the distraction angle of the hire for his players, but it fits right into his reoccurring narrative and overall trends. It was stupid for him to coach that game today.

I hope this works out for TCU, JD, and the committee that signed off on this, we will know in a couple years I suppose.

That DC hire will be massive, and could define if his time here is a success. Needs to hit a home run.

Look forward to getting a summary of all the craziness that happened behind the scenes from you. I suspect this has been teed up for quite sometime (months)

There is a guy on the other board who has a high up source that told him Napier really wanted the job, and we backed away from him, not the other way around.

No idea if true or not, but he was adamant that Napier never told us “no”, and wanted it and was ready to go.

I have my doubts, especially if Napier ends up at Florida, but that would be disappointing to say the least if true.
It’s 100% not true that we stiff armed Napier for Dykes even though Napier actively wanted the job. It was an issue with timing and Napier not committing. You can’t rush waiting for Napier, end up in second place, and then turn around to see Dykes gone or in a new deal (which was a real threat… to what degree is unknown).

I’m pretty sure he’s just referring to the fact that literally everybody involved knew he was leaving and it probably would have been best if he hadn’t coached that game today.
Avoid a terrible and wasted week, and get a head start on all things TCU, hiring, recruiting, etc… literally every day matters right now when fighting for talent, players and coaches.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

Fair questions with Kaz. Concerns were brought to him and he apparently did not act on them or take them seriously, recommend follow-up. I would like to know if a TCU female athlete or coed came to him with similar complaints about a TCU athlete, or any student, how he would handle that. That is not to say every complaint/concern/report is true, but how do you respond? His at Baylor was not appropriate IMO.
Totally my opinion but I’d be surprised if Kaz would tell you today that he handled that properly. I’m guessing the places he’s worked since then are all very comfortable that he’d do things differently moving forward.

MTfrog5

Totally my opinion but I’d be surprised if Kaz would tell you today that he handled that properly. I’m guessing the places he’s worked since then are all very comfortable that he’d do things differently moving forward.
I think it was good for him to get out of under Briles and see how other programs are structured. Remember how Briles structured the program is the biggest problem. The strength coach shouldn’t be put in position to know something of that nature before the head coach.

Moose Stuff

I think it was good for him to get out of under Briles and see how other programs are structured. Remember how Briles structured the program is the biggest problem. The strength coach shouldn’t be put in position to know something of that nature before the head coach.
Yeah, ultimately everything that happened there happened because of a terrible culture. Everyone involved shares some blame but the overwhelming majority of it falls on the Admin/AD/Briles.

Latest posts