• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

I suspect many are still assuming it is Dykes job. A quiet search is good—today Dennis Dodds doesn't mention TCU as a destination for Napier:

“Billy Napier, Louisiana coach: This has to be the year Napier bounces. There are too many good jobs out there and too many good jobs that can still open. Napier, 42, is simply too good of a coach with a 37-12 record at Louisiana, 19-2 since the start of the 2020 season. If not Virginia Tech, then Arizona State. If not Arizona State, then Washington. If not Washington, then Washington State. Who knows? Maybe LSU (looking for a big name) and Florida (not open yet) are options, too.”

Last edited:

Big Frog II

I suspect many are still assuming it is Dykes job. A quiet search is good—today Dennis Dodds doesn't mention TCU as a destination for Napier:

“Billy Napier, Louisiana coach: This has to be the year Napier bounces. There are too many good jobs out there and too many good jobs that can still open. Napier, 42, is simply too good of a coach with a 37-12 record at Louisiana, 19-2 since the start of the 2020 season. If not Virginia Tech, then Arizona State. If not Arizona State, then Washington. If not Washington, then Washington State. Who knows? Maybe LSU (looking for a big name) and Florida (not open yet) are options, too.”
I suspect that he has been a top candidate, but with other higher profile openings I think he has been holding us off. Just a wild guess.

Palliative Care

This year seems to be a huge game of musical chairs. Maybe it is delayed firings from last year as we all just tried to get through those days. It is weird seeing Gary’s name as a possible candidate.

Realtorfrog

I can tell you right now with 100% certainty that Don Sommer turned down multiple job offers from a lot of bigger programs...Missouri, his alma mater, he turned down like 2 or 3 times. I was talking about Don Sommer, don't know why you brought everyone else into the conversation. That being said, I can almost guarantee you those coaches that have been with GP for a long time got offers to go to other schools (I wish some of them would have taken them) but stayed at TCU.
If true the other schools should be celebrating. Too much focus on strength and not conditioning!!

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Concur
Problem with Herman isn’t that he’s a bad coach, it’s that he’s a raging [ Arschloch] according to everything I’ve read. That’s why he was fired after a mediocre season or two - being an [ Arschloch] is fine when you’re winning, but no one is going to go to bat for you when you start losing. Same thing is happening to Mullen at Florida right now.

Personally I’m not interested in Herman because he seems like a bad cultural fit and he had major locker room issues at Texas. I’m sure he’ll get another chance down the road and do well, but I hope it’s not here.

Moose Stuff

LMAO at Washington St. I just assume Dennis is a complete moron.

netty2424

Not surprised that you wouldn't understand the difference between approaching a random stranger to inaccuracy call him a clown when his statement is factual correct, and then that person's response to put the offender in their place.
There is no difference, but all good man. Enjoy your evening.

vicarfrog

I've always considered him holding up his Mensa membership publicly as the dorkiest of the dorky things he's done. (change my mind)

It seems as smart as he thinks he is, attention to detail, like remembering to pay dues, has and always will be beyond him.

Hey, if I was smart enough to be in Mensa, I would too! All I have is a cereal decoder ring.

Eight

Are you aware that Sonny Dykes was fired by Cal and that’s how he ended up at TCU as an analyst? He had a losing record 3 out of 4 seasons there. He was 19-30 in 4 years at Cal.

Coaches get fired. That’s life as a coach at any level. Show me a staff that doesn’t have coaches who’ve been fired sometime in the past.

4/5ths of the of the tcu defensive staff

sharp, fitch, modkins, and gonzales haven't ever been fired that i can recall

3/5ths of the frogs offensive staff hill, kelly, and anderson haven't even been fired as a coach

since most of us here have no clue what we are talking about is 7 out of 10 assistants not having been fired the norm?

GenXFrog

Hey, if I was smart enough to be in Mensa, I would too! All I have is a cereal decoder ring.

If you are pre-woke world. Generation X and earlier. The PSAT and SAT tests both correlated to IQ, and a modestly high score were all that were needed to join. From 1993/4 on, well, the test no longer directly measures intelligence, and you now need to take a special psychotological test. Or go with the special secret Tom Herman pass - 'I'm smart, my momma told me so.'

Tre J

I suspect that he has been a top candidate, but with other higher profile openings I think he has been holding us off. Just a wild guess.
Possibly, but if you read that article about him from before the season that somebody posted from ESPN, I think for him you had to know it wouldn’t be until the season was over. His goal this season was to have an outright Sunbelt title (last year was Co), and with the character he seems to have, I don’t think he’s letting anyone announce he is next coach until the season is over. He may want to be here, but if he does, I don’t see it being announced for a couple of weeks. It’s been amazing how little info has been leaked, so I’m hoping this is the reason.

NewFrogFan

I agree with you wholeheartedly! People are trashing GP and his coaches and not too long ago were cheering Gary, Gary after every big win. I hope he goes somewhere else in whatever coaching capacity and shows that he is still a great coach.
I think that might happen in a “land” not too far away or Florida.:cool:

Latest posts