• The KillerFrogs

Official “Flying T” is back thread

ShreveFrog

Myeah, not a great era in TCU athletics but I'll prolly buy something with it. I was a kid in the '70s rootin' on Renfro and Stamp and the Froggies. What I really like is my retro cream baseball cap with the TC logo and purple bill and piping.

Myeah, not a great era in TCU athletics but I'll prolly buy something with it. I was a kid in the '70s rootin' on Renfro and Stamp and the Froggies. What I really like is my retro cream baseball cap with the TC logo and purple bill and piping.
It wasn't a great era because we had an administration that didn't care enough to properly invest in athletics, an incompetent athletic director, and bad coaches. It's not like the logo was responsible for that.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
This logo was my childhood. Good or bad on the field, it represented the passion for something and someplace that wasn't common, wasn't the bandwagon school, wasn't this media darling it is now. You had to love being a Frog fan to be one.

I invite anyone disappointed with this to sod off. These throwbacks will look super cool with the badasses we have playing on various fields right now.

East Coast

Tier 1
It wasn't a great era because we had an administration that didn't care enough to properly invest in athletics, an incompetent athletic director, and bad coaches. It's not like the logo was responsible for that.
I agree with your first point. I don't think Windegger was incompetent, but he seemed to become complacent just rolling along under the restrictions imposed. And yeah, Iot of the coaches were bad, but Wacker, Killingsworth, and Bartzen weren't (to name a few)

East Coast

Tier 1
when i went to my first TCU/CYF day, this was the logo. When I went to the first game when my sister was in the band, this was the logo. When i went to a game at Baylor and TCU was in town, the Flying T was it. It's about friggin time. I was done buying this kind of stuff, but Christmas will be good this year.
Yeah, I'm overdue to pick up some new TCU duds. Will probably get one of these...

Virginia Frog

Yes, let's commemorate and honor the absolute worst era of TCU football. I will not wear the Flying T until hell freezes over -- and then I will not wear it on the ice.
The "Flying T" came AFTER "the absolute worst era of TCU football." That was the mid-70s including the Shoffner years of 74-75-76 (2-31). At the time the TCU football helmet featured the "monogram" TCU.

Marshall Harris played under Shoffner and I believe one or 2 years under FA Dry. (Class of '78 or '79).

The "Flying T" came in Fall '78 or '79 and was regarded, I believe - I was gone then -, as a more exciting TCU typeface (and at the beginning of the Tucker Administration.)

There WAS an uptick in TCU football in '77 with Dry...yes, we won at Rice and had a W in ACS vs. U Miami of Florida (and we HAD the Oregon Ducks on the ropes too.)

I am glad to see it back.

Last edited:

Eight

so harris designs the logo, tcu uses it for some sports and merchandise, tcu goes away from it, and then it is back, but maybe for a limited time like the mcrib..

did harris get compensated for the usage after he left school?

why did tcu opt to go away from it?

was the extended absence a byproduct of tcu not wanting to pay for the logo or harris asking too much compared to similar work in the marketplace?

Last edited:
I agree with your first point. I don't think Windegger was incompetent, but he seemed to become complacent just rolling along under the restrictions imposed. And yeah, Iot of the coaches were bad, but Wacker, Killingsworth, and Bartzen weren't (to name a few)
I appreciate your sentiment and would agree on Killingsworth. I'll take your word for it on tennis. I fully confess that I viewed TCU athletics primarily through football back then before I was a student. I did attend a lot of TCU games during the Wacker era with my parents. He might not have been as bad as some others but was by no means an upper end coach outside of being able to talk. He lost to North Texas and suffered some of the worst losses in TCU history after he went on a self-righteous crusade to promote himself at the expense of our program when he made a big issue of what everyone in the SWC was doing and sold us out to the NCAA resulting in the living death penalty. Windegger once hired a coach based on a speech he made at a coach's convention and was asleep at the wheel when the SWC was collapsing around him. I hope we never see the likes of either of them again.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
A little trivia concerning the Flying T, when I was producing the documentary for the 100 year history of the TCU band the marketing department gave me one of their last press-ready photo samples of the Flying T that I scanned for the DVD. I still have it in my library. If any of you remember the revolving GIF avatar I used on the old forum (the new one doesn't support GIFs) that is what I used.

Eight

I appreciate your sentiment and would agree on Killingsworth. I'll take your word for it on tennis. I fully confess that I viewed TCU athletics primarily through football back then before I was a student. I did attend a lot of TCU games during the Wacker era with my parents. He might not have been as bad as some others but was by no means an upper end coach outside of being able to talk. He lost to North Texas and suffered some of the worst losses in TCU history after he went on a self-righteous crusade to promote himself at the expense of our program when he made a big issue of what everyone in the SWC was doing and sold us out to the NCAA resulting in the living death penalty. Windegger once hired a coach based on a speech he made at a coach's convention and was asleep at the wheel when the SWC was collapsing around him. I hope we never see the likes of either of them again.

might regret asking this, but exactly how did wacker "promote himself at the expense of the program" for co-operating with the ncaa and suspending players when that investigation was going to happen either which way

might regret asking this, but exactly how did wacker "promote himself at the expense of the program" for co-operating with the ncaa and suspending players when that investigation was going to happen either which way
When he took over the program, rather than just concentrate on coaching TCU, he made a deal of sending a letter to all the other SWC schools complaining about cheating in the conference. The NCAA is a feckless organization. You let them investigate and do whatever but kicking players off your team prior to that investigation, voluntarily giving them evidence, and going on Good Morning America the next day to tell everyone how above this cheating you are is promoting yourself at the expense of the program in my book. I hope you don't regret asking.