• The KillerFrogs

No surprise, but Cowherd is an [Craig James] Clown

Billy Clyde

To try and save this thread, what sports talking heads do you all consider to be good?

Steel really likes Norm Hitzges, great interviews; and Stephen A. is very entertaining to listen to. Bill Simmons has a good podcast.

Simmons is greatness, haven't listened to Norm in eons, Stephen A-? Verbal diarrhea.
Was lamenting in another thread the bygone days of Keith Jackson. When he was calling a game it made it bigger than it already was. I don't get that today from anybody in the business.
My perception of todays talking heads is, they are so frantic to market their individual "brand" (what a joke) that they try to be bigger than the game they are covering.
I don't know if "The Sports Reporters," are still a thing on ESPN Sundays, but those people were generally pretty solid, IMO. I suspect that's because they were all generally print reporters first, and only later became E-Media people.

Eight

To try and save this thread, what sports talking heads do you all consider to be good?

Steel really likes Norm Hitzges, great interviews; and Stephen A. is very entertaining to listen to. Bill Simmons has a good podcast.

norm is a different breed from the likes of bayless and mac

stephen a is right there with cowhard, bayless etc.....his show is an act that is done purely for audience reaction, almost like a good trial lawyer

Billy Clyde

Just had another thought, sorry for not starting a thread: If I want entertaining sports radio, I'll tune in on a road trip during football season in some remote parts of the state and catch some Friday night football. Country boys doing the broadcast of Podunk High Football can be some great stuff.

jake102

There’s a pretty funny tweet reply to him from the other day. He called someone undisciplined or something and someone responded with a recent IG picture from his daughter looking quite trashy

I don’t know how to link

Frog-in-law1995

Simmons is greatness, haven't listened to Norm in eons, Stephen A- RUFKM? Verbal diarrhea.
Was lamenting in another thread the bygone days of Keith Jackson. When he was calling a game it made it bigger than it already was. I don't get that today from anybody in the business.
My perception of todays talking heads is, they are so frantic to market their individual "brand" (what a joke) that they try to be bigger than the game they are covering.
I don't know if "The Sports Reporters," are still a thing on ESPN Sundays, but those people were generally pretty solid, IMO. I suspect that's because they were all generally print reporters first, and only later became E-Media people.

Loved Keith Jackson. Chris Fowler and Brad Nessler are my current faves. As for pros, I’ll probably give up pro sports altogether when Eric Nadel, Brad Sham, Daryl Reaugh and, nationally, Al Michaels all hang it up.

Mean Purple

Loved Keith Jackson. Chris Fowler and Brad Nessler are my current faves. As for pros, I’ll probably give up pro sports altogether when Eric Nadel, Brad Sham, Daryl Reaugh and, nationally, Al Michaels all hang it up.
Ron Franklin and Mike Patrick were pretty good, for announcers. Brando is actually a really good interviewer. I miss that radio show he did. When the CBS thing ended, it ended.

Steel, Stephen A. is a joke. How can someone on national TV be so wrong about everything but basketball? Even talked about a KC player last year as being the big threat for that upcoming game. Problem was, that player had been and still was on injured reserve. In my world that would get me fired, but Noooooo, not Stephen A. And it has happened more than once, in fact, he was caught spewing blatant misinformation since because now all eyes are on his over-paid self. ESPN cares more about perceived ratings than credibility and correctness. Stephen A. is stealing the money. And what is so "entertaining" about him? That he raises his voice to end sentences? Geez steel, I need more than that.

I'm always surprised at people who get upset at people like Cowherd or Bayless or SAS and then re-post links to them.

If you don't like them, ignore them.

Anything else is free advertising.
Just don't understand why intelligent people like Steel like that Stephen A. Buffoon. I don't get upset; I just shake my head. Stephen A. was a college basketball player who began his work in journalism as a basketball beat writer at two or three newspapers before entering the TV world as (sound the trumpet blast) a basketball commentator. ESPN has thrown him into a world where he actually has to spend more hours preparing, which obviously he has not done. He needs to 'dance with what brung him.' On a positive side, the guy is not afraid to do a lot of shows for ESPN, and lately he has been OK. I think maybe he just has too much on his plate. If he is talking basketball he does have my ear.

steelfrog

Tier 1
He is very entertaining. Simple as that. His unapologetic buffoonery is funny.

None of these folks are particularly elucidating in terms of the information they provide. And certainly, SAS is mostly an NBA guy, which Steel has not much use for the NBA.

The real best sports guys are more in the journalist vein -- the guys who do longer stories, but you gotta have time to listen to them. There are literally none of those on daytime or nighttime radio. Steel can listen to podcasts when on long runs or walks, and in that case it's Bill Simmons or ESPN 30for30 podcasts. If sports at all, which it rarely is. Sports, quite frankly, is superfluous and dumb. Spending a lot of time on sports consumption identifies you as either someone with not much going on, or a moron. Steel normally listens to history podcasts or something like Revisionist History, or My History Beats Your Politics.

None of these folks are particularly elucidating in terms of the information they provide. And certainly, SAS is mostly an NBA guy, which Steel has not much use for the NBA.

The real best sports guys are more in the journalist vein -- the guys who do longer stories, but you gotta have time to listen to them. There are literally none of those on daytime or nighttime radio. Steel can listen to podcasts when on long runs or walks, and in that case it's Bill Simmons or ESPN 30for30 podcasts. If sports at all, which it rarely is. Sports, quite frankly, is superfluous and dumb. Spending a lot of time on sports consumption identifies you as either someone with not much going on, or a moron. Steel normally listens to history podcasts or something like Revisionist History, or My History Beats Your Politics.
2314 makes his living in sports. But like steel, the person who pens as 2314 loves history documentaries, especially docs done by the great Ken Burns. 2314 wishes steel's opine on Mr. Burns.

LVH

Colin Cowherd brings that [ Arschloch] RJ Bell on his show, which is why I don't tune in. I have worked with RJ Bell before and despise that scheisser.

Bill Simmons sold out to the church of social justice.

FBallFan123

Just don't understand why intelligent people like Steel like that Stephen A. Buffoon. I don't get upset; I just shake my head. Stephen A. was a college basketball player who began his work in journalism as a basketball beat writer at two or three newspapers before entering the TV world as (sound the trumpet blast) a basketball commentator. ESPN has thrown him into a world where he actually has to spend more hours preparing, which obviously he has not done. He needs to 'dance with what brung him.' On a positive side, the guy is not afraid to do a lot of shows for ESPN, and lately he has been OK. I think maybe he just has too much on his plate. If he is talking basketball he does have my ear.

ESPN went all in on football, basketball, and opinionated radio hosts and sports columnists.

None of which I care about (outside of TCU).

Outside of MLB games and TCU football, I don't watch ESPN.

It's a shame FS1 tried to copy them.

Last edited:

FBallFan123

This is why I stopped listening to almost all sports tv/radio or reading sports websites.

The easily digestible stuff (like radio shows, ESPN talks shows) usually just aren’t that smart or interesting.

And anything that may be long form stuff that may be done well...well I figure if I’d have that much time, I should spend it on something more important than sports-related content.

Like, 30 for 30’s are probably well done...but I really don’t care to spend one or two hours watching a Dennis Rodman documentary and whoever.

Last edited: