• The KillerFrogs

NIL Killing Recruiting

Endless Purple

Wait? Do you mean to tell me that TCU isn't going to pay as much NIL to recruits as Texas A$M, Texas, Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State?
images
and I hope they don't. I would rather no 5 star prima donnas.

Endless Purple

That certainly sounds right, but wow, how is that feasible long term for ever the Texas'/ATMs of the world. I imagine folks/businesses who give large NIL money each year want to see far more that what teams like Texas/ATM put out there. And I don't see that particularly changing for Texas now that they're moving into the SEC.

Seems unsustainable. And yes, I realize schools like Texas/ATM have a revolving door of multi-millionaire donors, but typically those folks don't just like burning money for nothing in return.
If you consider that donors will fork over 300-400 million for a stadium that can cover the $15 million NIL for a couple decades. Of course that means the schools will not be getting any donor funded stadiums soon.

I think one of the break dowsn comes when schools see less money directly, and when it comes down to NIL is not a charitable donation for corporations.

Not to mention, but pay to play is still technically against the rules even if not enforced. NIL is technically paying for marketing which is not really being done.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
If you consider that donors will fork over 300-400 million for a stadium that can cover the $15 million NIL for a couple decades. Of course that means the schools will not be getting any donor funded stadiums soon.

I think one of the break dowsn comes when schools see less money directly, and when it comes down to NIL is not a charitable donation for corporations.

Not to mention, but pay to play is still technically against the rules even if not enforced. NIL is technically paying for marketing which is not really being done.
I think I read where college football attendance has peaked, meaning that there will be fewer schools expanding their stadiums significantly. Most of the changes will be to add more luxury seating for their $$$ donors. That leaves plenty of room for NIL slush funds.

Endless Purple

I think I read where college football attendance has peaked, meaning that there will be fewer schools expanding their stadiums significantly. Most of the changes will be to add more luxury seating for their $$$ donors. That leaves plenty of room for NIL slush funds.
Who pays for the upgrades? Northwestern is shelling out 800 million for a smaller stadium.

Cougar/Frog

I believe this to be absolutely false. They are not based on demand as none of these players have proven they are good college players. This is more driven by market speculation when you are talking high school recruits. Market speculation can have much more devastating impacts than truly researched and developed pricing based upon actual value of goods.
It is crazy to think about. There are so many groups trying so hard to get in on the recruiting game kids are getting 4/5 star type treatment at 14 without ever playing a single game of varsity in high school. 29 states now authorize NIL for high school kids. I know a kid who got paid room, board, tuition, plus $40k to go to Bosco last season as a freshman. He didn't play a down of varsity last season. He already has offers from USC and other P5 schools.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Who pays for the upgrades? Northwestern is shelling out 800 million for a smaller stadium.

Mostly donors. Yes, NW is buildign a smaller stadium in line with the trend. Their existing stadium looks to be about 100 years old and has the matching facilities from when it opened. I last saw a game there in 2019.

CryptoMiner

I believe this to be absolutely false. They are not based on demand as none of these players have proven they are good college players. This is more driven by market speculation when you are talking high school recruits. Market speculation can have much more devastating impacts than truly researched and developed pricing based upon actual value of goods.

Add in the desire by certain individuals to win at any cost....

Endless Purple

Mostly donors. Yes, NW is buildign a smaller stadium in line with the trend. Their existing stadium looks to be about 100 years old and has the matching facilities from when it opened. I last saw a game there in 2019.
That's my point, the stadiums will still need upgrades, modernization, fancy stuff for rich people, etc and that requires donors. Not changing with attendance dropping.

Still speculation on impact, but I think in 10 years we will be able to look back and see how donations to schools vs money paid to NIL totals out.

Anytime you have two or more teams wanting a player they will try to outbid each other. How many teams want the top five star paper tigers? There are failures every year as well. I just want to win a National Championship and we got close last year. Our talent level compared to Georgias was not good. If those players are required to win we need to do more.

Cougar/Frog

Anytime you have two or more teams wanting a player they will try to outbid each other. How many teams want the top five star paper tigers? There are failures every year as well. I just want to win a National Championship and we got close last year. Our talent level compared to Georgias was not good. If those players are required to win we need to do more.
Schools need to find players that fit and want to go to the school.

I remember reading that Miami's decline started when it stopped doing its own scouting and just trusting recruiting rankings. Same thing happened to Texas later.

TCU struggled a bit when Gary was successful and suddenly stars wanted to come and brought their problems and attitudes.

There are great players who are 4/5 stars. But too many are just chasing money and not willing to put in the work and may have topped out at 16 or 18.

Moose Stuff

Now that I have a son and his teammates going through the recruiting process I have heard some troubling news. The 5 star top talent everyone wants and only Bama or Georgia seem to get are commanding 2 million dollars per year for 3 years of college. I hope TCU can compete but word on the street is Texas and Texas A&M will pay more than TCU will. This is already professional sports we might as well have a draft to keep it fair. Unreal and ruing college football.
So because of NIL we’re not gonna get guys that we already weren’t getting. Got it.

LVH

1. We were never getting these players anyway

2. I am still operating under the idea that in the long run, the investment these schools shell out for these players will not be a good investment. I just feel like paying an 18 year old millions of dollars before he has accomplished anything on the college football field will backfire because it will set in complacency and entitlement. Look at Texas A&M last year. Highest paid roster in the country and couldn't even win 6 games.

18 year olds with a lot of money is a bad idea. At least in the NFL when they get paid they are a bit older, and their money is directly tied to performance. They can get cut and shown the door and it could mean the end of the line for them. In college these players who get paid can slack off and know they can just transfer somewhere else when the jig is up and continue the grift.

yurintroubl

Those that know me IRL or have interacted with me here for a bit know I am not the type to idly chatter. I have no documented proof of the following... just what I've heard and I know a handful of well-placed folks close to a few SEC programs...

I've been told that Alabama actually pays out CONSIDERABLY less NIL $$ than their "Top Tier Recruiting" brethren. Why? Because Alabama puts so many guys in the league and has been doing so forever (and Saban doesn't place any divas above his program). Georgia is heading that same direction in that Yes - they have a lot of NIL bucks to throw around... but they save the top dollar payouts to guys they want to KEEP around a little longer. A certain TE has been mentioned by more than one I've talked to.

Cougar/Frog

Those that know me IRL or have interacted with me here for a bit know I am not the type to idly chatter. I have no documented proof of the following... just what I've heard and I know a handful of well-placed folks close to a few SEC programs...

I've been told that Alabama actually pays out CONSIDERABLY less NIL $$ than their "Top Tier Recruiting" brethren. Why? Because Alabama puts so many guys in the league and has been doing so forever (and Saban doesn't place any divas above his program). Georgia is heading that same direction in that Yes - they have a lot of NIL bucks to throw around... but they save the top dollar payouts to guys they want to KEEP around a little longer. A certain TE has been mentioned by more than one I've talked to.

Saban hates this. He is trying to limit it.

2. I am still operating under the idea that in the long run, the investment these schools shell out for these players will not be a good investment. I just feel like paying an 18 year old millions of dollars before he has accomplished anything on the college football field will backfire because it will set in complacency and entitlement. Look at Texas A&M last year. Highest paid roster in the country and couldn't even win 6 games.
Agreed. (Especially when these 501(c)(3) shells get exposed.)

froginmn

I wonder when the accounting/tax issues will arise and make this a bigger mess.

Meaning, these dollars aren't accounted for correctly as "business expenses", an athlete doesn't report the income, or someone is claiming them as charitable donations and someone from a rival school rats that out.

It clearly isn't being handled as NIL and that affects the IRS as much as anyone.

LSU Game Attendee

I think this is a big part of why schools like Alabama and Georgia win, while schools like Ole Miss and A&M fart and fall down.