• The KillerFrogs

NIL Killing Recruiting

Now that I have a son and his teammates going through the recruiting process I have heard some troubling news. The 5 star top talent everyone wants and only Bama or Georgia seem to get are commanding 2 million dollars per year for 3 years of college. I hope TCU can compete but word on the street is Texas and Texas A&M will pay more than TCU will. This is already professional sports we might as well have a draft to keep it fair. Unreal and ruing college football.

tcudoc

Now that I have a son and his teammates going through the recruiting process I have heard some troubling news. The 5 star top talent everyone wants and only Bama or Georgia seem to get are commanding 2 million dollars per year for 3 years of college. I hope TCU can compete but word on the street is Texas and Texas A&M will pay more than TCU will. This is already professional sports we might as well have a draft to keep it fair. Unreal and ruing college football.
I’m in for $10, if that helps.

Eight

this has been coming for some time

don't completely buy the amount that is getting thrown around, but we do currently have an open market unlike in the past when it was under the table

schools like uga, texas, and atm are not the concern, but schools such as ole miss, smu, colorado who are aggressively trying to poach kids off rosters when the players aren't even in the portal

do believe that the early model some on here discussed for tcu where nil money was going through one group and those dollars were going to be spread across the sports might need to be rethought

CountryFrog

Might be the first time I've ever seen someone describe a person getting $6mm straight out of college as "troubling". I hope those kids are OK.
It can be good for a few individual kids and also unhealthy for the sport as a whole. I think we also saw with the Jaden Rashada saga that it can sometimes be not so good for some kids too. I personally am indifferent to kids getting paid. I'd just like to see a more regulated and structured system in place that provides some level of competitive balance for the teams and to make sure the kids aren't being jerked around by agents or other nefarious third parties.

It certainly all worked out really well for the Aggies last year though so that's a positive.

Zubaz

It can be good for a few individual kids and also unhealthy for the sport as a whole.
Success in the sport has been driven by the teams with the most funds for 40+ years. They have the nicest facilities, they poach the best coaches, they build the nicest stadiums, they have the richest tv deals, etc. Shoot, they already got the best players anyway, now this is just the latest piece.

CountryFrog

Success in the sport has been driven by the teams with the most funds for 40+ years. They have the nicest facilities, they poach the best coaches, they build the nicest stadiums, they have the richest tv deals, etc. Shoot, they already got the best players anyway, now this is just the latest piece.
That's fine that it's been happening this way for a long time but that doesn't necessarily mean it's all good.

The national champion used to be crowned by a media poll for a century. Then people finally decided there might be a better way. Certain schools will always have inherent advantages but that doesn't mean that some level of competitive balance shouldn't even be strived for.

Wexahu

In the past though, when they had players that didn't work out for them, they couldn't just discard them and go get someone else's best players and immediately plug them into their depth chart.

THAT is the real difference. The immediate eligibility for transfers rule changed everything.

The payments are determined by market forces supply and demand. The higher the demand the higher the price. Oregon is throwing around money like crazy. Funny the deals are for 3 years then the assumption is the go to NFL. Five star online-men get huge payouts. Same as NFL qb’s get the most, pash rushing dlinemen dends etc.

The word on the street is if you want to get drafted in the first round go to SEC team. If you kick ass at TCU our conference is now inferior to the SEC. Do great in SEC get drafted high due to best competition. For the record I think it is total [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]. With each SEC team getting 100 million per year they can outbid us in the NIL arms race. TCU needs to get out the checkbook like the old days and counteract this narrative.

If I was the recruit would I go where I am offered 2 million per year NIL money versus a school offering 100 k? Hell yes I would. You can be set for life before college! They are going to need a college draft and cut down on free agency aka the transfer rule. We lost Evans to money from Ole Miss that was in the open. Teams are buying transfers left and right. Kids getting all this money early what could go wrong?

Eight

Troubling for the sport.

troubling was 8-10 years back when the various lawsuits got filed and the players at northwestern tried to unionize

the ncaa and the college presidents saw the nlrb ruling as confirmation of their views instead of a warning that they needed to see what was headed their way

their lack of action, the supreme court ruling, and the various guidelines crafted by multiple state legislatures has left us with in a situation where we aren't going back and the future is going to be profoundly different

Last edited:

Wexahu

The payments are determined by market forces supply and demand. The higher the demand the higher the price. Oregon is throwing around money like crazy. Funny the deals are for 3 years then the assumption is the go to NFL. Five star online-men get huge payouts. Same as NFL qb’s get the most, pash rushing dlinemen dends etc.

The word on the street is if you want to get drafted in the first round go to SEC team. If you kick ass at TCU our conference is now inferior to the SEC. Do great in SEC get drafted high due to best competition. For the record I think it is total [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]. With each SEC team getting 100 million per year they can outbid us in the NIL arms race. TCU needs to get out the checkbook like the old days and counteract this narrative.

If I was the recruit would I go where I am offered 2 million per year NIL money versus a school offering 100 k? Hell yes I would. You can be set for life before college! They are going to need a college draft and cut down on free agency aka the transfer rule. We lost Evans to money from Ole Miss that was in the open. Teams are buying transfers left and right. Kids getting all this money early what could go wrong?
And you rarely see these guys in any kind of advertising, commercials, or anything like that. "Name, Image, Likeness"......LOL, what a joke.

Eight

so tcu had all those players drafted "despite " the weak conference?

Wexahu

How big of a check are you willing to write? I can tell you how big mine will be. $0.00.

It's fun spending other people's money though.

Zubaz

THAT is the real difference. The immediate eligibility for transfers rule changed everything.
There's a pretty easy way to fix that, but schools / NCAA don't want to go down that road. So this is what we get instead. Oh well, it's better than what the players got 5 years ago at least, so that's a positive.