• The KillerFrogs

NIL isn't all bad. Company paying tuition for all 36 walk ons at BYU

froginmn

They won’t, but this is exactly what the NCAA has to step in and stop. NIL has to be based on some sort of market value. This CLEARLY isn’t.
I'm sure the NCAA will step in and flex its muscles.

05785161d498178767f3572fff7fdf7a_w200.gif

Eight

They won’t, but this is exactly what the NCAA has to step in and stop. NIL has to be based on some sort of market value. This CLEARLY isn’t.

the ncaa only has the authority given to it by its members when those members agree to work together and follow the rules

that hasn't happened in quite some time and the ncaa has been stared down far, far too many times. schools know they have no teeth and there is no common leadership among the schools

FinanceFrog

I don’t have an issue with this at all - this is the free market at work.

the alternative has been to outlaw this type of stuff and saddle walk-ons with student loans. if an outside entity is willing to pay, why not let them?

these kids have put in the work to play d1 football, good for them.

I don’t have an issue with this at all - this is the free market at work.

the alternative has been to outlaw this type of stuff and saddle walk-ons with student loans. if an outside entity is willing to pay, why not let them?

these kids have put in the work to play d1 football, good for them.
Well, good sir, the "free market" will eventually leave us with about 20-30 college football programs competing at the highest level, which will be the NFL minor leagues.

Once college players unionize, it's over for schools like TCU.

FBallFan123

This is good for the athletes, so I’m not gonna say I’m against it.

But it’s prolly not gonna be good for the “product” of college sports … but it’s a product I consume very little of these days, so I don’t know if I can say I care all that much.

The eventuality seems to be it’ll be better financially to be a walk-on at a few select big schools than a full ride most anywhere else.

Watch the SEC and Big Ten rosters expand and consolidate even more talent.

notyalc

Wait till GP starts developing players up to their Sophmore year and they get poached with a big NIL to a blueblood school. No one will like it then.

FinanceFrog

Well, good sir, the "free market" will eventually leave us with about 20-30 college football programs competing at the highest level, which will be the NFL minor leagues.

Once college players unionize, it's over for schools like TCU.

no way - kids want to play football. you aren’t going to have 300 to 400 man roster football teams. That’s a ridiculous extrapolation.

no way - kids want to play football. you aren’t going to have 300 to 400 man roster football teams. That’s a ridiculous extrapolation.
A lot of guys want to play baseball, too. That's why there are amateur softball leagues all over the country. But you don't see those games being televised. So yeah, there will be Division III and Club football at the college level. Are you going to be all fired up to pay for that?

They said there was no slippery slope, but clearly an avalanche is coming, and schools like TCU and even Texas Tech will be on the outside looking in. It's simple logic.

FinanceFrog

A lot of guys want to play baseball, too. That's why there are amateur softball leagues all over the country. But you don't see those games being televised. So yeah, there will be Division III and Club football at the college level. Are you going to be all fired up to pay for that?

They said there was no slippery slope, but clearly an avalanche is coming, and schools like TCU and even Texas Tech will be on the outside looking in. It's simple logic.

this is an extrapolation that covid scientists would fawn over. Alabama and OU aren’t going to have 250 man teams. And if they did, no one is paying the 16th string linebacker anything so he has no incentive to go there.

kids want to play football and go to the league. They realize that you don’t develop and get noticed unless you play on Saturday’s.

Moose Stuff

This is good for the athletes, so I’m not gonna say I’m against it.

But it’s prolly not gonna be good for the “product” of college sports … but it’s a product I consume very little of these days, so I don’t know if I can say I care all that much.

The eventuality seems to be it’ll be better financially to be a walk-on at a few select big schools than a full ride most anywhere else.

Watch the SEC and Big Ten rosters expand and consolidate even more talent.

I couldn’t be more against it. College football is dying a quick death.