• The KillerFrogs

Next week’s game

jake102

Who would you rather have on the field?...... Hunt or Austin? Hunt or Stewart? Mathis or Eppley? I’d rather play the young high upside kid during what is basically a lost year than the mediocre at best SR who really isn’t doing anything to impact the team. I get it.... those three are good kids, they play hard..... whatever... Next.

Yep. Austin, Stewart, Epley, Arico Evans aren't going to NFL and they haven't been game changers for TCU. We NEED guys like Stephens and Hunt to step-up next to Reagor next year, we NEED Mathis to fill a spot at DE next year, we NEED Wilson to start at LB next season. These aren't wish list depth chart items, these are essentials in 2019.

Eight

Yep. Austin, Stewart, Epley, Arico Evans aren't going to NFL and they haven't been game changers for TCU. We NEED guys like Stephens and Hunt to step-up next to Reagor next year, we NEED Mathis to fill a spot at DE next year, we NEED Wilson to start at LB next season. These aren't wish list depth chart items, these are essentials in 2019.

the biggest sin to me is not that you don't start the younger players, but they are not even mixed into the rotation getting real snaps.

if they want to start the seniors so be it, but as i have written multiple times when you have seniors making the same mistakes it is time for the youth to most likely make the same mistakes and learn for next year and beyond

Eight

no doubt, but that is the good thing about it being a true freshman versus a senior

sharp and fitch go over the film, mathis has seen first hand this is no longer football as he played at manor high, and over the off-season and spring he addresses the weaknesses

Wexahu

Who would you rather have on the field?...... Hunt or Austin? Hunt or Stewart? Mathis or Eppley? I’d rather play the young high upside kid during what is basically a lost year than the mediocre at best SR who really isn’t doing anything to impact the team. I get it.... those three are good kids, they play hard..... whatever... Next.

I can see your point, but I don't really have the same thoughts on a "lost season" per se. I think every game is important even if we aren't ranked in the Top 25 or really have any hardware at stake. It was important to beat Baylor last week....maybe if Daniels played the whole game he would've been burned a time or two and we'd have lost, who knows. But it's important to win games no matter what and I don't think Hunt or Mathis have really shown much at this point. No sense putting a kid out there who is just going to be a liability unless the kids ahead of them just can't play. Really haven't seen Stewart play much anyway and I think Austin is in there as much for blocking than anything else. One thing I will agree on is we have a senior LB who consistently gets major PT who seems out of position all the time so no idea why Wilson hasn't been given more a shot.

Moose Stuff

I can see your point, but I don't really have the same thoughts on a "lost season" per se. I think every game is important even if we aren't ranked in the Top 25 or really have any hardware at stake. It was important to beat Baylor last week....maybe if Daniels played the whole game he would've been burned a time or two and we'd have lost, who knows. But it's important to win games no matter what and I don't think Hunt or Mathis have really shown much at this point. No sense putting a kid out there who is just going to be a liability unless the kids ahead of them just can't play. Really haven't seen Stewart play much anyway and I think Austin is in there as much for blocking than anything else. One thing I will agree on is we have a senior LB who consistently gets major PT who seems out of position all the time so no idea why Wilson hasn't been given more a shot.

Why do you assume any of the kids I named is a liability? We haven’t seen anything to suggest that’s what they are.

Eight

i agree wex that the number one goal is to win every game, but with a program that is an ongoing duel between decisions made that are best for that specific year's team and the future of the program.

mixing in younger players where they can contribute is part of nurturing the future of the program and in some cases helps maximize the results of the specific year's team.

the question becomes do you reward longevity when you have older players who are providing results that are marginally better if not equal to younger players.

Wexahu

Why do you assume any of the kids I named is a liability? We haven’t seen anything to suggest that’s what they are.

I guess the obvious answer is why do you think they wouldn't be? Hunt has had 3-4 chances to make a play and hasn't done it on any of them. He also has a fumble on one of his few catches and runs this season. Honestly what I've seen out of him is he looks pretty lost out there running routes so I would say he might be a liability right now from what we've seen. I really haven't seen enough from Mathis to know one way or another. My main dispute is with the idea that "we've already lost 6 games so these games don't really matter, just play a bunch of young guys because who really cares if you lose again".

What frustrates me more is that kids get a chance to play, do some really positive things (like Stephens and the Davis's) and then you won't see them out there for three more weeks.

Moose Stuff

I guess the obvious answer is why do you think they wouldn't be? Hunt has had 3-4 chances to make a play and hasn't done it on any of them. He also has a fumble on one of his few catches and runs this season. Honestly what I've seen out of him is he looks pretty lost out there running routes so I would say he might be a liability right now from what we've seen. I really haven't seen enough from Mathis to know one way or another. My main dispute is with the idea that "we've already lost 6 games so these games don't really matter, just play a bunch of young guys because who really cares if you lose again".

What frustrates me more is that kids get a chance to play, do some really positive things (like Stephens and the Davis's) and then you won't see them out there for three more weeks.

Pretty solid position you’ve taken there. You’ve called them a liability with little evidence to support it and then put it on me to prove you wrong. I’d just rather see those guys play than the others I listed. That’s it. If you disagree that’s fine.

dawg

Sagarin ratings alone would have the OSU @ TCU game at about a pick ‘em.

My guess is they adjust the line due to all the injuries and make OSU a low-mid single digit favorite.

Vegas doesn't have a line posted yet; hard to see it being lower than +7, given how Okie St's offense has looked the past two weeks and us being down to QB3 and RB10.

WIN

This team needs an infusion of new leadership, play as many young guys a possible and cut them loose.

Eight

For anyone that was thinking Rogers might play

thanks shorty, but this thing has been discussed so many times gary has been clear for quite some time justin was not going to play this year

speaking of which, who was the color commentator who kept talking over the top of america's favorite greek tailback and who talked about wanting to see rogers play which showed just how much prep work he did for saturday's game

netty2424

Just watched Gundy’s presser. Says Hill is doing much better and should get considerably better with each day. Comments I’ve heard are, it’s a matter of how much pain he can endure. Badly bruised ribs is the scuttlebutt. Probably a flak jacket on game day.
Thanks. He’s a difference maker and would certainly benefit the good side if he wasn’t able to go this week. That said, I haven’t looked up the stats, but it’s doesnt seem from the two games I’ve watched that y’all are having any problems making it up on the ground. Cornelius and Hill’s back up have done a nice job filling that void it seems.

ShreveFrog

speaking of which, who was the color commentator who kept talking over the top of america's favorite greek tailback and who talked about wanting to see rogers play which showed just how much prep work he did for saturday's game

That would be DeMarco Murray teaming up with Papadakis. I think Murray's the one that said Waco is all about In N Out Burgers and Baylor football, orwtte.

Eight

That would be DeMarco Murray teaming up with Papadakis. I think Murray's the one that said Waco is all about In N Out Burgers and Baylor football, orwtte.

papadakis might have an annoying voice, but he does add value

murray on the other, shut the scheiss up and let some other people talk and maybe, just maybe check out a few things before you say something