• The KillerFrogs

Newy interviewed an emotional Coach P about the title game

MinFrog

The dude drug TCU out of the doldrums and onto the national stage. That is the reason he got a statue.

But then he bailed mid-season and showed up at a rival to coach against TCU. That was a pretty crappy thing to do. And now he has to watch the team he assembled go play for a championship the first year after he left.

So he was a hero for 20 years, then acted in the exact opposite manor for a year. My guess is he regrets how he handled his exit and going to UT, but who knows.

Leave the statue up, he did some amazing things here. But let's not act like he should be on the bus when we beat Georgia - he just spend the last year wearing burnt orange.

Deep Purple

I don’t think he was intentionally trying to wreck anything. Like a lot of coaches, his momentum couldn’t be maintained and was replace. I don’t really see this as a reason for the venom being sent his way. And I doubt any kind sentimental visit is going to contaminate anything Sonny is trying to build. If Sonny doesn’t have a problem, no one else’s opinion has an ounce of mattering. It wouldn’t surprise at all that GP still has some wisdom regarding football to impart. But only If he is asked.
You're minimizing events to downplay the role Patterson played in his own demise. If only it were as simplistic as you portray. Unfortunately, there's a lot more to it than simply GP being "unable to sustain momentum." In the first place, he was offered multiple opportunities over multiple years to make needed changes. He simply refused. Presumably, that's when the hubris had taken over. Nobody was going to tell him how to run his program, and he wasn't open to even the most positive and constructive suggestions because he had come to believe (as he told his players ), "I'm untouchable."

In the second place, when TCU decided it was time for him to exit the head coach picture, the University offered him the dignity of stepping up into a prominent administrative position. It was the same basic exit scenario TCU offered its second-greatest coach, Dutch Meyer, in 1952. Since TCU was attempting to honor Patterson in the same way it had honored the Dutchman, it was anyhting but a slap in the face or being kicked to the curb. His ego simply wouldn't allow him to accept it with the same grace and dignity as Dutch had exhibited. Instead, he threw a hissy and stormed off in a picque to embrace UT.

I have no venom for GP. I'm grateful for his contributions, and unlike many here, I don't resent his association with the Longhorns. However,
I do not care for the contempt he showed for TCU's generous offer, nor for making his exit far more awkward and downright rancorous than it had to be. TCU will not ignore his front-rank role in our football history. The time will come for reconciliation and recognition -- just as it did with Kenneth Davis. But that time is not now. Frankly, it's far too soon. And some of you have a really lousey sense of timing.

Eight

The dude drug TCU out of the doldrums and onto the national stage. That is the reason he got a statue.

But then he bailed mid-season and showed up at a rival to coach against TCU. That was a pretty crappy thing to do. And now he has to watch the team he assembled go play for a championship the first year after he left.

So he was a hero for 20 years, then acted in the exact opposite manor for a year. My guess is he regrets how he handled his exit and going to UT, but who knows.

Leave the statue up, he did some amazing things here. But let's not act like he should be on the bus when we beat Georgia - he just spend the last year wearing burnt orange.

won't speak for others, but the fall of gary for me simply didn't happen over a year, it was the cracks that started to appear in 2015 and grew bigger and bigger while he dug in deeper and deeper

HornyWartyToad

There actually IS a reason to talk about Gary. He put himself on TV last night for the first time since he was let go to draw attention to himself 4 days before the biggest sporting event in TCU history. It was deliberate. He WANTED people to talk about him, and it worked I guess.
Yup. If you were one of the bizillions who got "outraged" at Harry & Meagan for baring their souls on TV but can't see the problem with Gary doing it in this moment, you are wildly inconsistent with your ire.

HornyWartyToad

Not that it really makes much difference, but I think GP needed TCU as much as TCU needed GP. It worked here very well for awhile, but I don't think it would have worked like it did here for Gary at many other places.
Very much so. He might could have done something similar at say, UCF, UH, or oddly enough even Baylor, but the schools that are in position to be able to land a sufficient volume of recruits who are able to develop into legit D-1 players, without being a "big" school, AND where the fanbase and media and power brokers will leave you alone and let you coach, are few and far between.

HornyWartyToad

This thread is like when NFL players have been in training camp too long and they start to get angry over little stuff and beat the [ Finebaum ] out of each other because they don't have an opponent. I hope they players on the team are similarly angry, it's a great time to release the beast and go get after somebody!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
You're minimizing events to downplay the role Patterson played in his own demise. If only it were as simplistic as you portray. Unfortunately, there's a lot more to it than simply GP being "unable to sustain momentum." In the first place, he was offered multiple opportunities over multiple years to make needed changes. He simply refused. Presumably, that's when the hubris had taken over. Nobody was going to tell him how to run his program, and he wasn't open to even the most positive and constructive suggestions because he had come to believe (as he told his players ), "I'm untouchable."

In the second place, when TCU decided it was time for him to exit the head coach picture, the University offered him the dignity of stepping up into a prominent administrative position. It was the same basic exit scenario TCU offered its second-greatest coach, Dutch Meyer, in 1952. Since TCU was attempting to honor Patterson in the same way it had honored the Dutchman, it was anyhting but a slap in the face or being kicked to the curb. His ego simply wouldn't allow him to accept it with the same grace and dignity as Dutch had exhibited. Instead, he threw a hissy and stormed off in a picque to embrace UT.

I have no venom for GP. I'm grateful for his contributions, and unlike many here, I don't resent his association with the Longhorns. However,
I do not care for the contempt he showed for TCU's generous offer, nor for making his exit far more awkward and downright rancorous than it had to be. TCU will not ignore his front-rank role in our football history. The time will come for reconciliation and recognition -- just as it did with Kenneth Davis. But that time is not now. Frankly, it's far too soon. And some of you have a really lousey sense of timing.
I never meant to minimize Gary’s part in this. Gary was and always seemed to have the asst coach mentality. He was never the polished head coach type. He was the epitome of the asst coach of the era his style was formulated. He is all emotion, a screamer till his voice was raw, stubborn to his detriment. A flawed man like most of us. I don’t discount his part in the ugly ending. But I kind of see how he might have felt.

I’m sure he was indignant that TCU was taking away his baby. Maybe he is like the imperfect father that was more about giving the belt to the kid than having a calm talk, but still loved them and wanted the best for them. When the divorce came he was offered a great visitation deal, even able stay at home, if that’s a fitting analogy. But he was probably too proud, stubborn and caught up in the emotions to see his part in the break up.

I’m not saying he was right, but you can tell from his interviews he is a different without the pressures of coaching. It wouldn’t surprise me at all that he reacted to having his baby taken from him poorly and might do it differently If he could. I don’t know the man, but I’m too old to hold grudges and just feel it’s time to forgive and forget.

Last edited:
Gosh I hope the team isn’t thinking about this rather than UGA. While our post count is up, (which we all know affects our level of play) the hate is flowing to the wrong place. Wish our opponent visitors were more condescending and verbose like meechigans were.
This board needs to focus on the task at hand. Time enough for mending fences, if both parties want to mend them, on Tuesday and beyond.

Eight

I never meant to minimize Gary’s part in this. Gary was and always seemed to have the asst coach mentality. He was never the polished head coach type. He was the epitome of the asst coach of the era his style was formulated. He is all emotion, a screamer till his voice was raw, stubborn to his detriment. A flawed man like most of us. I don’t discount his part in the ugly ending. But I kind of see how he might have felt.

I’m sure he was indignant that TCU was taking away his baby. Maybe he is like the imperfect father that was more about giving the belt to the kid than having a calm talk, but still loved them and wanted the best for them. When the divorce came he was offered a great visitation deal, even able stay at home, if that’s a fitting analogy. But he was probably too proud, stubborn and caught up in the emotions to see his part in the break up.

I’m not saying he was right, but you can tell from his interviews he is a different without the pressures Of coaching. It wouldn’t surprise me at all that he reacted to having his baby taken from him poorly and might do it differently If he could. I don’t know the man, but I’m too old to hold grudges and just feel it’s time to forgive and forget.

think your comment about the asst coach mentality is a very good one and i think it might sum up why the way he had always done things because in large part his down fall

each jump up in conference required more and more to compete and the frogs program evolved only so much and got to a point it was simply unsustainable working in that manner

MinFrog

won't speak for others, but the fall of gary for me simply didn't happen over a year, it was the cracks that started to appear in 2015 and grew bigger and bigger while he dug in deeper and deeper
For sure the past few years he lost his fastball. But if he had made a smooth transition and not gone to UT, everyone would have been sad but understandable.

To basically fail for 3 years, then bail midseason just to show up in Austin - pretty crappy.

HornyWartyToad

Gosh I hope the team isn’t thinking about this rather than UGA. While our post count is up, (which we all know affects our level of play) the hate is flowing to the wrong place. Wish our opponent visitors were more condescending and verbose like meechigans were.
This board needs to focus on the task at hand. Time enough for mending fences, if both parties want to mend them, on Tuesday and beyond.
I don't hate our upcoming opponent. I don't love them. I don't feel anything for them, they are simply the next enemy who has to die.

LisaLT

It's gotta be a tremendous blow to his ego that Sonny Dykes and Co came in and within ONE year has this team playing for a national championship. I also think it must be agonizing for him to look in the mirror and confront his own personal failings with regards to how he handled this program really from about 2016 and on, his unwillingness to change and perhaps his loyalty to staff that needed to go. Complacency set in. That certainly makes it hard to motivate your athletes too.

If I were GP, I think I would rather watch the game on TV, than be in attendance for this. Too painful in many ways, and bittersweet too.

Wexahu

I’m not saying he was right, but you can tell from his interviews he is a different without the pressures Of coaching. It wouldn’t surprise me at all that he reacted to having his baby taken from him poorly and might do it differently If he could. I don’t know the man, but I’m too old to hold grudges and just feel it’s time to forgive and forget.
There is a time to forgive and forget and extend the olive branch. That time is NOT now, during the week of this program's biggest game in maybe ever.

I'll put it another way......Gary owes it to TCU and this program to not be a distraction in any way, shape or form right now. And him showing up for the game as TCU's "guest" (good god, maybe the dumbest thing I've ever heard on here), or accepting interviews to talk about TCU both fit that bill. And I know people will say Gary doesn't owe TCU anything, and I say BS to that.