• The KillerFrogs

New Season Starts Today: Get to 8 Wins

Wexahu

When the polls come out in a bit we are going to see that our only two losses are to ranked teams. Both of those teams are in the top 10 in the country offensively in point per game.

The big 12 is really down this year. OU is beatable with 4 close wins against mediocre competition. Okie St doesn’t look great and they may be the top team in the conference. Baylor, WVU, TTU and KU are all very beatable.

I think the rest of our games except KU will all be very close games. If the football gods shine on us, we could win 8 games and this would be an acceptable season.

Our fan base needs to drop the lunacy off anything less than a 10 win season is a failure. They are setting themselves up to be disappointed every year and always be negative. I thought we were going to win 10 games this year. If Darius Davis doesn’t fumble twice or that TJ Carter hit stays as called, we probably win and our fan base is thinking we have a chance for 10 wins.

We wait nine months for the season to start. Enjoy it!
I don’t think there’s any doubt this is the worst the league has been since we’ve joined it, so that does give us a chance to win some games. If OSU is the best team, that is quite an indictment of the league. I still think it’s OU, but that’s not to say they are some great team, haven’t been impressed at all. Nothing like years past.

CountryFrog

the frogs simply have to start with one win in lubbock this weeked

doing that requires the defense start making rapid improvement. season is 1/3 of the way over so if people aren't getting the job done time to make some changes,

figure out what you can execute and work from there, but this defense needs to start making basic plays on a a consistent basis

read i don't know how many times on this site about the impact of the targeting call, but still waiting for thoughts on mathis losing containment on thompson and he going for 40+ yards on the very next play. simply make the play in front of you
Simply make the play in front of you certainly would've solved that problem after the targeting call. One of the reasons, though, why that call was so frustrating is precisely because of the fact that the Frogs are NOT good at making those plays on defense. So to see one of the very few 3 & outs this season (that also happened to be deep in Texas territory) wiped out by a 50/50 type of call from the booth was maddening.

Obviously the better alternative would be to simply have a really good defense that lines up properly, fills gaps, keeps leverage, and tackles well. Unfortunately that hasn't been in the cards for us so far this season.

SuperTFrog

Is the Big 12 down and gettable, or is less than ten wins not a failure? Which is it? There's a logical contradiction
I don’t get it. IMO, the league is down this year and if we win 9 games the season is not a failure. Just because the league is down doesn’t mean that we should be a 10 win team. Sports are hard. Better teams lose ALL THE TIME. I’m soccer there are games where one team controls 70% of the possession, outnumbers the team 20-2 in shots on goal and LOSES. They are clearly better and yet somehow, on that day, they lose.

WhatTheFrog

At this point I feel like 6 is the most realistic but 8 or more is possible if every domino falls our way
Not one, but TWO offsides calls on kickoffs. When does that ever happen? I see it all day long on Saturdays and Sundays, but we're the lucky ones to get called for it. I have no faith in the dominos.

PO Frog

I didn’t read the game thread. Did anyone discuss what the hell we were doing with the half-squib garbage kickoff that gave them the ball at the 45 or so? Did anyone ask GP what was the goal there? If you’re going to give them such field position you may as well just onside the SOB.

vicarfrog

Time to reset everybody: The new goal is to find our way to 8 wins, then a 9th in the bowl game.

Here’s the path:

(2) Booked: Duquesne, Cal

(1 out of 1) Take the Saddle: @Tech

(3 out of 3) Defend the Carter: WVU, Baylor, Kansas

(1 out of 2) Win One in Oklahoma: @OKLA, @OKLA ST

(1 out of 2) Road Warriors: @IOWAST, @KSU

I’ve watched a lot of TCU football this year, but I’ve watched even more CFB and Big 12, and this plan IS doable. Everybody is flawed, everybody is injured. TCU is clearly getting a little better each week, and while that improvement is sometimes uneven/unbalanced, it’s been a steady net positive.

The new season starts this week… Tech is a must win, we should be favored lightly, and remember Tech really isn’t that good. Night games in Lubbock are tough, but something tells me this team can do it. Win this road game and we are back on the right side of momentum.

Let’s go.

Crazy thing is we could lose to both Oklahoma schools and beat Iowa State and Kansas State, and still get to 8 wins.

CountryFrog

I didn’t read the game thread. Did anyone discuss what the hell we were doing with the half-squib garbage kickoff that gave them the ball at the 45 or so? Did anyone ask GP what was the goal there? If you’re going to give them such field position you may as well just onside the SOB.
I think the goal was to have a better squib kick executed by your kicker.

I'm not endorsing the decision btw, but that was certainly the thinking. Either way I'm sure our special teams coach will be held adequately responsible for the [ Finebaum ] show that has been our special teams this year and especially that game outside of the one kick return.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
Another example of poor strategy and leadership, and it starts at the top and rolls down to the best friend assistants who “need raises or they will leave”

Here’s the path:

✅ (2) Booked: Duquesne, Cal

✅ (1 out of 1) Take the Saddle: @Tech

(3 out of 3) Defend the Carter: WVU, Baylor, Kansas

(1 out of 2) Win One in Oklahoma: @OKLA, @OKLA ST

(1 out of 2) Road Warriors: @IOWAST, @KSU

So far, so good.

Next up: See if we can’t take one in Oklahoma.