• The KillerFrogs

New Season Starts Today: Get to 8 Wins

ticketfrog123

I love the optimism and certainly hope you're right. I used to be optimistic about this program too not that long ago. But I'm now fully in "need to see it before I believe it" mode unfortunately.

We all have a breaking point. I've hit mine but I'm glad many others still have the optimism that I once enjoyed.
[ Finebaum ] dude I hope you’re ok. Weren’t you on the 9-3 train last week?

Personally I think the Frogs win next week but let’s say they don’t. Will we get another thread but this time be New Season Starts Today: Get to 7 wins? And then after a trip to Norman NSST: Get Bowl Eligible. While I think that’s the only way to look at things…win every freaking game, we are who and what we are and what we have been for awhile now: a mediocre P5 football team that appears to consistently underperform its talent level and overpay for coaching.

Everybody has their own thoughts, but for me if we lose to this Tech team, even on the road at night, I’ll be done for the year. Not saying I won’t watch, but my “care” will disappear. I understand many of you are already there.

I’m willing to give each TCU team a chance each season against at least a minimum acceptable number of wins I expect… for this team, I had them penciled in for a minimum of 8 and a goal of 10… I think an 8 win team and 9 with the bowl is a good year for Gary, Max, and crew heading into 2022 which shapes up to be a very solid team as well. But if we fall off that pace, I’ll lose all hope unless we suddenly turn things around later this season.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Everybody has their own thoughts, but for me if we lose to this Tech team, even on the road at night, I’ll be done for the year. Not saying I won’t watch, but my “care” will disappear. I understand many of you are already there.

I’m willing to give each TCU team a chance each season against at least a minimum acceptable number of wins I expect… for this team, I had them penciled in for a minimum of 8 and a goal of 10… I think an 8 win team and 9 with the bowl is a good year for Gary, Max, and crew heading into 2022 which shapes up to be a very solid team as well. But if we fall off that pace, I’ll lose all hope unless we suddenly turn things around later this season.
That's a good way to put it: Care.

I, like you, am just terribly disappointed in what looked to be a very promising season. Experience was not going to be a problem. Everyone was familiar with their jobs, positions, and workload. And yet, everything has fallen apart. Again. One reaches a point of "Well, hell! If they're not gonna try, why should I?" And getting around to building that piece of furniture you've been putting off starts looking good again...

Paul in uhh

Things I agree with…..
1) For all our flaws we did look better yesterday.
2) The rest of this league is not that great.

So yes, in theory if we can get/stay fairly healthy and build off of some of the things we improved upon yesterday then some wins could be on the horizon (8 does seem to be a bit of a stretch though).
At this point I feel like 6 is the most realistic but 8 or more is possible if every domino falls our way

Paul in uhh

There is very little hope left for this season. The program is clearly in decline. While some may prefer to keep Gary and hand out participation trophies for good effort it might be better to lose out and force change. This team and especially the coaching staff is not going on any meaningful run to finish with 7-8 wins. The best this team could hope for is 6 and limping to a 500 record will do just enough to pour more gas on this dumpster fire by running it back another year with Gary and his clown show coaching staff.
I wonder how the off-season goes if we finish 5-7

Limey Frog

When the polls come out in a bit we are going to see that our only two losses are to ranked teams. Both of those teams are in the top 10 in the country offensively in point per game.

The big 12 is really down this year. OU is beatable with 4 close wins against mediocre competition. Okie St doesn’t look great and they may be the top team in the conference. Baylor, WVU, TTU and KU are all very beatable.

I think the rest of our games except KU will all be very close games. If the football gods shine on us, we could win 8 games and this would be an acceptable season.

Our fan base needs to drop the lunacy off anything less than a 10 win season is a failure. They are setting themselves up to be disappointed every year and always be negative. I thought we were going to win 10 games this year. If Darius Davis doesn’t fumble twice or that TJ Carter hit stays as called, we probably win and our fan base is thinking we have a chance for 10 wins.

We wait nine months for the season to start. Enjoy it!

Is the Big 12 down and gettable, or is less than ten wins not a failure? Which is it? There's a logical contradiction here.

We have the talent to win this league, and no excuse for doing less than coming close to doing that. It's not "setting yourself up for failure" to expect that squads as talented as ours are only beaten because they were outclassed on the day and not because they weren't ready to play. We do the latter every year lately. It's not good enough, and it doesn't make anyone a good fan to settle for less than this program is capable of. We're not operating at the upper limit of our program's potential.

As for the rest of our season, this is the worst position for a fan to be in. I never want to root against TCU, and I won't. But I have no doubt that if we limp to eight wins TCU football will look exactly like this next year. This is a recipe to become the Cal Bears. I thought we joined this conference to try to push Oklahoma, not mud-wrestle Tech for position in the also-ran pack.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
I totally understand where you are coming from. I just think we struck lightning in a bottle in 14 and 15. I think the last 5 years may be the norm for a school like ours. Hopefully end up between 7-5 and 9-3 most years win a 4-8 and 10-2 every 7 years or so.

What kills me is that I’ve always said “If GP could get the athletes that these other schools have he would dominate”. We have better dudes than all but UT and OU and we consistently finish middle of the pack.

Maybe I’ve just gotten older, but my big thing is that I am going to enjoy the season no matter what our win loss record is. Life is too short to be mad about everything.
2014/15 happened as a result of fresh coaching perspectives when an all new offensive staff replaced stagnant ineffective leadership, the same thing occurred in 2009/10 after Fuente was brought in, frankly it’s time for a entire new staff and for that to happen GP needs to do the right thing and retire

jake102

Wes Harris needs to play. Avila needs to play. Wyatt Harris needs to not play.

I’d consider leaving THT at FS with Daniels and Caesar at CB. It’s fun

netty2424

I don’t share the optimism that this thread is about, so I’ll just share this. Got an IG notification about an hour or so ago for Zach Evan’s going live. Curiosity got the better of me so I clicked.

Two things came out of this:
1. Zach was waiting for someone to bring him his fish. I didn’t stick around very long so I don’t know if he was waiting for someone to bring him dinner, or if this was a euphemism, either way, I saw no fish or anything that might be a little fishy.

2. Zach was wearing a purple “TCU” wristband on one arm and “Football” on the opposite wrist. And he was basically putting it in and out of view in the camera along with the beat of whatever hip hop he was listening to.

He said “man we’re gonna beat Tech” as he was getting excited thinking about it. But quickly stopped himself short and said “I’m not gonna talk ship, but we’re ready for this one!” Paraphrasing, but basically that’s what he said.

He seems really optimistic so I suppose I will be too. At a minimum, we beat the scheiss out if Tech, and ZE gets his fish, be it dinner or some other type of feast.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I don’t share the optimism that this thread is about, so I’ll just share this. Got an IG notification about an hour or so ago for Zach Evan’s going live. Curiosity got the better of me so I clicked.

1. Zach was waiting for someone to bring him his fish. I didn’t stick around very long so I don’t know if he was waiting for someone to bring him dinner, or if this was a euphemism, either way, I saw no fish or anything that might be a little fishy.

2. Zach was wearing a purple “TCU” wristband on one arm and “Football” on the opposite wrist. And he was basically putting it in and out of view in the camera along with the beat of whatever hip hop he was listening to.

He said “man we’re gonna beat Tech” as he was getting excited thinking about it. But quickly stopped himself short and said “I’m not gonna talk ship, but we’re ready for this one!” Paraphrasing, but basically that’s what he said.

He seems really optimistic so I suppose I will be too. At a minimum, we beat the scheiss out if Tech, and ZE gets his fish, be it dinner or some other type of feast.
Wait... Are you telling me that all he needs is a fish? That, if we just be sure to provide him with a tasty fishy-fish prior to a game, then he will be elated, filled with energy, and ready for smoothly zipping through opposing defenses?

(Oh, and, as an aside, are we talking freshwater, or salt? Some folks are awfully particular about that, and I'd hate to get Chilean Sea Bass all grilled up when the desired entree was Rocky Mountain Trout, or a Great Northern Pike.)

We'll need to plan ahead with the caterers and fishmongers in Lubbock. There used to be a really good Sushi joint there, but the owner got arrested for drugs...

Spike

Wait... Are you telling me that all he needs is a fish? That, if we just be sure to provide him with a tasty fishy-fish prior to a game, then he will be elated, filled with energy, and ready for smoothly zipping through opposing defenses?

(Oh, and, as an aside, are we talking freshwater, or salt? Some folks are awfully particular about that, and I'd hate to get Chilean Sea Bass all grilled up when the desired entree was Rocky Mountain Trout, or a Great Northern Pike.)

We'll need to plan ahead with the caterers and fishmongers in Lubbock. There used to be a really good Sushi joint there, but the owner got arrested for drugs...

Didn't Wade Boggs say that he hit better after eating fish for dinner? I always wondered why he didn't just order fish every night.

MBAFrog

Tier 1
I fully understand that TCU will not be a 10+ win team every year. Very few programs have the combination of coaching and recruiting that is needed to maintain 10+ wins every year (Alabama, OU, OSU, Clemson, etc.) TCU does not have, has never had, and never will have that level of recruiting.

I do however expect TCU to be in the running for a conference championship/ NY6 bowl every once in a while (even if we don’t win a championship or be selected for NY6)

As a fan I can accept TCU being mediocre in 2012/2013 because we followed it up with great 2014/2015 seasons. I can accept TCU being mediocre in 2016 because we followed it up with a great 2017 season.

As a fan what I can NOT accept is endless .500 type seasons. We’ve already had three of those in a row, 2018, 2019, 2020. That means in 2021 it’s time for a season where we make a challenge for the conference championship. We have a third year starter at QB. We have a ton of returning starters. It’s time.

You can’t just look at this year in a vacuum. As a fan I need a 2021 season that makes me forgive the previous three seasons. So far I haven’t been impressed, but there is still a lot of season left to play so we will see.

85% of TCU fans are in this camp and have this type of thinking
15% will follow TCU regardless if we have 1 or 2 wins a year

Froggish

This is a league with a lot of ugly football teams. Nobody is elite. Best thing for this team right now is to get out on the road. I think the team focuses better in road games. Especially early in the season. As of late, TCU tends to get better once the expectations has been blown to hell. I suspect you'll see a TCU team that plays better as the season goes on but I'm not sure they are good enough to get to 8.

Moose Stuff

Eight

the frogs simply have to start with one win in lubbock this weeked

doing that requires the defense start making rapid improvement. season is 1/3 of the way over so if people aren't getting the job done time to make some changes,

figure out what you can execute and work from there, but this defense needs to start making basic plays on a a consistent basis

read i don't know how many times on this site about the impact of the targeting call, but still waiting for thoughts on mathis losing containment on thompson and he going for 40+ yards on the very next play. simply make the play in front of you

East Coast

Tier 1
85% of TCU fans are in this camp and have this type of thinking
15% will follow TCU regardless if we have 1 or 2 wins a year
As long as we don't do anything I find morally reprehensible I will always follow TCU. I've already found that I no longer feel down when we lose a football or basketball game; I don't get upset at bad play, and so on. Even last year's run at the end of the season didn't excite me, it felt like we stumbled into all but the LA Tech win.