• The KillerFrogs

New playoff rankings....

LVH

Were we not in their same boat 8 years ago, and snubbed a chance at the title. Granted the Rose bowl was a great consolation prize... Why, as a TCU fan can you not see validity in a team that went 24-0 in the past 2 years, having a shot at the playoffs?

All the arguments about strength of schedule, was the same BS they pulled on us... Next thing you'll be say they don't deserve because of attendance.

Not the same boat. UCF hasn't played a single ranked team this year. The only ranked team they beat last year was Auburn.

At the end of 2009 we had ranked wins over Clemson, Utah and BYU. UCF.... none.

Horny4TCU

You're a complete idiot if you think last year should have any bearing on this years playoff selection
200w.webp

You have to look at last year if a team has a 24-0 record... Part of the body of work. Team is different, duh!

Hypothetically, let's say TCU went undefeated in 2011. New team, new QB, and their only credible win was Boise. So, undefeated in 2010, 2011. Do they deserve a shot, if the playoff is around?

Eight

hypothetically each p5 has an undefeated champion and ucf has their record who is in?

body of work matters and a big part of that is who comprises that body of work

Purp

This Florida State team has never won a national title. If they did, they'd have at least a better argument for their inclusion.

Last year's FSU team, with some different players, won a national title, but that's not particularly relevant to this year.

hmmmm, I forsee some inconsistencies in the committee's reasoning coming up
I'm actually hoping UCF runs the table again and claims another national title like they did last year. Back to back national champs has a certain ring to it that would be a nice middle finger to the committee and the CFP institution.

Wexahu

200w.webp

You have to look at last year if a team has a 24-0 record... Part of the body of work. Team is different, duh!

Hypothetically, let's say TCU went undefeated in 2011. New team, new QB, and their only credible win was Boise. So, undefeated in 2010, 2011. Do they deserve a shot, if the playoff is around?

It would depend on what happened around them, but very most likely no, they wouldn't deserve a shot if it was only a 4-team format. If it's a very odd year where there is a ton of parity and there are very few undefeated or one-loss teams, possibly. But generally you shouldn't make the playoffs playing a G5 schedule without very high quality OOC wins.

Whenever someone asks if a certain record or certain resume should get in, you always have to know what its being compared to to know the answer. Some years an 11-1 Notre Dame team will be a sure thing. Other years, like this one, an 11-1 Notre Dame team would basically be eliminated.

Wexahu

I'm actually hoping UCF runs the table again and claims another national title like they did last year. Back to back national champs has a certain ring to it that would be a nice middle finger to the committee and the CFP institution.

Part of me wishes they could get in at #4 and play Alabama in the semi's. That game would most likely be over by halftime and it would forever shut UCF up and make the current national championship they are claiming look like the absolute joke it is.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
I expect Northwestern to emulate 2014's Wisconsin's team that laid down like dogs against tOSU in their conference championship game. Expect Urban to pile on every point possible.

The fact that an utter crap team like Northwestern (or Pitt) is in any conference championship game shows how out of balance large conferences can be.

It will never happen, but my pipe dream would be for OU and tOSU to both win big, Alabama and Clemson holding serve and ND gets dropped to fifth (or sixth) because 1) no 13th data point and 2) not a conference champion. Tell them to join a conference or get left out. They could join any conference they want. Put them in the BiG Western division, move a spare West team to the East and kick Rutgers to the curb. Many problems solved, but way too logical to happen.

Wexahu

I expect Northwestern to emulate 2014's Wisconsin's team that laid down like dogs against tOSU in their conference championship game. Expect Urban to pile on every point possible.

The fact that an utter crap team like Northwestern (or Pitt) is in any conference championship game shows how out of balance large conferences can be.

It will never happen, but my pipe dream would be for OU and tOSU to both win big, Alabama and Clemson holding serve and ND gets dropped to fifth (or sixth) because 1) no 13th data point and 2) not a conference champion. Tell them to join a conference or get left out. They could join any conference they want. Put them in the BiG Western division, move a spare West team to the East and kick Rutgers to the curb. Many problems solved, but way too logical to happen.

So basically you are saying before the season starts Notre Dame should be eliminated from consideration. Well, OK, but that's pretty dumb. By not joining a conference ND has basically put themselves in a position where in most years they don't get a mulligan like everyone else has. If that's the way they want to roll, so be it. If they go undefeated, with the schedule they play in which is almost pretty competitive and never includes any FCS teams, good on them IMO.

CountryFrog

I get it, but the regular season would be gutted if everything came down to CCGs. One of the great things about college football (especially compared to basketball) is that every game that the highest ranked teams play is critical. Some of these teams would clinch spots in their CCGs with several weeks to go, rendering the rest of the their games kind of meaningless.

It's just really hard to come up with a college football system that 1) maintains the importance of the regular season schedule, 2) wouldn't require a reduction in the number of regular season games and 3) wouldn't require some sort of subjective human element in picking teams. In fact, it's almost impossible with 100+ teams that play only 12 games/year. Everything throws out the fact that Division II and III manage to make it work but they only play 10 games. I don't think many of the 100+ programs would be willing to give up two games (or even one game for that matter) to expand the playoffs another week or two.
Good God man. You have never sounded like a bigger pimp for the playoff committee than you do today. Literally every other sport and every other level of football have figured it out. But we're supposed to believe D1 college football is sooooo unique that it simply can't be done there.

Eight

Good God man. You have never sounded like a bigger pimp for the playoff committee than you do today. Literally every other sport and every other level of football have figured it out. But we're supposed to believe D1 college football is sooooo unique that it simply can't be done there.

hey, hey, hey.......stop focusing on what actually is happening in college football and you should instead be focused on what MIGHT happen.

if we were to add automatic bids that MIGHT render the regular season worthless. could you possibly imagine a rivalry game like the apple cap actually not mattering to 99% of the country outside the state of washington?

oh wait, instead of that game mattering in regards to uw winning the pac and possibly earning that auto bid the game had no impact and for the second season in a row the pac was basically out of the cfp 2/3 of the way through the season.

damn shame what MIGHT happen gets more concern from people that what does happen

Zubaz

I think it's more recognizing that there is a trade-off. Yes, most other sports have a tournament at the end of the year to determine a champion, but at the same time, those other sports don't have the ratings or attendance that football does...especially at the minor league level. And it's near universally recognized that college football has the most intriguing regular season in all of sports, in no small part due to the exclusivity of the post-season and the razor-thin margins that separate everyone, making every single game crucial. College basketball's regular season rankings aren't anything special before the tournament, college baseball is a nothing sport before the CWS, it's only once you get to the postseason that anyone cares about either of them really. In football specifically, we already see in the NFL what happens once a team locks up their playoff position, it's not hard to argue that you would see a diminished regular season. Heck, we already saw that last year when Miami knew the ACC title game was a play-in game for the CFP so they rested against Pitt.

I mean, if that's a tradeoff that you are comfortable with, that's totally a case that can be made. You can very much argue that it's better to make sure that everyone deserving is included in the postseason, even if it harms the regular season. I'm not sure you can say that it's a hypothetical though, it's a certainty.

Eight

I think it's more recognizing that there is a trade-off. Yes, most other sports have a tournament at the end of the year to determine a champion, but at the same time, those other sports don't have the ratings or attendance that football does...especially at the minor league level. And it's near universally recognized that college football has the most intriguing regular season in all of sports, in no small part due to the exclusivity of the post-season and the razor-thin margins that separate everyone, making every single game crucial. College basketball's regular season rankings aren't anything special before the tournament, college baseball is a nothing sport before the CWS, it's only once you get to the postseason that anyone cares about either of them really. In football specifically, we already see in the NFL what happens once a team locks up their playoff position, it's not hard to argue that you would see a diminished regular season. Heck, we already saw that last year when Miami knew the ACC title game was a play-in game for the CFP so they rested against Pitt.

I mean, if that's a tradeoff that you are comfortable with, that's totally a case that can be made. You can very much argue that it's better to make sure that everyone deserving is included in the postseason, even if it harms the regular season. I'm not sure you can say that it's a hypothetical though, it's a certainty.

you keep ignoring the fact under the current system we already do see diminished regular seasons in the pac the past two years and end of the season games that could have mattered only carried regional interest.

in regards to resting we also already see that from the sec with the late season throw away games so what changes from what we already see in the college game today?

Wexahu

The playoff committee has no say in what the format is. I defend the committee because they've done a good job of doing what they are supposed to do. I'd be perfectly fine with another format as long as it doesn't dilute the regular season or result in fewer games (I don't want to give up a game in September every year for the odd chance we make a playoff every blue moon). If the powers that be can make that happen, great, I'm all in. But until that happens I'm not going to pretend like the committee is made up of a bunch of biased, lying, scheming buffoons like everyone else seems to do....because that's just a bunch of whining and noise for when people don't get their way.

CountryFrog

Why do you think that the playoff system in college football is part of what makes the ratings of college football so high? We were told that expanding the playoff to 4 teams would be a detriment to the regular season but it hasn't. Why would expanding to 8 be a detriment? How is giving MORE teams a chance, thereby making MORE games meaningful a bad thing? How is adding an extra round of playoff games that will be bigger than anything going on before that be something that turns people away?

It's real easy to say college football is so popular so why change anything but making the system better seems more likely to make the sport even MORE popular than it already is. As popular as college football is, it doesn't even come close to the NFL. So I'm not sure how putting in a playoff system that is more like the NFL would somehow be a bad thing.

Wexahu

Why do you think that the playoff system in college football is part of what makes the ratings of college football so high? We were told that expanding the playoff to 4 teams would be a detriment to the regular season but it hasn't. Why would expanding to 8 be a detriment? How is giving MORE teams a chance, thereby making MORE games meaningful a bad thing? How is adding an extra round of playoff games that will be bigger than anything going on before that be something that turns people away?

It's real easy to say college football is so popular so why change anything but making the system better seems more likely to make the sport even MORE popular than it already is. As popular as college football is, it doesn't even come close to the NFL. So I'm not sure how putting in a playoff system that is more like the NFL would somehow be a bad thing.

The last two teams already play up to 15 games in a season. Not long ago it was 12. How many more are you willing to go? There's already the thought that college football players are used up and spit out by the universities to make money, would adding another round or two of games be yet another talking point? Do we start paying the players of teams that advance and play the additional games? What would you be willing to give up to add more teams, because something is probably going to need to traded off.

I just think there's way more to this than just saying man, this system sucks because more teams don't get a chance. When in reality every team has a chance, its just a really high bar.