• The KillerFrogs

New column from ESPN's Richard Durrett

Long Time Fan

Long Time Fan
Incredible article. I think we all had a sense of how TCU was received in the recruiting game before and how things have changed, but to see this reported and confirmed is eye opening. Just shows what a fantastic job the TCU coaching staff, athletic directors, administration, and board have done over the past 13 years. For Patterson to achieve so much success without being received well by Tx High Schools and top recruits in the past show what great coaches we have. I'm also glad the staff will not change the "intangibles" they look for in a recruit. That "Frog Factor" if you will.

If we can follow up the success of 2009 and 2010 with another 10+ win season and if we can make another BCS game (beating BSU: I don't think we will have to be undefeated to make a BCS game as the ACC and Big East will likely be ranked lower than us with one loss) then this thing will be the monster Patterson and Fran always envisioned.

Is this fun or what?

Tank Carder, the hero of the Rose Bowl, returns in 2011 for his senior season after deciding not to come out early for the NFL draft. TCU was the only FBS school to offer Carder a scholarship.

In hindsight, it's almost impossible to believe he had no offers. That's the brilliance of this staff. They saw something nobody else saw. I remember the reports about how he was the star of that high school all-star game at Amon Carter, yet nobody had recruited him.

Trelvis

[font="Verdana]
[/font][/color]
[color="#333333"][font="Verdana]In hindsight, it's almost impossible to believe he had no offers. That's the brilliance of this staff. They saw something nobody else saw.[/font]

Co-sign x1000!!

Its crazy to think Tank had no other offers. Even crazier to think about how good these coaches are at evaluating talent.

Houston Frog

[font="Verdana]In hindsight, it's almost impossible to believe he had no offers. That's the brilliance of this staff. They saw something nobody else saw. I remember the reports about how he was the star of that high school all-star game at Amon Carter, yet nobody had recruited him.[/font]

Yep, and the talk on the A&M boards (among others) the next day was, "who the hell is Tank Carder and how come we had never heard of him before last night?"

Gunner

Keeping a staff together, knowing what the head man wants, so many factors involved. GP likes playmakers more than someone fitting size and weight..

TCU does make mistakes from time to time. But the amazing thing is, how really great some of these nobodies turn out...Tank, Hughes, Kirkpatrick, Daniels.... and just recently, Dawson, McCoy....

There have been so many great ones come thru TCU in recent years.

Houston Frog

Keeping a staff together, knowing what the head man wants, so many factors involved. GP likes playmakers more than someone fitting size and weight..

TCU does make mistakes from time to time. But the amazing thing is, how really great some of these nobodies turn out...Tank, Hughes, Kirkpatrick, Daniels.... and just recently, Dawson, McCoy....

There have been so many great ones come thru TCU in recent years.

Greg McCoy had a bunch of offers coming out of HS.... Iowa, Arizona, Baylor, SMU (among others)

Houston Frog

Dawson and McCoy are good players not great yet. They both had some offers out of high school.

Skye was planning on running track at some small school in Arkansas until he got a call from CGP a couple months after national signing day, asking if he wanted a full ride to play football at TCU.

I'm pretty positive he didn't have any FBS offers

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
In today's Austin American Statesman,Suzanne Halliburton has a column reviewing the "Fab 55" recruits from 2006. It was a mixed report card on how valuable they turned out to be come 2010. i will not quote the article, only summarize in my own words:

Of the four first round NFL picks, only one -- Stafford (QB from GA) -- was on the Statesman's 2006 list of the top 55.

TCU's Jerry Hughes wasn't a member (along with Okung, and Crabtree).

Of her Top Ten recruits based on their productivity and value as of 2010, TCU's Hughes was her No. 4 pick, and Andy Dalton was her No. 6. Sergio Kindle was her No 5 ...and the only Longhorn in the ten.

While Sergio kindle (No. 1 on the original 55 listing) produced well, the column noted some not-so-hot UT choices that never panned out, at least, for Texas: Eddie Jones (3),Deon Beasley(4),J'Marcos Webb(8),Jevan Sneed(11),Jared Norton (15), Phillip Payne (18), Vondrell McGee (21), Dustin Earnest (23), Brian Ellis (24)James Henry (26), and Buck Burnette (48).

At all schools, only 22 of the "Fab" 55 completed four seasons at the same university.

I suppose it could be an indictment of The AAS's ability to judge talent without shading their choices to fit UT's picks, or (more likely) an indictment of anybody's fans relying on "experts" to rate your school's picks.

As GP likes to say about them at this stage in the proceedings, is that they are all "paper tigers" until they prove it over time on the field. I'll trust him to know...after all he's twice as effective at spotting true talent than the vaunted UT staff, even according to their own hometown scribes.

LVfrog

Nice article Richard. Keep up the good work.

Our staff is as good at evaluating talent as any i have ever seen.

FrogCoach84

Skye verbaled to Harding University in Searcy, Arkansas. Division 2 school.

He ran at the TCU Invitational meet that spring and blew away a kid from Duncanville that was a top track recruit in the country.

That 100M run is what landed him at TCU. Credit to the staff for keeping their eyes open.