• The KillerFrogs

Nebraska booted from AAU

froginaustin

Harvey Perlman surely must understand, because a university must pull its weight to get to participate with the big boys and get a share of the big boy action. :laugh:

http://journalstar.com/news/local/education/article_d9eca939-b681-535d-ad1a-a98d9ef3b01e.html?utm_campaign=ljtweet&utm_source=ljtweet&utm_medium=ljtweet

Research universities group ends UNL's membership

By KEVIN ABOUREZK / Lincoln Journal Star | Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 7:25 pm | (52) Comments

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln, after 102 years' membership in the Association of American Universities, has been given the boot by the association of 63 top research universities.

The AAU members voted this month to end UNL's membership based on its inability to meet certain requirements, Chancellor Harvey Perlman said in an email to faculty and staff Friday.

. . ..

Limey Frog

101998510_crop_340x234.jpg

homer-simpson-doh.gif

froginaustin

Is this serious?
Hell, yes!

It was also reported in the Huffington Post. :biggrin:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/29/university-of-nebraska-li_n_855730.html

At least two thirds of the 63-member organization decided that after more than 100 years of membership, the university should no longer be numbered amongst the distinguished institutions in the AAU. This marks the first time an institution has been asked to leave the group.

University Chancellor Harvey Perlman told faculty members in an email sent out Friday that the association’s evaluative metric is biased against institutions like UNL [ :laugh: ], according to the Omaha World-Herald: “I had hoped our extraordinary accomplishments and steep trajectory would have made us less vulnerable, but the AAU's approach to the review made this result inevitable," he said.

He explained that the university has been ranked lowest of all the AAU schools since 2000 . . ..

joejordan

More hypocrisy from the 'haves'. This "boot" had to have been years in the making, with multiple opportunities to get back in line.

I wonder if landing marginal academic recruits in athletics is a consideration for AAU. Big Red may see that as their only path to regain national prominence in the powerful conference of the Big 10, what with Mishy, IOUer, Tattoo State, Who's yer, [ Finebaum ]ue, Sparty, You Betcha U, and the recently, utterly humiliated stinkin' Badges.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
More hypocrisy from the 'haves'. This "boot" had to have been years in the making, with multiple opportunities to get back in line.

I wonder if landing marginal academic recruits in athletics is a consideration for AAU. Big Red may see that as their only path to regain national prominence in the powerful conference of the Big 10, what with Mishy, IOUer, Tattoo State, Who's yer, [ Finebaum ]ue, Sparty, You Betcha U, and the recently, utterly humiliated stinkin' Badges.

AAU membership not based upon academic rankings but rather on research output. Doubt landing "marginal recruits" had any effect on their research programs.

halfwaytoheaven

For those who are confused, this is the Association of American Universities, a consortium of the top research institutions in the country, not the Amateur Athletic Union, which is so prominent in basketball recruiting. This has nothing to do with sports, although being an AAU member didn't hurt when Nebraska was trying to get into the Big Ten. But everyone knew there was a chance this would happen, so I doubt those guys really cared. Of course, it still doesn't look good for Pearlman that the school lost this distinction, which it had held for around a century, on his watch. I'll go tune up the world's tiniest violin so I can play a sad, weepy tune just for him.

Part of Nebraska's problem here was that a large part of their research (literally, their bread and butter) is funded by the USDA, which the AAU doesn't count because it comes in "non-competitive" grants. Also, their medical school is a separate institution and they can't use those numbers, either. Also, the AAU leadership has been on a bit of a purge lately, and a number of marginal members are definitely looking over their shoulders.

But as a member of the Big 10, Nebraska gets to join the CIC, its academic wing, which is probably better than being in the AAU. Basically, all Big 10 members, plus former member the University of Chicago, agree to share research resources. Nebraska will weather this one okay, I think.

TCUFrogs

It looks bad for them to lose it.

But remember glass houses. AAU is based on research and size helps. TCU being a small, private school is not in there in the first place.

froginaustin

It looks bad for them to lose it.

But remember glass houses. AAU is based on research and size helps. TCU being a small, private school is not in there in the first place.
So long as it embarrasses Harvey Perlman, It's OK with me.

We don't live in a glass house with respect to the AAU. Being a part of that organization is not part of TCU's mission, and it is part of Nebraska's (and UTx's and aTm's). Nothing against UN as an institution, but as mentioned above, I'm happy to see Perlman embarrassed, just as I am happy to see Gordon Gee embarrassed, and for the same reasons.

halfwaytoheaven

It must not really matter. How many of us decided on TCU vs. any random AAU school. Ok...Shivas and Duq.

lol

It doesn't affect undergraduate choices directly, but it might impair Nebraska's ability to attract and retain faculty at the highest levels, which might affect what kind of students decide to study there. But, again, joining the CIC should more than make up for that. The AAU is mostly just prestige; the CIC has tangible benefits.