• The KillerFrogs

My Time on the Team

illini_frog

I'm starting this thread in hopes that the football office is ok with it, and I won't be saying anything to tip off Baylor. If anything in here is objectionable please let me know and it'll be gone ASAP.

The last 2 weeks I had to privilege to be a member of the TCU Football team, as a walk-on, hoping to make the final roster, and maybe someday actually seeing the field in a real game. Unfortunately, I was (along with many others) cut this morning, but I just wanted to share a few things with y'all. Again, I know a lot of things that I can't share, but I'll say what I think is good.

1) Our practices are intense. Think about when you're running late in the morning, and just getting everything done as fast as possible, that's what every second of every practice is like. Absolutely no time is wasted. We get a ton of reps in in a short amount of time.

2) The guys are focused. The coaches keep them that way, but there's a sense of duty in everyone, if that makes sense.

3) Coach GP is the man. He's the craziest guy I've ever seen during practice, and yells and cusses an ungodly amount. But after practice, we all take a knee, and he just talks to us like we're his sons or something. He tells us about how glad he is to be coach, how much he appreciates our effort, stuff like that. He's a guy I'd go to battle for any day of the week. And the same goes for the rest of the coaches.

4) Also, the training staff works unbelievably hard. From taping our ankles to running us water all practice, they work their asses off. Just wanted to note that so everybody recognizes them.

5) Practicing at Cowboys stadium was pretty awesome. It was a great change of pace for us.

That's really all I want to say, as to not give Baylor any possible help. If anybody has a specific Q, post it on here and I'll do my best to answer.

It'll be fun to watch the games, and know what plays we'll run in certain situations. I'm already enough of a football strategy junkie, and this just added gas to the fire.

It was an awesome experience, and one of the coolest things I've done in my life. No regrets.

HFrog1999

Congratulations on having the balls and the guts to try and walk on. It's something I never had the courage to do. No matter what, at least you can say you tried. That's more than most will ever do.

Gunner

Have attended a bunch of practices over the last 10 years..Have never heard GP cuss a single time. Raise cane, yea, but not cussing. That's Mike Leatch.

ricksterh

Can you tell us about who the guys are that run the scout team plays preparing the team during the week for the team the team will play that week? Are these guys redshirts, walkons etc? I am also impressed with the walkon program TCU has and what many of thes players do to help the team both in practice and even in the games. Thanks for your efforts. :biggrin:

illini_frog

Have attended a bunch of practices over the last 10 years..Have never heard GP cuss a single time. Raise cane, yea, but not cussing. That's Mike Leatch.

Don't know what GP you're talking about. But Gary Patterson does not hold back on the language, nor do I think he should. Nobody really minds it.

Stansly (big surprise) was the hardest, but I thought Ross Forrest was pretty good. Never got much of an opportunity to go against Braylon. Ross put me on my [Craig James] really good one time though.

Rickster. It's mostly redshirts, walk-ons, and then the benchwarming upperclassmen (for lack of a nicer term) that run scout team.

SoonerBredCD

I've been to a lot of practices over the past 3 years, and you're wrong. I know many past and present players, including one who just happens to be a blood relative who would also tell you you're wrong. But then, you're wrong about a lot of stuff you post here. No surprise.

Young and Horned

One of my bigger regrets is not trying out for TCU back in 2002. I was good in high school, but never thought I was good enough to play college. Still pisses me off some times.

Awesome of you to give it a go Illini. You can always train and bust your butt and give it a go next year.

allclearforfrogs

What planet are you from?

Several times while I was in school I would walk by the practice field fence and hear him cussing up a storm. A couple of times, when the players huddle around him at half time, the radio and T.V. mics accidentally picked up some of the stuff he was saying and had to try to bleep in out and apologize.

Raw Frog

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...
than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy or suffer much, because they live in a gray
twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-------- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for your efforts and for sharing.

West Coast Johnny

I believe it was halftime of the New Mexico game last year. Gary didn't think twice about cussing out his team on national television no less. I had to hold my sons ears.