• The KillerFrogs

My thoughts on the Patterson / A&M smoke

CountryFrog

Maybe we have a giant semantics argument here. What constitutes "close to leaving" or "seriously considering" in this discussion? To me, anything short of talking actual contract details with someone else can't be considered close to leaving.

I don't know that anyone disputes that GP thinks about other job opportunities. Who doesn't? I'm sure he thinks about many jobs every off-season. It's even worth having a family discussion from time to time about really good opportunities. That doesn't mean he was close to leaving, though.

The Jimbo Fisher thing is interesting because there are certainly lots of ags out there who believe A&M has had him locked up for a while. Obviously, those rumors AND the Patterson rumors can't both be true, so there are a lot of people spreading gossip who have very little knowledge about what's actually going on.

flyfishingfrog

To be fair to Maniac and Moose and everyone else with an opinion - I would say that each persons perspective on what constitutes a “serious consideration” exactly means is probably different and only GMFP truly knows his level of interest

Is listening to RC give his pitch based on mutual respect and friendship “smoke”?
Or is asking detailed questions like how much, how long, what about my staff, how much control, what other responsibilities, etc considered serious?
Or does GMFP have to ask for a follow up discussion or get on a plane or have BMD’s get on a plane to FtW for it to be serious?
Or do we require something in writing to begin negotiations for it to be smoke?

If someone offers you a serious raise at a place you consider a competitor to your company, I would say confidently any sane person would listen, ask some questions and think about it - so if that is what you consider some smoke from GMFP then we probably had smoke.

If it takes having some detailed contractual negotiations or a verbal comment that he would be interested in the position based a defined set of terms - I doubt there was smoke on GMFP’s end.

tcumaniac

Haha it was a joke since Maniac always whines about being an avg Joe who got screwed by the +4. Now he’s claiming to have big time insider info.

I didn't take offense at your previous comment, but I just wanted to clarify that this really isn't my battle cry. I was a student when this all went down. I wasn't one of the many people that got pushed to worse seats while their previous seat locations were getting taken up just to go unused or be sold on stubhub.

I personally love my tickets and got really lucky during the upgrade process with some lower tickets in 234 opening up. My complaints aren't some personal vendetta I have against TCU for screwing me... they're complaints regarding things that I feel are hurting our overall atmosphere and the majority of our season ticket holders that could all have better seats if so many seats weren't unnecessarily being hoarded up for resale. #endrant.

Boomhauer

I’m not looking to get into a pissing match here but I’d bet my life that the people who I spoke to on Saturday knew what they were talking about. They weren’t friends of a friend, or someone’s dad, or a trustee/donor. Now, if you want to accuse people who make a [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]load of money as prominent members of our athletic department of lying to me then go ahead.

xgz9nkR.gif

Moose Stuff

I edited my post to say "not true" vs "blatant lie." Wasn't trying to accuse Moose of being a liar... just a careless use of wording. But him saying that there was no smoke simply isn't true.

I don't think Moose is lying. I'm just saying he's not right. And yes Moose. I don't think you were told the entire truth.

By no mean was Patterson packing up his bags and starting to look at homes in College Station, but his interest in the A&M position was far more serious than a "I'm just going to use this to get a raise for me and my coaches."

Moose will continue to get all the likes because he's selling the narrative we all want to hear, but it's just not true. And that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. To consider other opportunities is only human and to be expected.

In his heart of hearts, I don't think GP ever fully thought he'd leave TCU... but the opening at A&M and the opportunity to coach in the SEC where defenses get more respect was something that genuinely intrigued him and was something he very much considered. At the end of the day, Gary and Kelsey decided that staying at TCU was still the best option and that's something we should be very proud of. But to act as if Gary never genuinely considered the opportunity simply isn't true.

If this is what you believe then I’m not gonna argue with you . But you’re accusing two very prominent members of our athletic department of separately telling me the exact same lie. Odds seem to be against that but what the hell do I know.

Edit - let me also say that it seems entirely plausible that the person/people you got your info from and the people I got my info from both have the exact same info but presented it to the both of us in polar opposite ways.

Last edited:

BABYFACE

Maniac,

Look at this way. GP signed a two year extension into 2024. None of the speculation shatt matters. Staying at TCU does and that is what counts.

tcumaniac

If this is what you believe then I’m not gonna argue with you . But you’re accusing two very prominent members of our athletic department of separately telling me the exact same lie. Odds seem to be against that but what the hell do I know.

Edit - let me also say that it seems entirely plausible that the person/people you got your info from and the people I got my info from both have the exact same info but presented it to the both of us in polar opposite ways.

Assuming what I'm saying is true, I'd argue that no "prominent member" of our athletic department is going to go out of his way tell you, "Yeah Moose... GP had us sweating bullets for a little bit there. Glad we were able to talk him out of being an Aggy."

It's much easier to dismiss the entire thing and sell the angle of "Gary loves TCU and thinks it's the best place in the world and never actually considered leaving."

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

Assuming what I'm saying is true, I'd argue that no "prominent member" of our athletic department is going to go out of his way tell you, "Yeah Moose... GP had us sweating bullets for a little bit there. Glad we were able to talk him out of being an Aggy."

It's much easier to dismiss the entire thing and sell the angle of "Gary loves TCU and thinks it's the best place in the world and never actually considered leaving.

These are friends of mine that I’ve known for a long time. They weren’t going out of their way to tell me anything. They’ve never sugarcoated TCU related news to me before so I can’t come up with one reason why they’d do it here. That’s all I’ve got to say on the matter. And honestly since neither of our sources is Gary Patterson it’s doubtful either of us will ever know for sure what actually happened.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Ye cats! It isn't terribly complicated. GMFP was pitched an opportunity by an old friend. RC probably knows the situation down there better than anyone, having been fired hissownself, and GMFP also keeps in touch with Fran, who has intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the sausage-maker in College Station. Both men were likely sources, in addition to Hyman, who would know quite a bit about booster pressure.

GMFP would be a fool not to listen to people who are waving great wads of cash at him, and I'm sure he took their pitch quite seriously. For as much as we disdain A&M, it has it's attractions for a Coach, and I'm sure that these strengths were emphasized. However, it has powerful drawbacks as well, and those are hard to dismiss when considering such a huge life change as leaving the place he has built up to such a lofty state.

Be glad that TCU is still considered a worthy place by GMFP. May he always think so.