• The KillerFrogs

MSN: Big 12 Reportedly Considering Merger With Another Conference

Paul in uhh

With all the blue bloods teaming up someone has to lose on the field which means some of these programs will not be too happy.
I keep having the same thought as well. At some point wins and losses matter don’t they? What are UT fans gonna wipe their tears away with after getting waxed by Bama and LSU? $20M dollars in the athletic department?

our athletic department may have been a lot less wealthy in the MWC days but damn it was fun winning 10-12 games every year.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
you are talking about a fan base that still refuses to admit the lhn has been a failure, they got played by espn in the creation of the network, and it was their actions in creating the network that lead to nebraska, cu, mizzou, and atm leaving the big 12
I think on another thread I posited that UT is "almost as bad as BYU." The more I think about that...

Eight

I keep having the same thought as well. At some point wins and losses matter don’t they? What are UT fans gonna wipe their tears away with after getting waxed by Bama and LSU? $20M dollars in the athletic department?

our athletic department may have been a lot less wealthy in the MWC days but damn it was fun winning 10-12 games every year.

texas fans don't see that right now. it is all gas and no brakes because they have the right coach, they are going to be free of the parasites in the big 12 that have kept them shackled all these years, and they have made the decision to do what is needed to win just like bama etc.....

sounds similar to the blue chip kid who signs with one of these programs who already has 4 guys with a similar pedigree ahead of them on the depth chart, but they are going to be able to make that jump

flyfishingfrog

I would think that this would or could be considered an antitrust violation in the world of college football. Good lawyers could make that case.
There are literally hundreds of places to play college football - not even close to anti-trust implications

if mlb, nfl, nba, etc operate in more restrictive environments and we already have multiple levels of college football plus the playoffs were not considered anti-trust - why would forming another layer - elite league or not - be anti-trust?

Last edited:

ECM

If you guys want a laugh, go to Baylor boards and read their fans thinking they have a shot at the Pac-12.

All the have not teams need to join together and refuse to play the fake elite super league. The super league teams can play with themselves only. All those big alumni fans stadiums will love their teams losing every game each season some going under 500 several 500 teams a few with winning records maybe 1 or 2 undefeated then one champion each year. The have nots have way more fans alumni ratings that’s the halves. We could break those greedy arrogant asshats if we could stick together. Who keeps arrangements with bowl games? Rose pac 12 big ten leftovers? Have nots same with cotton etc. our larger conference could have a much larger play off with G 5 teams invited and a March madness style tournament for a teal national championship.

Which teams will get left out of top 24 or 32 greedy [ "illegitimate Baylor boy" ] conference?

Michigan
Penn State
Stanford
Cal Berkley
Florida state
Miami
Georgia Tech
South Carolina
???

Enough great teams could get dropped from sec, ACC, big 10, pac 12, and our big 12 that arguably we could have a broader deeper conference. Cut a deal with G-5 teams and cut out greedy [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ] from playing any of us out of conference period.

flyfishingfrog

They will find that all those "little schools" they regularly beat, and thus have disdain for, do indeed have value: They provide easy wins that keep the Big Programs viable. No one cares about a 5-6 tOSU, and they certainly won't care about 2-8 UT.

It's the tale of Hubris and Nemesis all over again. Unsurprising that this would be the case, as no teaches Western Civ anymore, but refreshing to see a familiar pattern repeating itself all the same...
All the have not teams need to join together and refuse to play the fake elite super league. The super league teams can play with themselves only. All those big alumni fans stadiums will love their teams losing every game each season some going under 500 several 500 teams a few with winning records maybe 1 or 2 undefeated then one champion each year. The have nots have way more fans alumni ratings that’s the halves. We could break those greedy arrogant asshats if we could stick together. Who keeps arrangements with bowl games? Rose pac 12 big ten leftovers? Have nots same with cotton etc. our larger conference could have a much larger play off with G 5 teams invited and a March madness style tournament for a teal national championship.

Which teams will get left out of top 24 or 32 greedy [ "illegitimate Baylor boy" ] conference?

Michigan
Penn State
Stanford
Cal Berkley
Florida state
Miami
Georgia Tech
South Carolina
???

Enough great teams could get dropped from sec, ACC, big 10, pac 12, and our big 12 that arguably we could have a broader deeper conference. Cut a deal with G-5 teams and cut out greedy [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ] from playing any of us out of conference period.
so you think NFL teams and their fans are unhappy they don’t get to play CFL teams or there is no USFL to pad their wins?

feel like many of our fans don’t get that this won’t be the old college football paradigm anymore

it will be the NFL where you win you division or you don’t go to the playoffs- not hey we beat up SMU and Cal to get to 11 wins and a top 10 ranking in the polls

Last edited:

Frozen Frog

If it is 32 or even 48 teams in a Super structure then all bets are off on who is still involved. It probably starts with the Big Ten/SEC dropping a few schools and back filling the openings. I think a few schools would just relinquish their spots. The arms race makes no sense to them, and they know trying to compete would be futile. The money for the the super conference would be immense, but there would be a ton of options for the schools left out of it. FCS would likely benefit some from it. I also think there could be a something between the super conference and FCS that would be really intriguing if the conferences were more regional with like-minded schools.

HG73

Here's some attendance information for you from 2018:
PAC
UW 69
WS 30
UO 53
OS 35
ST 38
CAL 43. 4 teams over 50k
USC 55
UCLA 51
AZ 45
ASU 49
UT 46
CO 46

Late 8
WV 58
IS 56
KA 19 No this is not a misprint
KS 50
OS 54
TT 56. 5 teams over 50k
TC 43
B. 41

Both PAC and Late 8 average 47k per game. TV contract for Late 8 would not be so bad. PAC would be wise to partner in some way with Late 8.

Longhorn from Aledo

The more I think about it, the AAC is better than the Pac. The Pac is a [ Finebaum ] of a conference. Look, there are 8 teams in the AAC and 8 remaining in the B12. That's a total of 16. As long as there is an auto bid for this conference then it will be the same as the Pac.

HG73

The more I think about it, the AAC is better than the Pac. The Pac is a [ #2020 ] of a conference. Look, there are 8 teams in the AAC and 8 remaining in the B12. That's a total of 16. As long as there is an auto bid for this conference then it will be the same as the Pac.
I don't think so. Give me the PAC. If they don't take us then ad one to the Late 8 and move on.

HG73

Here's some attendance information for you from 2018:
PAC
UW 69
WS 30
UO 53
OS 35
ST 38
CAL 43. 4 teams over 50k
USC 55
UCLA 51
AZ 45
ASU 49
UT 46
CO 46

Late 8
WV 58
IS 56
KA 19 No this is not a misprint
KS 50
OS 54
TT 56. 5 teams over 50k
TC 43
B. 41

Both PAC and Late 8 average 47k per game. TV contract for Late 8 would not be so bad. PAC would be wise to partner in some way with Late 8.
I just ran 2019 average attendance: PAC 46K, ACC 48K, LATE 8 50K. This conference would get a good TV contract.

Paint It Purple

S10191_full_1.jpg
This would be terrific, but these days I’m afraid more male members of the band than females, would want to wear this uniform.

JogginFrog

Still want the PAC after the Big 10 poaches USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington? Actually, that might be what it takes to get a group to merge with the Late 8. Arizona, AZ State, Colorado and Utah would be good additions with a reasonable footprint. I guess Stanford and Cal could come along, for the SFO market, but Oregon State and Washington State may cost more than they contribute.

Hemingway

Still want the PAC after the Big 10 poaches USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington? Actually, that might be what it takes to get a group to merge with the Late 8. Arizona, AZ State, Colorado and Utah would be good additions with a reasonable footprint. I guess Stanford and Cal could come along, for the SFO market, but Oregon State and Washington State may cost more than they contribute.

has the world gone mad?