• The KillerFrogs

Memphis

Every time the mention of conference expansion comes up on here then it becomes crystal clear which people have an understanding of how the business of major college athletics works and which people are totally clueless.

The business of how major college athletics works is the very reason why I didn't renew football tickets after 14 years. It's the reason why I watched the least amount of football in at least 20 years. It's one reason why stadiums are seeing more empty seats with each passing year. I'm all for striking while the iron is hot but it's ruining a great American institution.

CountryFrog

The business of how major college athletics works is the very reason why I didn't renew football tickets after 14 years. It's the reason why I watched the least amount of football in at least 20 years. It's one reason why stadiums are seeing more empty seats with each passing year. I'm all for striking while the iron is hot but it's ruining a great American institution.
Yea I'm certainly not saying that the business is a positive thing that we should all be thrilled about. But also no point in acting as if it doesn't exist.

82 Frog Fever

It doesn’t really matter how good or bad a school like Memphis (non-P5) plays right now. It matters whether or not they would grow the conference fan base ratings, or if they would add money to the conference pie. The B12 already said they didn’t.
....and until P5 media rights contracts begin to expire in 2024, there probably isn’t much chance a P5 school would consider moving either.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
The other 9 schools in the conference (OU included) are there because we all want to be with Texas. The conference didn’t expand 2 years ago because Texas didn’t want to. They like owning the conference. They like putting the Women’s Volleyball team on a bus to Waco instead of a flight to Pullman,Washington or Ann Arbor, Michigan. They like being able to have the revenue of an SEC or Big 10 school and the rest of us are fine with making equivilent or more $ with ACC, and PAC 12. OU is in the playoff year after year. Is A&M or Ark or Auburn or Nebraska or USC ? It doesn’t matter how many games Memphis or Az St won this year or how deserving UCF is. We are all at the mercy of (and using) UT. As long as UT has the kind of revenue they can demand, they have a lot of great reasons to maintain the status quo and so do the rest of us.

Big Frog II

The other 9 schools in the conference (OU included) are there because we all want to be with Texas. The conference didn’t expand 2 years ago because Texas didn’t want to. They like owning the conference. They like putting the Women’s Volleyball team on a bus to Waco instead of a flight to Pullman,Washington or Ann Arbor, Michigan. They like being able to have the revenue of an SEC or Big 10 school and the rest of us are fine with making equivilent or more $ with ACC, and PAC 12. OU is in the playoff year after year. Is A&M or Ark or Auburn or Nebraska or USC ? It doesn’t matter how many games Memphis or Az St won this year or how deserving UCF is. We are all at the mercy of (and using) UT. As long as UT has the kind of revenue they can demand, they have a lot of great reasons to maintain the status quo and so do the rest of us.
As long as they maintain a status quo of losing to us in football, I'm fine with it.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
As long as they maintain a status quo of losing to us in football, I'm fine with it.
UT’s inability to perform more like OU is a head scratcher. Ruhle and GP prove that the coach is everything. (That and scholarship limits) Being able to pay players openly for advertising might tip things back in their favor though.

y2kFrog

Unless you are obviously bettering the conference I have no idea why you divide revenue by 12 instead of 10. Bottom line the only reason why you would add anybody is to increase revenue per school. I don’t think any G5 would at this point except maybe UCF. The problem then lies, the would need a partner. Our best bet is to hang around and see if any P5’s get tired of there situation.

Moose Stuff

Memphis just barely beat a bad (by P5 standards) Ole Miss team in Memphis this year. It's not unreasonable to think that they only would've won 6 or 7 games if they were playing in the Big 12.

And yes, I know that the easy retort to that for some of you will be "but Country, didn't we just hate it when people used to say that about TCU back in our MWC days so we shouldn't look down on these better teams from smaller conferences." TCU had legitimately really good teams and proved it over and over again against big time competition over a period of years. It's kind of like comparing our C-USA team that won the Liberty Bowl in 02 to those great teams we had in the MWC years. That Liberty Bowl team was good by C-USA standards but no way was the program in a place to compete at the highest level at that time the way they were by 08-11.

We also had years where we won 9-10 games and probably had teams that weren’t any better than the last two years. We all knew it but just didn’t want to say the words.

MTfrog5

We also had years where we won 9-10 games and probably had teams that weren’t any better than the last two years. We all knew it but just didn’t want to say the words.
Think 08-10 are the only teams that could have truly competed for a top 3 spot in the Big 12. All 3 of those teams and maybe even the 2011 team win this years Big 12 pretty easily imo

Wexahu

Think 08-10 are the only teams that could have truly competed for a top 3 spot in the Big 12. All 3 of those teams and maybe even the 2011 team win this years Big 12 pretty easily imo

“Pretty easily” might be a stretch.

I have a hard time understanding the idea that we need to start recruiting better to consistently compete for championships if those four teams would’ve won this years Big 12 pretty easily. Those two things together don’t make sense.

MTfrog5

“Pretty easily” might be a stretch.

I have a hard time understanding the idea that we need to start recruiting better to consistently compete for championships if those four teams would’ve won this years Big 12 pretty easily. Those two things together don’t make sense.
This year easily. Those Big 12 years maybe not easily but they finish in the top 2. Our 08 team held OU to 35 points and that is still probably the best offense I’ve seen in person (went to the OU Texas game). Think we are right there with OU Tech and Texas that year.

westoverhillbilly

I'm sorry to say, but commuter schools are a subtraction instead of an addition.. Name one commuter school since Bill Yoeman who left UH in the late 80s (and was a bit like Gary) who could maintain a successful head coach.. From our time in the mid majors, I remember going to see our Frogs play at the commuters in empty stadiums which is what happens when they have down years (some are empty even during their best years).. Then, when they go to prominent bowl games, the parts of the stadium designated for their fans (that the commuter school has to buy) are empty..