• The KillerFrogs

* * 'Memories of Texas Football' and John Fitzgerald Booty

Assassin

Wow. Now that was interesting. Three people told me about the Ignore feature here. I guess spewing isnt that popular.

Anyway, hope to the Part 2 done today or tomorrow. Will post the link. It includes his time at Cisco, TCU, getting drafted, NFL, post NFL, etc

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 3

NORMLFROG

Thanks for sharing this. John was a teammate back in the 80's. I knew some of this back story although not all the details. John was a great talent and a pro's pro...if that makes any sense. All those Carthage/TCU guys were teammates...Good guys, with a little outlaw mixed in for good measure....especially one of those guys!

NF

Assassin

Thanks for sharing this. John was a teammate back in the 80's. I knew some of this back story although not all the details. John was a great talent and a pro's pro...if that makes any sense. All those Carthage/TCU guys were teammates...Good guys, with a little outlaw mixed in for good measure....especially one of those guys!

NF
You bet. I'm setting up the webpage right now for Part 2, it will be up shortly.

Shoot me a PM and let me know who you are, I'll pass it on to John. (BTW - dont ya love his mom?)

Eight

Wow. Now that was interesting. Three people told me about the Ignore feature here. I guess spewing isnt that popular.

Anyway, hope to the Part 2 done today or tomorrow. Will post the link. It includes his time at Cisco, TCU, getting drafted, NFL, post NFL, etc

hmmmm....edited text

you must have worked in baylor's title 9 offense

Virginia Frog

The Booty piece was great.

Thanks Assassin for connecting us with the MofD site.

I love "behind the scenes" stories. As a music industry/showbiz pro, I particularly liked the Mike Nesmith and Barry Corbin articles. As an aside, I met Mickey Dolenz and his sister CoCo (back up vocals) a few years ago - I also know a musician that plays in his current band.

I've seen JB on WJLA-7 in DC, never made the connection that he was a TCU man.

tcudoc

tumblr_mlmw3fJdsX1qmkl6wo1_400.gif

Assassin

I love "behind the scenes" stories. As a music industry/showbiz pro, I particularly liked the Mike Nesmith and Barry Corbin articles. As an aside, I met Mickey Dolenz and his sister CoCo (back up vocals) a few years ago - I also know a musician that plays in his current band.

I've seen JB on WJLA-7 in DC, never made the connection that he was a TCU man.

he loves TCU!

Thanks for the notes on Mike and Barry. You probably know Angus Wynne, founder of Showco and behind the 69 and 2019 Pop Festivals. He's on my Board of Directors. John Ford Coley is another interview. Hope you enjoy the rest of them

Assassin

I've seen JB on WJLA-7 in DC, never made the connection that he was a TCU man
I love "behind the scenes" stories. As a music industry/showbiz pro, I particularly liked the Mike Nesmith and Barry Corbin articles. As an aside, I met Mickey Dolenz and his sister CoCo (back up vocals) a few years ago - I also know a musician that plays in his current band..

oh, check out the Phil Weir piece. He was partner with Willie Nelson on Whiskey River... some interesting things to say

Virginia Frog

oh, check out the Phil Weir piece. He was partner with Willie Nelson on Whiskey River... some interesting things to say
Another showbiz/music candidate for a MoD article would be Jim Seals (Seals and Croft.) He has Dallas roots, I believe he's down in the TX Hill Country today. John Ford Coley would likely know where he is since "England Dan" - Jim's bro. was his musical mate back in the day. I don't know him. Here's and old Tx Monthly article: https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/secret-oil-patch-roots-summer-breeze/

Angus Wynne, I know the name from Six Flags, that was the 3rd's dad. Your AW, 3rd I looked him up on wiki. What popped in my head when I saw his bday was 12/25/43 very close to Jim Morrison (12/08/43) - a former neighbor (3 blocks away) - same HS, 10 year apart. I was too young when he was here in '58-'61.

I never really was involved with the large-scale "festival" world which have largely been killed off by amphitheaters with a more controlled environment, and ample facilities. Also now there are annual festivals like Bonnaroo and Cochella with permanent sites. Getting permits to put on a one-time show is close to impossible - it almost killed Woodstock in '69 - the concert was moved 50 miles just weeks before to Bethel NY - Max Yasgur's farm. They tried to do a 50 year re-do last summer and were unsuccessful. The Woodstock festival site is now gentrified and has a beautiful concert facility and has the "Museum at Bethel Woods" memorializing that weekend. I know the museum director there.

I looked up Angus' Dallas Pop 1969 festival. Unbelievable line-up of talent. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_International_Pop_Festival The only acts that were there that I've had contact with are Carlos Santana, Sly and the Family Stone (now The Family Stone, Sly apparently is in a world of his own) - Dallas roots there, and distantly Led Zeppelin via The Yardbirds - the predecessor of LZ.

The festival that really started it all, the Monterrey Pop Festival 1967 was produced by another that went to my HS way before me: John Phillips - "Mamas & the Papas" (along with Lou Adler.) I was just too young to have that experience.

Trivia: Woodstock was such a mess and so poorly managed, almost a comedy of errors. Time ran out on the pre-concert construction so the decision was made to build the stage and not complete the fencing. The turnout was huge since with no perimeter effectively the concert was FREE to all comers. it was a big financial loss for all the investors. The silver lining was the film that Michael Lang authorized gave the festival mythic status. The profitability came, long term, from the licensing of it's famed logo: with doves on the guitar neck and the words "3 days of Peace and Love."

Last edited:

Assassin

Another showbiz/music candidate for a MoD article would be Jim Seals (Seals and Croft.) He has Dallas roots, I believe he's down in the TX Hill Country today. John Ford Coley would likely know where he is since "England Dan" - Jim's bro. was his musical mate back in the day. I don't know him. Here's and old Tx Monthly article: https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/secret-oil-patch-roots-summer-breeze/

Angus Wynne, I know the name from Six Flags, that was the 3rd's dad. Your AW, 3rd I looked him up on wiki. What popped in my head when I saw his bday was 12/25/43 very close to Jim Morrison (12/08/43) - a former neighbor (3 blocks away) - same HS, 10 year apart. I was too young when he was here in '58-'61.

I never really was involved with the large-scale "festival" world which have largely been killed off by amphitheaters with a more controlled environment, and ample facilities. Also now there are annual festivals like Bonnaroo and Cochella with permanent sites. Getting permits to put on a one-time show is close to impossible - it almost killed Woodstock in '69 - the concert was moved 50 miles just weeks before to Bethel NY - Max Yasgur's farm. They tried to do a 50 year re-do last summer and were unsuccessful. The Woodstock festival site is now gentrified and has a beautiful concert facility and has the "Museum at Bethel Woods" memorializing that weekend. I know the museum director there.

I looked up Angus' Dallas Pop 1969 festival. Unbelievable line-up of talent. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_International_Pop_Festival The only acts that were there that I've had contact with are Carlos Santana, Sly and the Family Stone (now The Family Stone, Sly apparently is in a world of his own) - Dallas roots there, and distantly Led Zeppelin via The Yardbirds - the predecessor of LZ.

The festival that really started it all, the Monterrey Pop Festival 1967 was produced by another that went to my HS way before me: John Phillips - "Mamas & the Papas" (along with Lou Adler.) I was just too young to have that experience.

Trivia: Woodstock was such a mess and so poorly managed, almost a comedy of errors. Time ran out on the pre-concert construction so the decision was made to build the stage and not complete the fencing. The turnout was huge since with no perimeter effectively the concert was FREE to all comers. it was a big financial loss for all the investors. The silver lining was the film that Michael Lang authorized gave the festival mythic status. The profitability came, long term, from the licensing of it's famed logo: with doves on the guitar neck and the words "3 days of Peace and Love."

absolutely. Woodstock was just a couple of weeks before Texas pop in 1969. Lots of the folks from across the pond stayed here for that. Memories was a sponsor of the 2019 festival. I was there for the first night with Mayall, Edgar Winter and ZZ Top. I'll see if I can find the video

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0044.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0044.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 4

Virginia Frog

absolutely. Woodstock was just a couple of weeks before Texas pop in 1969. Lots of the folks from across the pond stayed here for that. Memories was a sponsor of the 2019 festival. I was there for the first night with Mayall, Edgar Winter and ZZ Top. I'll see if I can find the video
The "Woodstock" film had a lot to do with its long term acclaim. The events there were dramatic and the real story really is about the people there including the attendees and the how the rolling- with -the -punches attitude they displayed dealing with lots of adversity including traffic jams, bad weather and insufficient 3rd world-like facilities. In spite of it everyone endured and enjoyed with virtually little bad behavior or strife. (most of the "kids" at WS were NOT long hair-type "hippies" as is commonly thought but normal looking school and college kids looking for a FREE good time.)

While the Texas Dallas concert was 2 weeks after...Atlantic City Festival, with over 100K attendance, had many of Woodstock's music line-up a couple weekends before - and nobody talks today about AC or Texas for that mater. This demonstrates the power of film in creating legends.

Last edited: