• The KillerFrogs

Matt Campbell

Boomhauer

Does Joanne's carpet match the drapes?!

c7cb399b-a6fb-4659-87f3-0d9d030f9af4_text.gif

Mean Purple

Same argument people use for Campbell they use against Dykes, or at least don't use for him. Unless people think SMU is an easy place to win at, which would be odd because they haven't won jack squat at SMU in more than 35 years.

FWIW, I'd take Campbell in a heartbeat, but I don't think he's a very realistic candidate.
Winning at Iowa State, IMO, is harder than winning at SMU because of the league Iowa State is in. Again, he could do more at another school. I think TCU, because of facilities and support and recruiting area is one of those. Obviously, Penn State is another.
Yep, same can be said for Dykes. But I think Campbell would be ideal. Like you, I don't think it is realistic.

I'm good with Napier because of the systems he has been in and what he is doing. Would think that Napier and Dykes are the top two they are looking at. Who knows.

Jackson

I would love Campbell to lead the Frogs. I think Iowa State fans (much like TCU fans for so many years) are absolutely right to laugh off every fanbase that thinks they are going to steal MC away every year. He's absolutely NOT leaving...until he does. For TCU and GP it was 21 years before the leaving actually happened...and it didn't happen the way TCU fans (retiring with glory) or outsiders (leave lil' ole TCU for the big time) thought it would go down for so many years.

I do think both Iowa State and TCU fans alike are being too dismissive of the idea that MC would consider TCU. MC has turned Iowa State into a solid program...which at Iowa State means 7-9 wins.

TCU has a better history as a football program than Iowa State. TCU has done more in the Big 12 in 9 years than Iowa State has in 25. The TCU HC position is a better job than the Iowa State job.

You can say no way MC is coming to TCU...and I won't even argue with you. But don't try and argue that TCU would somehow be a step down from mighty Iowa State. And in the unlikely scenario that MC did finally decide to pull the rip cord and leave Iowa State with TCU being the landing spot....don't let your jaws hit the floor because this is an incredibly desirable job for a long list of reasons and in a vacuum the TCU job is 100% a better job than the one in Ames

Congrats to the Cyclones on curb stomping the short horns and I hope you do the same to OU in a couple of weeks!
TCU is clearly a better Program than Iowa State. Iowa State has a solid FB Program that’ll never be great.

Limey Frog

Your point?

Just that I wouldn't dismiss Campbell's considerable potential as a coach who could get the most out of the players TCU has now and can recruit in future. Not that I think he's going to take this job; it would be a slightly better than lateral move, and one that would upset a lot of people at a place he doesn't likely want to leave bad blood behind him. I think he'll wait for Penn State, Nebraska, etc.

Cyclone1214

Bless your heart. Every P5 coach has an agent.

It’s most likely Jimmy Sexton and his team at CAA. I can guarantee you the coach making $4 million a year and getting interest from multiple college and NFL teams, most certainly has an agent.
Matt Campbell literally does not have an agent, he does all his contract renegotiations himself. Obviously he has a lawyer, he’d be dumb not to, but he doesn’t have an agent.

Edit: Just to show you. Here is one source. Here’s another, with a direct quote from Jamie Pollard saying Campbell doesn’t have an agent. There’s plenty of articles online saying the same thing.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

Bless your heart. Every P5 coach has an agent.

It’s most likely Jimmy Sexton and his team at CAA. I can guarantee you the coach making $4 million a year and getting interest from multiple college and NFL teams, most certainly has an agent
It was reported after the whole Detroit "offer" that Campbell does not have an agent. That was back in May.

westoverhillbilly

This may sound crazy, but I think it's not inconceivable that this story may have leaked on purpose from the Campbell camp so that everyone is a little bit on notice for him to come to TCU. Why else would a story like this have made its way to the media? TCU certainly wouldn't have leaked it if they were pursuing Campbell. Then again,a large probability is that it's all be fluff and Campbell is completely not interested. Who knows?

Frog-in-law1995

This may sound crazy, but I think it's not inconceivable that this story may have leaked on purpose from the Campbell camp so that everyone is a little bit on notice for him to come to TCU. Why else would a story like this have made its way to the media? TCU certainly wouldn't have leaked it if they were pursuing Campbell. Then again,a large probability is that it's all be fluff and Campbell is completely not interested. Who knows?
Isn’t it more likely Campbell leaked it to get a raise at Iowa State?

4th. down

TCU is clearly a better Program than Iowa State. Iowa State has a solid FB Program that’ll never be great.
And the reason why, talent. If you use a star rating as your benchmark, he doesn't really have much which at the end of the day is impressive. You give him our situation, location, infrastructure, money, etc. and he would do very good imo but can we wait....what if he says we can talk after the bowl game......too late for us.

Wexahu

And the reason why, talent. If you use a star rating as your benchmark, he doesn't really have much which at the end of the day is impressive. You give him our situation, location, infrastructure, money, etc. and he would do very good imo but can we wait....what if he says we can talk after the bowl game......too late for us.
I agree.

But this has become a selective argument, we could say the same thing about every candidate we are looking at. But some are convinced certain candidates simply couldn't do any better at TCU than what they've done in their careers up to this point. That "ceilings" have already been established.