• The KillerFrogs

Love and respect GP but

EternalFrog

I love that Mack just had to punch that one last TD in against Wyoming with 1 minute left. Could have easily taken a knee, but had to give the UT fans something to gloat about

Exactly. Meanwhile, Mack is throwing for their last TD with the starters still in with less than 3 minutes to play. Tell Watson that GP just took a page from his brother's playbook.

Frogs1983

Why did he play AD and most of the first team well into the game if he didn't want to run up the score?

Personally felt CGP didn't have a good grasp on what to do with this game and he needs to reel back some on his comments.
Personally I feel he needs to quit scheduling these type of opponents then he won't have to worry about apologizing after the game for scoring 60!
Damm shame we have to follow up the atmosphere of OSU game with a clunker of an opponent like Tenn.Tech for our real Home opener IMO.Still had 37k plus at the game. If we'd had a DIV. 1 ,(or whatever they are calling them now)opponent,ACS would have been sold out most likely.
Guess I'm old enough to remember when TCU used to play the likes of Georgia,Auburn,Ohio State,etc,, in non conference games.(Yeh we usually lost but at least we weren't apologizing for who we played).

BigEasyFrog

did he really have to complain about Hightower scoring a touch down ? He is a 5th year senior fullback that has only carried the ball one other time. I get it, this was an FCS opponent and the win means nothing. I get it, Watson Brown is is friend and he did not want to hang 60 on his team. However, if he was that worried about it, he should have taken Dalton and company out in the third quarter. It would have been much better for the young guys to play ealier in the game when passing was still an option...I get it too that the first team probably needed the practice. Its not our falt that our tallent level is at a point that even when they know we are going to run the ball with our back ups in that we are still unstoppable against an FCS team. Congrats to Hightower, the team and all of the young guys that got their first taste. Im glad there were no significant injuries on either side, now lets get back to work. Patterson is correct that this win does not mean much, thats why I hate these FCS games.
Was going to make a thread about this just now but I pretty much agree with you generally speaking.

I definitely appreciate Patterson's mindset to basically call off the dogs when a game is all but settled, but it's not his fault that their 3rd stringers cannot stop our 3rd stringers from scoring if we're basically just handing the ball off all quarter or throwing dinky passes meant to just go for 5 yards or wasting more clock. This I wish Patterson would just let go. This was the same kinda thing that happened when we beat Wyoming big a few years ago at home and Jackson the backup QB just did a QB sneak on 4th and about 4 or 5 and "accidentally" scored. I personally would not apologize for scoring more with my backups or scrubs on their backups/scrubs if they still can't stop us even when we're still wasting time off the clock. I'm not going to just accidentally fall or kneel down to kill a play either unless there's a minute left in the game or whatever.

FrankDMaynard

I remember when Texas beat us 81-16 and Darrell Royal was asked if he was trying to run up the score on us and I believe his answer was something like, "We were playing our 2nd and 3rd teamers and they have mama's and girlfriends, too". I personally think it's more disrespectful to put your 2nds and 3rds in too early...it kinda depends on the score though.

Ohiofrog

I think GP is like many of us and does not like playing these FCS games. The ones needed some work. I just think if you really dont want a big score start alternating the 2 and 3s and the beginning of the second half and dont blame the reserves for getting fired up and scoring a couple of touchdowns. The best solution is to stop scheduling these games. Again, no one got hurt on either side which is the most important thing of all. Good luck to the Eagles the rest of the season and lets move on to Baylor. Go Frogs !!

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Wasn't like we were passing on them. I wanted us to because I wanted to see Pachall wing a couple.

You can't tell backups not to play. Those were runs, with gaping holes James, Dean and and then Hightower hit.

I see no need to apologize for it, myself.

Froggy Style

GP is just being tactical and lowering expectations for the media for the time when we don't blow someone out. He doesn't want them to point to this game.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
I may be in the minority here, but I understood why the ones were stil in. The offense still isn't lookong sharp. AD and the receivers needed the reps to try and start clicking.

Agree - did any of you SEE that cluster-f of a 2nd quarter? The 1st team NEEDED the work.

Mike Brooks

I love that Mack just had to punch that one last TD in against Wyoming with 1 minute left. Could have easily taken a knee, but had to give the UT fans something to gloat about
I especially liked how, with 2 minutes and change left and all his starters in, he dialed up an enzone shot from 35 yards out. Very Grant Teaffy and Jacky Sherrilly.

TheSheik

Patterson should have pulled the starters after the first TD in my opinion, no need to risk injury to the starters

win by one....

dweller

I thought after a pretty lackluster second quarter by the offense that it made a lot of sense to keep the first team in for the third quarter to let them get into a rhythm so that the game isn't a total waste. They got their act together on that last drive in the third quarter, and the backups came in after that.
Exactly, good point. The last TD was the one GP was talking about. With the lead at 55-7, and about 4 minutes left in the game GP did not want to score another TD. The last two TD's were scored by the second team, all on the ground, and the last by a fullback from the 17 yd line. No trick plays, no misdirection. In fact the play that was called for Hightower was up the middle, and he read the "D" and cut back to the left side and no one was there. It was a great run by a 5th year senior. It's not like there was 1:30 left and TCU was still running the ball instead of taking a knee.

GP has changed is offensive philosophy becuase of TCU's Top 10 ranking. He knows that against inferior teams you MUST WIN big so that you don't lose pull with the voters. I don't think he likes it, but he has learned if he wants a shot at the MNC he has to do it.

FROGDADDY

If I was the other team's coach I'd be just as offended that GP felt the need to be so vocal about how he didn't want to run up the score against my pathetic little team. Just say nothing, who cares?

weklfrog

Tenn Tech knew what they were getting into when they signed the contract for a big paycheck for their program. They did not agree to play this game for competitive football, they were looking for a paycheck in exchange for knowingly getting the fool beat out of them. They got exactly what they wanted out of the game. No need to apologize for that.

pcf

Exactly. Meanwhile, Mack is throwing for their last TD with the starters still in with less than 3 minutes to play. Tell Watson that GP just took a page from his brother's playbook.
Can't you just hear his response?

"We have such respect for the Wyoming team that we weren't sure we could hold a mere 20 point lead with 3 minutes left. All you need is one Offensive, one defensive and one ST TD and you lose that game. We also needed to work on our quick strike offense late in the game. We weren't even looking at the scoreboard, we were looking at practicing from that field position as valuable experience for later in the year. It was the most respectful way to approach it."

He's as transparent as Eddie Haskell.

Matthewavp

I may be in the minority here, but I understood why the ones were stil in. The offense still isn't lookong sharp. AD and the receivers needed the reps to try and start clicking.

Agree with this and Mike M. They needed to keep working after that poor 2nd. Patterson said he was excited that it was Hightower who scored although he wished they didn't score again. What do you do though? You run a backup fullback and he broke it.....nothing you can do about it.

Trelvis

Uh...4 touchdowns not comfortable enough for you? No reason to still have Andy taking hits in the middle to late third.

The first team looked like crap in the first half. They needed to get the extra work. Im glad he played them. I am also glad we hung 60 on them. It might not be the best thing, but its what needs to be done.

BABYFACE

Ah the irony, people complain of the win by one point mantra then complain of a blowout. I don't have a problem with the blowout, TCU wasn't throwing the ball in the 4th Qtr, they just ran the ball. To do any less, they would had to take a knee for the whole 4th Qtr.