• The KillerFrogs

Looking to try new Fort Worth tex mex place

PurpleBlood87

Apologies, didn't see the hole-in-the-wall part.

We went to Mercardo Juarez last month and it was really good. The salsa and chips were warm and the chicken enchiladas plus rice and beans were tasty. My mother got the Charro beans instead of refried and said they were good.

Last edited:

frogetaboutit

El Tequilas on Clifford. The drive is worth it. Fun place with solid to very solid food. Good drinks. The half rocks half frozen margs are well above average.

Chongo94

I’ve given up on Mi Cocula. Every single time I have tried to go there, they have been closed. And it’s not like I’ve been going at random times. They seem to never be open.

FrogPreacher

I have long been a fan of Mi Familia. Nice decor, excellent service, good food. Not a fan of having to pay to park to eat there but that is the case with everything in that area now it seems. 7th and Foch.

OICU812

I’ve given up on Mi Cocula. Every single time I have tried to go there, they have been closed. And it’s not like I’ve been going at random times. They seem to never be open.
I went a few times early on because people bragged on it. It was ok, but not impressive, imo.

OICU812

Los Asaderos is a great hole in the wall. Depending on who is working and what time you go you need to be able to speak some passable Spanish though.
Is that the one on N Main, on the west side before the Stockyards? If so I agree. First found it in the mid-80s as an undergrad and thought it was awesome. Always a good sign to look around and see nothing but Spanish speakers.

Realtorfrog

That sucks! I haven’t had that problem but not surprised. I heard they only hired family and it was an issue, not sure if that’s still the case but they need to do something if they aren’t opening.

OICU812

Will second the suggestion for Jesus BBQ. A fair price for a platter of cheese and onion crack. I’m also a patron of La Tortilandia on Berry.

NF
I forget about them since I moved out of TCU, but they are very good. Not sure if they are TCU alum, but bonus points for repping the brand.

Limp Lizard

My favorite is El Paseo on Jacksboro Hwy. Can really get crowded. Reminds me of the way El Chico was 50 years ago, before big corporations temporarily ruined it by trying to turn it into a California/midwestern style Mexican place. Most of their food in freshly made...the chips seem to be freshly fried.

My favorite unique Tex-Mex place was Caros on Bluebonnet Circle. Very unusual but tasty. It's what I went to when I did not want traditional Tex-Mex.

Latest posts