• The KillerFrogs

Look, TCU's offense has not looked as explosive

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
as it should with all this talent and experience......

but I don't want to hear a bunch of crap about how good Utah is and we better look out...

Utah's opponents combined record so far this year is 7-26.

If we take care of business and the OL does its job...we win.
If we screw around on offense and don't score TD's, let them hang around - then we could get beat like the last time we were there and our kicker missed two game winning field goals.

But Utah is NOT an elite team!!

Our offense has to win that game. Utah is above average, but not unbelievable!

JugbandFrog

our offense looks like sheet. Inconsistent and they have this "superiority complex" as if they are better then people and when they think they are, they get shut down. We need to form an identity and form it fast or we will come out of the AFA, UNLV, Utah stretch 1-2.

JugbandFrog

40 points a game against a bunch of scrubs. Do not be a kool aid drinker and just think cuz we "average" 40 points a game that we are a good offense. Nebraska found out the hard way today that you have to be more than a one man show to be a good offense.

We have all the elements to be more than what we are, but we have no identity on offense. Our OC's are all over the place and it worries me. We have been up and down all season and we have had consistent drives only a few time this season.

The defense has improved week to week but the offense has not.

tcumaniac

our offense looks like sheet. Inconsistent and they have this "superiority complex" as if they are better then people and when they think they are, they get shut down. We need to form an identity and form it fast or we will come out of the AFA, UNLV, Utah stretch 1-2.

a bit harsh.... but i kinda have to agree... thats the difference between us and Boise. Boise goes out and takes care of business. they dont mess around... we seem to be in some sort of funk every damn game

geefrogs

40 points a game against a bunch of scrubs. Do not be a kool aid drinker and just think cuz we "average" 40 points a game that we are a good offense. Nebraska found out the hard way today that you have to be more than a one man show to be a good offense.

We have all the elements to be more than what we are, but we have no identity on offense. Our OC's are all over the place and it worries me. We have been up and down all season and we have had consistent drives only a few time this season.

The defense has improved week to week but the offense has not.

You guys are OVERREACTING to some questionable play-calling from our OC. No identity?? Have you watched any TCU football this year? Do we not have the best running back in the MWC? He had an 'off game' because BYU loaded the box, so what do we do?? Throw 4 touchdown passes. But thats not good enough for you. Whatever.

When did we ever turn into Nebraska? Who is the one man show? Dalton? Kerley? Wesley? Yeah, we are a one-man show when Josh Boyce is our offensive MVP for the day. Bet the defense saw that coming.

How many games have we 'let off the gas' this year? All of them except for the opener? How many points could we be putting up? We are averaging better offensive stats than last season! What the hell do you guys want?

This isnt playstation-land where TCU scores 70 points a week. We are playing like the #4 in the country should. Beating good teams and dominating the scrubs.

frogs9497

Don't we want Utah to be an "elite" team? We need all of the SOS help we can get.

SMU, AFA, and Oregon St. did us no favors this weekend.

back_in_black

Moderators

I'm sure you know exactly what our guys are thinking. Are you on the team or something? Is that how you got your helmet?

Kaiser

I feel like our offense is completely dependent on daltons accuracy. When he hits guys in stride we are unstoppable. When he doesn't we have some vulnerability. Today I felt we dropped some balls and killed a drive with a snap problem. My only knock on Dalton today was not seeing a wide open Johnson over the middle on 4th down. Instead he threw a rope instead of a touch pass to a receiver. But that's just 1 play.

I'm more psyched that our D seems to be top notch. If they keep it up then I'm not too worried. I thought the O would be carrying us.

Oh, and Utah is legit. I'm only worried about that game because we seem to underperform in slc and our margin for error is low.

Go frogs. (thank you gp for going for it on 4th down)

freebird

a bit harsh.... but i kinda have to agree... thats the difference between us and Boise.
Boise goes out and takes care of business. they dont mess around... we seem to be in some sort of funk every damn game

Agree, however it should be pointed out that they played:

San Jose State 1-6[font="verdana][size="3"]
Team Stat [/size]

San Jose St[/font]

[font="verdana]1st Downs 6[/font][/b]
[b][font="verdana][size="2"]3rd down efficiency [/size]2-15[/font]

[font="verdana][size="2"]4th down efficiency [/size]0-1[/font]
[font="verdana]Total Yards 80[/font][/b]
[b][font="verdana]Passing 92[/font][/b]
[b][font="verdana][size="2"]Comp-Att [/size]10-23[/font]

[font="verdana][size="2"]Yards per pass [/size]4.0[/font]
[font="verdana]Rushing [b][color="#FF0000"]-12[/color][/font][/b]
[font="verdana][size="2"]Rushing Attempts [/size]29[/font]
[font="verdana][size="2"]Yards per rush [/size]-0.4[/font]
[font="verdana]Penalties 4-26[/font][/b]
[b][font="verdana]Turnovers 1[/font][/b]
[b][font="verdana][size="2"]Interceptions thrown [/size]1[/font]

[font="verdana]Possession 28:24[/font][/b][font="verdana][size="2"]

[/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="2"]2010 OVERALL FBS RANKINGS

PASSING YARDS
[font="helvetica][size="4"]171.3 [/font]99th Overall
[/size]
RUSHING YARDS
[font="helvetica][size="4"]97.8 [/font]106th Overall
[/size]
POINTS FOR
[font="helvetica][size="4"]10.3 [/font]120th Overall
[/size]
POINTS AGAINST
[font="helvetica][size="4"]31.8 [/font]99th Overall
[/size][/size][/font]

JugbandFrog

I'm sure you know exactly what our guys are thinking. Are you on the team or something? Is that how you got your helmet?
Hey, when you line up five wide on fourth down or third and short as we have most of the time this year and ended up with squat, then we have a problem. Either its the coaches or the players themselves, we think we are owed the points/yards and instead of earning them we dance around.

Instead of being insulting, just look at what you see on the field. Only two times this year have we been consistent for four quarters on offense. Baylor and Wyoming. Other than that, it has been a struggle. We get our points, but a lot of that has to do with the quality of the opposition and the fact that our talent comes out on top. I am not confident in our offense's ability to get it done or help out our defense when it matters. I say this especially knowing how we have struggled against AFA in the past and with Utah in Salt Lake looming on the horizon.

sous vide

Hey, when you line up five wide on fourth down or third and short as we have most of the time this year and ended up with squat, then we have a problem. Either its the coaches or the players themselves, we think we are owed the points/yards and instead of earning them we dance around.

Instead of being insulting, just look at what you see on the field. Only two times this year have we been consistent for four quarters on offense. Baylor and Wyoming. Other than that, it has been a struggle. We get our points, but a lot of that has to do with the quality of the opposition and the fact that our talent comes out on top. I am not confident in our offense's ability to get it done or help out our defense when it matters. I say this especially knowing how we have struggled against AFA in the past and with Utah in Salt Lake looming on the horizon.

"Explosive"? Probably not. Yet, to address your specific criticisms the facts are as follows: TCU is #4 in the country in first downs and # 11 in the country in third down conversions. They are down in 4th down conversions a ways, but with such small numbers, stats and rankings aren't reliable. Therefore, I don't see great problems here with respect to consistency and third down production compared to the rest of the universe of college teams. It's a game where the other side really does try to affect "perfection". The Frogs are doing quite well.

That said, many of what most think of as "top" offenses are much lower on both measures as these are, to my mind, both measures of ball control and not "explosivity". CGP is quite clearly in the ball control camp and not the explosives camp. That's just what we're gonna get as long as he's around, I think.

This above arguments are, I think, apparent when you look at the top teams on these measures...

The top 15 in first down production are:
Nevada
Oregon
Tulsa
TCU
Wisconsin
Stanford
North Carolina State
Northwestern
USC
Hawaii
Arizona State
Auburn
Air Force
UTEP
Alabama

The top 15 in third down conversions are:
Nevada
Stanford
USC
Air Force
South Carolina
Utah
Wisconsin
UTEP
TCU
Houston
Mississippi State
Florida State
Northwestern
Northern Illinois
Kansas

Oregon, BTW is 22nd on the 2nd measure and so seems to be statistically at least trying the same sort of strategy as the Frogs as they are high on both. Wisconsin too though hopefully they, at least, are no threat to us. Nevada against Boise might be interesting if they can keep Moore on the bench.

neutral observer

a bit harsh.... but i kinda have to agree... thats the difference between us and Boise. Boise goes out and takes care of business. they dont mess around... we seem to be in some sort of funk every damn game

Agree! The injuries to the OL haven't helped either! The offense seems kind of conservative again. Mike is not back, is he?