• The KillerFrogs

Live chat with Schlossnagle

Leap Frog

Thanks, Burner for posting this, it was very informative. If that was our Wes, he asked the same question I would have. As per Matt Carpenter, I am a Cardinal fan and watch their games on Fox Midwest. I think Matt tried a little too hard, but they really like his work ethic and he will be back in the bigs before long.

ricksterh

August 15th.

Thanks for the reply leo. what is the significance of August 15th? Also on the draft last year the teams could pay out of slot money and we lost a player because of that who was coming to TCU. That was supposed to end and the teams were going to have to stay within slot money at some point in time. Is that this year or still down the line? :unsure:

leofrog

Thanks for the reply leo. what is the significance of August 15th? Also on the draft last year the teams could pay out of slot money and we lost a player because of that who was coming to TCU. That was supposed to end and the teams were going to have to stay within slot money at some point in time. Is that this year or still down the line? :unsure:
11PM on August 15th is the deadline day for pro teams to sign their draft picks. So, we won't know the final roster until that day, and I guess a week later when classes start.

I think teams can still sign over slot this year, so with some of our players and recruits, we won't know until closer to the 15th.

FungoFrog

Tier 1
Notes:

- Schloss reveiled Winkler did have surgery on that right arm, although everything I had heard said it wasn't a Tommy John surgery but rather surgery to stabalize the fracture in his arm. But, regardless, it sounds like he won't throw between now and the deadline so his value to the Diamondbacks is still substantially reduced. I think he is coming back.

- Schultz will not be returning in the fall.

- Sounds like Zac is maybe 50/50 for the fall, maybe less.

- For next year, he mentioned he would like a Purke, Mitchell and new guy rotation, with Crichton, Frey and Merck staying in the pen.

- He thinks Brett is a third baseman, but won't displace Witte. Sounds like he is a 1B and 2B next year.

- He thinks we will get 2 or 3 of our underclassmen drafted back next year... I would think those are Winkler and Purke, maybe Coats.

- He indicated in a number of places that the recruiting class will play big roles next year, obviously depending on who comes back and keeps their commit.

- In the next year we will have fences moved in. Also sounds like a upgrade to the video board, scoreboard and some outfield seating are on the way, pending donors.

PurplePainD

Notes:

- Schloss reveiled Winkler did have surgery on that right arm, although everything I had heard said it wasn't a Tommy John surgery but rather surgery to stabalize the fracture in his arm. But, regardless, it sounds like he won't throw between now and the deadline so his value to the Diamondbacks is still substantially reduced. I think he is coming back.

- For next year, he mentioned he would like a Purke, Mitchell and new guy rotation, with Crichton, Frey and Merck staying in the pen.

- He thinks Brett is a third baseman, but won't displace Witte. Sounds like he is a 1B and 2B next year.

- He thinks we will get 2 or 3 of our underclassmen drafted back next year... I would think those are Winkler and Purke, maybe Coats.

- He indicated in a number of places that the recruiting class will play big roles next year, obviously depending on who comes back and keeps their commit.

- In the next year we will have fences moved in. Also sounds like a upgrade to the video board, scoreboard and some outfield seating are on the way, pending donors.

Thanks Ranger Fan, that's what I call a prompt reply

FungoFrog

Tier 1
Notes:

Actually, reading between the lines it sounds like Winkler won't be coming back. He doesn't mention him in the starter discussion, but I guess that could just be an honest omission...

And on who that third starter might be, I would think Jerrick Suiter, provided he doesn't sign, will be the leading candidate.

FungoFrog

Tier 1
I would suspect the pitcher recruit who was drafted late in the 1st round by the Gaints probably would not be at TCU? :unsure:

Kyle Crick is who you speak of. I don't think so, he hasn't indicated he is interested in waiting before starting his pro career. But anything can happen....

And ya I forgot the article about Winkler, you are right he isn't going to come back.

Scott

"KillerFrogs.com....your source for TCU SPORTS"
Heard that Teddy Nowell had his scholly taken away & will not return. Did he say anything concerning that?

FungoFrog

Tier 1
isn't Winkler a Sr and gone anyway?

No, he is a junior.

Scott- I had heard that was a possibility coming into this season due to scholarship restrictions, big big class coming in the fall. I didn't want to post anything about it with the chance it isn't true, Schloss didnt mention anything about it, wasn't asked.

Houston Frog

Unless people are going off of stuff other than what was in that article, Winkler didn't say flat out he was leaving. I thought the headline of that article was a little misleading. Here's that whole part of the article....

Kyle Winkler will probably choose to remember all the huge games he won throughout his TCU career. Not his last pitch of the 2011 season, which came in the first inning of Sunday's season-ending loss. After battling stress reaction pain in his throwing arm since early May, Winkler has likely pitched his last game as a Horned Frog.

The right-handed junior expects to sign with the Arizona Diamondbacks after being selected in the 10th round of the Major League Baseball draft Tuesday. Milwaukee drafted Winkler in the 37th round in 2008, but he decided to attend TCU.

"I already passed up the opportunity to play pro ball once, it's really hard to do it again," said Winkler, who did not rule out returning to TCU for his senior season.

Winkler was projected to go higher in the draft after a strong start this season. He finished with an 8-2 record and a 1.39 ERA in 90 2/3 innings, despite missing several starts in May because of arm pain. With TCU facing elimination, Winkler told coaches he was fine to pitch five or six innings Sunday, hoping to extend the Frogs' season, even though the draft was the next day.

Winkler felt some pain while retiring the first two batters and TCU coach Jim Schlossnagle and trainer Danny Wheat both recognized atypical body language and rushed to the mound. Winkler insisted he was OK, but two pitches later he felt something pop.

Winkler awaited MRI results Wednesday and expects no structural damage.

"It's been the best years of my life, that's for sure," he said of TCU. "It's a tough decision, even if I get [monetarily] what I want [to sign with Arizona]. It's tough to leave all my friends and coaches and the program that I helped build."

I wouldn't put money on him coming back, but based on that, I don't think it's a done deal.