• The KillerFrogs

Kyle Winkler Signs(And Signing Updates Thread)

FungoFrog

Tier 1
JUCO RHP Cody Anderson, a 14th round pick by the Cleveland Indians, has signed by $250,000

Loss for the Frogs, he would have played a big role.

FROGDADDY

$250 grand, is that all...

a TCU education is worth almost that. Dude should have waited and see his worth in a couple of years after a stellar career in Fort Worth.
He only would have been here two years, so not worth almost 250K. Also, you can safely assume that Cleveland is paying for the rest of his school on top of the bonus.

Leap Frog

Speaking of losses, I notice Ryan Schotzberger, volunteer coach, is not listed on the roster. I thought he did nice job with the team-- anyone know what happened?

ricksterh

As I understand it August 15th is the last day players can sign so the next day we will know who is coming to TCU and who will play pro? Not long now...

FungoFrog

Tier 1
As I understand it August 15th is the last day players can sign so the next day we will know who is coming to TCU and who will play pro? Not long now...

Yep, late Sunday we will all know the makeup of the roster, minus walkons, for 2012.

As for Schotz, it was going to happen. Most people expected it. Not the biggest loss for TCU, VT has to step up a bit and the staff will be just fine.

HoustonHornedFrog

He only would have been here two years, so not worth almost 250K. Also, you can safely assume that Cleveland is paying for the rest of his school on top of the bonus.

I don't know anything about this kid in particular, but after having spent a fair amount of time recently around some JUCO baseball players there aren't many who would pass up the contract in favor of 2 years in a D1 school. Short sighted IMO for the most part, but these are 20 year old kids after all.

FROGDADDY

I don't know anything about this kid in particular, but after having spent a fair amount of time recently around some JUCO baseball players there aren't many who would pass up the contract in favor of 2 years in a D1 school. Short sighted IMO for the most part, but these are 20 year old kids after all.

There are absolutely exceptions, but there is a reason many of these kids go to JC in the first place.

FungoFrog

Tier 1
Quick update:

Mariners signed their third round comp pick, a HS RHP, for $500k. This will set the stage for a Cron signing soon, if it isn't already done.

$1 Million+ bonus is expected.

Cron hinted already tonight on Twitter that something is indeed in motion.

Sigh.......

For all this but faster remember to follow me on Twitter @FungoFrogTCU

And I am cataloging all my updates in blog form over at the Around the Diamond blog all this week.

jake102

I dont' quite understand all of baseball recruiting and whatnot, but can high level recruiting actually hurt you when all your recruits sign? It seems like we are getting killed by all our recruits signing. Obviously, it's great when a Purke decides to come play ball but that doesn't happen often.

FungoFrog

Tier 1
I dont' quite understand all of baseball recruiting and whatnot, but can high level recruiting actually hurt you when all your recruits sign? It seems like we are getting killed by all our recruits signing. Obviously, it's great when a Purke decides to come play ball but that doesn't happen often.

It's a part of college baseball life.

Young and Horned

That is whay killed LSU for a few years. They always had a top class, but they had signed players who were expected to be drafted in top 3 rounds and go pro.

Sucks Wink signed.

Young and Horned

Doesn't mean his parents and advisor aren't still negotiating a deal. He is ensuring his backup plan is solid, he could go to school but it is still iffy.

Oh I know. I know he still has a good chance to sign and he is probably just doing this as leverage to show he is okay with not signing. But still nice to see.