• The KillerFrogs

Kyle Field 2021 Capacity

Zubaz

Do you really think they are going to allow full stadiums if people are still having to wear masks? The rationale behind a mask is that the virus is still a threat. If the virus is still a threat, why would they allow 100% capacity? Masks, but no social distancing seems highly unlikely.
From that same interview:
"I can't say that, Dana," said Fauci. "Because then it will be a sound bite that's not true. I'm saying: We don't know."

Fauci has for the last year been reluctant to promise anything, instead saying things like "a lot can change" and "I don't want to give numbers" or whatever. And yeah he does tend to strike a more cautious tone. I do think outdoor events will be held at full capacity if the vaccine trend continues downward, even if there is a mask mandate in some states (though Texas would surprise me if they still have one). If strains prove to be vaccine resistant, that's different.

Also from the article...high school kids won't be getting the vaccination until the Fall. Younger kids won't be getting it until 2022.

On this last question, Dr. Fauci said on “Fox News Sunday” that he hoped high school students, far fewer of whom have gone back to classrooms compared with younger children, would be eligible for vaccination in the fall.

“That’s why we are pushing on those studies, to get them vaccinated,” he said of teenagers, who are currently the subject of clinical trials by Pfizer and Moderna. “That will likely occur in the fall; I can’t say it’s going to be on day one of when school starts in the fall term.”

Vaccinations for younger children, however, “likely will not be before the beginning of the first quarter of 2022,” Dr. Fauci said.

Do you think we can have stadiums full of high school and younger kids who haven't been vaccinated?
Yes I do, because all evidence suggests that younger kids aren't hospitalized at near the same rate as the at-risk population. If the vaccine breaks the link between cases and hospitalizations, and drops the mortality rate to the oft-memed "just the flu" levels, then there's no reason we wouldn't have full capacity events even with unvaccinated young children.

From that same interview:
"I can't say that, Dana," said Fauci. "Because then it will be a sound bite that's not true. I'm saying: We don't know."

Fauci has for the last year been reluctant to promise anything, instead saying things like "a lot can change" and "I don't want to give numbers" or whatever. And yeah he does tend to strike a more cautious tone. I do think outdoor events will be held at full capacity if the vaccine trend continues downward, even if there is a mask mandate in some states (though Texas would surprise me if they still have one). If strains prove to be vaccine resistant, that's different.

Yes I do, because all evidence suggests that younger kids aren't hospitalized at near the same rate as the at-risk population. If the vaccine breaks the link between cases and hospitalizations, and drops the mortality rate to the oft-memed "just the flu" levels, then there's no reason we wouldn't have full capacity events even with unvaccinated young children.
Then why are the schools empty in numerous places all over the country despite the evidence that they are at low risk of getting and spreading it?

The experts are telling us we'll still have to wear a mask and social distance after we've been vaccinated. If vaccinations can't guarantee you're not a "spreader", and/or vaccinations can't guarantee you won't get it (and become a spreader), don't you think public policy is going to reflect this?

I think Texas will be a "leader" in getting back to normal. I doubt we'll see 100% capacity, though. The mixed messages are baffling, to say the least,

Zubaz

Then why are the schools empty in numerous places all over the country despite the evidence that they are at low risk of getting and spreading it?
Because it's February and we're still rolling out vaccines for the at-risk population. I thought we were discussing where we'll be in the fall, not where we're at today.
The experts are telling us we'll still have to wear a mask and social distance after we've been vaccinated. If vaccinations can't guarantee you're not a "spreader", and/or vaccinations can't guarantee you won't get it (and become a spreader), don't you think public policy is going to reflect this?
I think you are mixing up what the recommendations are right now (where masks and distance for the vaccinated might still be appropriate) vs where the recommendations will be after 6 months of vaccination. As I said, I think Fauci is taking a cautious tone for now but we will hopefully see significant acceleration toward "normal" over the Summer.
The mixed messages are baffling, to say the least,
I actually totally agree with this. More than just being baffling, I'd even go so far as to say that the "overly cautious" tone is having a negative effect. If people think "whatever, nothing is going to change so why bother with vaccination" then they are going to be more reluctant to get it. I can get why Fauci is reluctant to provide a "sound bite" or whatever, but the evidence suggests the vaccines are really, really effective and are a lot closer to getting us back to normal than what they are saying.

Big Frog II

I think we see full capacity. Everyone in this country should have full access to the vaccine by then. They are opening up sites left and right and the production is ramped up to provide everyone a shot or two by the end of summer.

Bob Sugar

So are we going to have to show our card proving we are vaccinated to get in at 100% capacity?

not sure how this state control thing works exactly....
EmptyLankyLhasaapso-max-1mb.gif

No COVID papers

From the NY Times this week (updated 4 hours ago):

Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, President Biden’s chief medical adviser for Covid-19, said on Sunday that Americans may still be wearing masks outside their homes a year from now, even as he predicted the country would return to “a significant degree of normality” by fall.

“I want it to keep going down to a baseline that’s so low there is virtually no threat,” Dr. Fauci said on the CNN program “State of the Union,” referring to the number of cases nationally that would make him comfortable enough to stop recommending universal masking.

Do you really think they are going to allow full stadiums if people are still having to wear masks? The rationale behind a mask is that the virus is still a threat. If the virus is still a threat, why would they allow 100% capacity? Masks, but no social distancing seems highly unlikely.

Also from the article...high school kids won't be getting the vaccination until the Fall. Younger kids won't be getting it until 2022.

On this last question, Dr. Fauci said on “Fox News Sunday” that he hoped high school students, far fewer of whom have gone back to classrooms compared with younger children, would be eligible for vaccination in the fall.

“That’s why we are pushing on those studies, to get them vaccinated,” he said of teenagers, who are currently the subject of clinical trials by Pfizer and Moderna. “That will likely occur in the fall; I can’t say it’s going to be on day one of when school starts in the fall term.”

Vaccinations for younger children, however, “likely will not be before the beginning of the first quarter of 2022,” Dr. Fauci said.

Do you think we can have stadiums full of high school and younger kids who haven't been vaccinated?
You lost me at NY Times and Fauci.