• The KillerFrogs

Klatt’s Take On CF’s Future

Dogfrog

Because it was a national semifinal game and the only game on TV. Also, being on New Years Eve, I would imagine the early game would be better positioned for ratings than the night game.
It didn’t hurt that it was a competitive game throughout. Cinderella factor but also millions pulling for Michigan win and millions pulling for Michigan to lose.

Spike

historically no, even with their recent success in basketball they got nominal attention for a top 10 program
That's surprising. I will never forget that 2007 Texas Bowl, they packed Reliant red. Always thought they could be a sleeping giant. Half the town has taken a semester or a summer school there. Then again, most of Houston is from somewhere else and they are all about the team where they came from. Every Saturday morning the newspaper would show what sports bars are carrying whose games. I once watched the 2004 Northwestern game with about 5 guys from Northwestern at SRO.

Traveling Frog

Where the big 12 failed with 10 members is naturally the more members you have in the conference the more people are interested in those member games. With some smaller schools in the BIG12 that should have been a priority TK have more schools. Very rarely did I watch other conference games unless it was a big one but watched a lot of BIG12 games.

Purp

A lot of eyes settled on that game because TCU was a breath of fresh air, a truly loveable underdog up against the Usual Suspects. That we got the win kept the eyes on the game throughout.

I imagine the National Championship broadcast had a lot of tune-outs about mid 2nd Quarter when Cinderella's chariot threw a rod...
Cinderella's chariot got by an EFP.

HToady

College football is already off the rails and is not coming back. It doesn't matter if Ohio State plays Michigan every weekend. It's no longer for the Alumni or the student or respective school. It's for the guy lying on the couch. 11 o'clock games, loud pulsating music playing over the school bands with DJs, $750 tickets, commercial breaks between downs, and Bud Lite stickers on the players uniforms.....how fun. This first down is brought to you by Trulicity.....

Froginbedford

the question remains is who forms this new entity?

don't see it coming from a current conference and i can't recall a case where a current conference member was "kicked out" which suggests you have "chosen" teams leave their current conferences which is the most plausible scenario, but raises a number of questions

such as who gets to head up this new football collective? do they bring all their sports or just football? etc...
Big East kicked out Temple because of poor attendance....

lowfrog

That's surprising. I will never forget that 2007 Texas Bowl, they packed Reliant red. Always thought they could be a sleeping giant. Half the town has taken a semester or a summer school there. Then again, most of Houston is from somewhere else and they are all about the team where they came from. Every Saturday morning the newspaper would show what sports bars are carrying whose games. I once watched the 2004 Northwestern game with about 5 guys from Northwestern at SRO.
Shortly after Houston was invited to join the Big 12, Dana Holgorson did a rant in a media conference about what it was going to take for Houston to succeed in the Big 12. It was all true, although not pretty for UH. Increased attendance at games in all sports, more eyeballs, more donations, UH is going to have to spend big bucks in athletics, etc. UH has two big problems: (1) their culture, and (2) being in Houston, the 4th largest city in the US with multiple professional sports teams. Culture is difficult to change and they can't change the city they are in.

Endless Purple

In regards to UH, I expect they will be about the same as most of the Big 12 schools. They will get viewers when winning and not get many when losing.

Both mid week games on 31st about noon / 12:30 both on ESPN:
2014 Peach Bowl - 5.01 M viewers (ie. TCU) SEC Ole Miss
2015 Peach Bowl - 5.6 M viewers (ie. UH) ACC FSU

UH will hold their own when winning, just like any other conference member.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
The biggest roadblock to this happening is that there is not an entity that can speak for all the blue blood programs and provide their content.

The conferences are in competition and probably won't band together.
The TV rights are all tied up with the conferences via grant of rights and networks with long term, very lucrative contracts (except the PAC12)
The NCAA is toothless and has zero power over the blue blood teams other than sanctions, but too many schools have sued them and won for them to use that power much.

Klatt mentioned that only the CFB playoff committee might be able to pull this off. However, they don't control the schools, conferences, or networks, so they can't really wield much power unless something drastic happens.

Conceivably, if the top 24 or 32 most monied programs all banded together, jointly leaving their conferences and forming a new organization around a broad football playoff system that might be what it takes. However, the resulting litigation from that would make billionaires out of a lot of lawyers.

Spike

Shortly after Houston was invited to join the Big 12, Dana Holgorson did a rant in a media conference about what it was going to take for Houston to succeed in the Big 12. It was all true, although not pretty for UH. Increased attendance at games in all sports, more eyeballs, more donations, UH is going to have to spend big bucks in athletics, etc. UH has two big problems: (1) their culture, and (2) being in Houston, the 4th largest city in the US with multiple professional sports teams. Culture is difficult to change and they can't change the city they are in.
I did an internship for the DA's office up in Denton a few years back. This is back when Darrell Dickey was coach at University of North Texas and they were dominating the Sunbelt and going to the New Orleans Bowl every year.

The office was a lot of Tech people and several had adopted University of North Texas, atleast while they were winning. Back then tickets were reasonable and parking was a few bucks. I wonder if programs like UH can have same effect. Of course Houston being Houston, I never wanted to go far from home for fear of getting caught in traffic. Seemed like parking was a nightmare everywhere too. Maybe it just sucks to be Houston.

Paint It Purple

A lot of eyes settled on that game because TCU was a breath of fresh air, a truly loveable underdog up against the Usual Suspects. That we got the win kept the eyes on the game throughout.

I imagine the National Championship broadcast had a lot of tune-outs about mid 2nd Quarter when Cinderella's chariot threw a rod...
So you're affirming that little TCU is a draw.

Putt4Purple

If you’re a program isn’t a massive “brand” or doesn’t generate a huge amount of interest, look out. The big boys won’t let you ride their coattails forever. Past realignment was expansion based on getting more TV markets and increasing the subscriber carriage fees for conference networks. The next phase of CFB won’t be expansion but contraction. Alabama and Georgia won’t share with Vandy and the Miss schools forever. Ohio St and Michigan won’t share with Northwestern and Purdue.
I get the main point but how often are people going to watch the same dozen schools football teams go on a weekly merry go round? After a while the interest dies! Go Frogs!

Eight

I get the main point but how often are people going to watch the same dozen schools football teams go on a weekly merry go round? After a while the interest dies! Go Frogs!

By far, the most popular televised sport in a america is the nfl. not even close and while that is more than a dozen, it does make one ponder whether or not a league of a select 32-40 college teams find healthy results as well.

Putt4Purple

By far, the most popular televised sport in a america is the nfl. not even close and while that is more than a dozen, it does make one ponder whether or not a league of a select 32-40 college teams find healthy results as well.
Understood but college loyalty is much stronger than being a fan of any NFL team. No one goes to school or graduates from any NFL team. College is a lifelong attachment and bond.
Don’t get me wrong I have or had a commitment to the Dallas Cowboys for a long time but even that loyalty has dwindled. No so for TCU.

Klaw

In regards to UH, I expect they will be about the same as most of the Big 12 schools. They will get viewers when winning and not get many when losing.

Both mid week games on 31st about noon / 12:30 both on ESPN:
2014 Peach Bowl - 5.01 M viewers (ie. TCU) SEC Ole Miss
2015 Peach Bowl - 5.6 M viewers (ie. UH) ACC FSU

UH will hold their own when winning, just like any other conference member.
Hard to compare TV numbers when the TCU game was a blowout and the UH was competitive